Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reg service kits

While looking for something else I happened on this site (in Italy)

This is a frequent question (where can I get...) So I hope some of you find it useful

http://www.planetdivestore.com/dive/...on-kit/156/rlc

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nice find. Thanks

Now all we need is those dive shops that frequent the board
    doing something useful and explaining how come those retail pricings are so expensive

Apeks 2nd stage Kit Part No AP0219 £14.54
    Apeks 1st stage Kit Part No 267-897 £21.81

Wow Three times trade price now and still our UK LDS miss out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Nice find. Thanks

Now all we need is those dive shops that frequent the board
    doing something useful and explaining how come those retail pricings are so expensive

Apeks 2nd stage Kit Part No AP0219 £14.54
    Apeks 1st stage Kit Part No 267-897 £21.81

Wow Three times trade price now and still our UK LDS miss out.
    It's a little bizarre. For a 1st and 2 x seconds, I can get the whole thing serviced for not much more than those prices. I've also totted up stuff from that Italian site before and the delivery kills it.
    Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    It's a little bizarre. For a 1st and 2 x seconds, I can get the whole thing serviced for not much more than those prices. I've also totted up stuff from that Italian site before and the delivery kills it.
    Because they are soaking recreational divers.
    The UK LDS won’t supply spares kits so as Jonny foreigner knows this he gets to hose us on pricing.

Further this "adjustment balance" in the kits pricing is an Apeks UK "fix" so to make you go to your LDS.
    And as you say its almost the same price so you automatically think the LDS is doing you a great deal.

Three times retail is a tad steep, can't be much longer before someone comes up with an alternative

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Because they are soaking recreational divers.

The UK LDS won’t supply spares kits so as Jonny foreigner knows this he gets to hose us on pricing.

Further this "adjustment balance" in the kits pricing is an Apeks UK "fix" so to make you go to your LDS.

And as you say its almost the same price so you automatically think the LDS is doing you a great deal.

Three times retail is a tad steep, can't be much longer before someone comes up with an alternative

There's a vintage diving site in the US that seems to have cracked it...

O-rings are easy to source, and they supply them in 'kits'
    They've had LP seats done in a big batch, and are 'compatible' with a number of brands
    HP diaphragms are similarly sourced

Whilst I say o-rings are easy to source... Does anyone have access to 1x1 viton orings?!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think the general idea is if you have a decent service centre then use it. If not then pay through the nose for DIY kits. We all understand that the regulator service "market" is a stitch up. The problem is there is too small a number of people interested in self service to create any real demand for non manufacturer kits and the components themselves are so cheap that without a decent margin it isn't worth anyone's bother to compile them from the standard parts.

I don't understand how the polar opposite views can exist with regs. One group of users throw them wet in the garage for the winter and expect them to be OK and another group fuss and faff over having them serviced every year after 6 dives.

We sell regulators for camping gas and if it were possible to make them from used bog paper they would do so. The wholesale price is about the shipping cost from China and 10p. Despite this they last for ever and the idea you might "service" one is laughable. If they leak and catch fire they will burn your tent/caravan down. In fairness they don't get covered in seawater I suppose.

Established TDF Member bubbleless's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpw View Post
    There's a vintage diving site in the US that seems to have cracked it...

O-rings are easy to source, and they supply them in 'kits'
    They've had LP seats done in a big batch, and are 'compatible' with a number of brands
    HP diaphragms are similarly sourced

Whilst I say o-rings are easy to source... Does anyone have access to 1x1 viton orings?!
    So you pay almost as much as an Italian kit, for a non-genuine service kit from the states, I saw these selling like hot cakes on e bay....

Paying a fortune for genuine parts on a knackered car, probably not worth it, we nearly all do this.... to save £100's

Seriously is you health and welfare worth so little??

If you kill yourself- you suffer for a few mins...... your family and friends...a little more... you will be missed.

What people don't consider is if you are injured, lack of o2 to the brain leads to brain damage...... even a serious event with a failing regulator where it causes no phyical damage can emotionally scar you for life, you have to live with it and you family and friends have to deal with it.

Higher levels of brain damage, lose your job , can't work?, can't look after yourself can't feed yourself...... you get the idea.

We have this "discussion" on the rebreather forums about sofnolime and cells, how much they cost and when they need replacing, Manufacturers recommend a replacement and use regime that should keep you safe. if you use something else or extend the service intervals...... the risk increases.

I can see what Iain is getting at about trade prices, but thats the same for everything we buy,RRP for a car and the trade price is at least half if not more, and as for costs of simple parts I bought an "O ring " for my citroen and it cost £5, so the cost of a car if you calculated it from the spares would be huge 10-20 x RRP

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleless View Post
    So you pay almost as much as an Italian kit, for a non-genuine service kit from the states, I saw these selling like hot cakes on e bay....

Paying a fortune for genuine parts on a knackered car, probably not worth it, we nearly all do this.... to save £100's

If you kill yourself- you suffer for a few mins...... your family and friends...a little more... you will be missed.

What people don't consider is if you are injured, lack of o2 to the brain leads to brain damage...... even a serious event with a failing regulator where it causes no phyical damage can emotionally scar you for life, you have to live with it and you family and friends have to deal with it.

Higher levels of brain damage, lose your job , can't work?, can't look after yourself can't feed yourself...... you get the idea.

We have this "discussion" on the rebreather forums about sofnolime and cells, how much they cost and when they need replacing, Manufacturers recommend a replacement and use regime that should keep you safe. if you use something else or extend the service intervals...... the risk increases.

I can see what Iain is getting at about trade prices, but thats the same for everything we buy,RRP for a car and the trade price is at least half if not more, and as for costs of simple parts I bought an "O ring " for my citroen and it cost £5, so the cost of a car if you calculated it from the spares would be huge 10-20 x RRP
    If you read my post carefully, you'll see I never said I buy from there. It was to illustrate a point that people DO find ways around component shortages, when they have to. I source my parts elsewhere.

However, there's little value in debating like this. You've obviously made up your mind. You won't change my mind by way of extreme examples either, so there's no point in discussing it further. You do your thing, I do my thing.
    Last edited by sharpw; 09-12-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    S

I just want spares kits, in the UK from any LDS that's all, Oh and at a open transparent and fair retail price, that's all

I would even go so far as to suggest they hang them up on the Slatwall even that would be great.
    I can just imagine Go Dive with a whole wall dedicated to spares kits for snorkels and clips with a couple tucked down in the corner, perfect.

There is a list somewhere of all dead divers on rebreathers but I don't think spares kits was a contributing factor.

To be honest not that bothered about the trade mark up just as long as they publish the retail price, and make them available we are being hosed here. Parts are available in Spain Germany etc ect but not yet in the UK go figure

No one stops you buying spares for a compressor, or a car, motor bike etc ect.

This needs changing its a poor show from Apeks and our collective LDS

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    While looking for something else I happened on this site (in Italy)

This is a frequent question (where can I get...) So I hope some of you find it useful

http://www.planetdivestore.com/dive/...on-kit/156/rlc
    Thanks now I can have a go at servicing my mares abyss navy. Only kidding I'd rather have chris at denney diving send it off for £100

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast