Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    100% of team spazmo captaindeco's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Palau, Komodo, Borneo all get my vote.......as does Jupiter, Florida (but Jupiter is easy peasy diving....just really nice).

As for the best ever.....I've just come back from Truk and am still blown away by the most amazing diving diving I've ever done. My video is nearly done and hopefully will do it justice. Intact engine rooms, weapons, massive ships.......everything oh wow. Normally I'd limit my films to 4/5 minutes but I don't care after Truk. It's gonna be 9.5 mins and I'll love every second!!!

Andra and Baloo were there at the same time and can surely confirm to it's awesomeness!!!
    Click THIS

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindeco View Post
    Palau, Komodo, Borneo all get my vote.......as does Jupiter, Florida (but Jupiter is easy peasy diving....just really nice).

As for the best ever.....I've just come back from Truk and am still blown away by the most amazing diving diving I've ever done. My video is nearly done and hopefully will do it justice. Intact engine rooms, weapons, massive ships.......everything oh wow. Normally I'd limit my films to 4/5 minutes but I don't care after Truk. It's gonna be 9.5 mins and I'll love every second!!!

Andra and Baloo were there at the same time and can surely confirm to it's awesomeness!!!
    Confirmed
    Shetland or the Shetland Islands, but never the Shetlands!!!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRawlingson View Post
    I'm reading this thread with interest. I've dived a lot of places, but few that would appear in anyone's top 10.

Planning trips in May and November. Unfortunately somewhat limited by having an infant in tow, budget (which is healthy, but some of these places are crazy expensive) and our geographical location.
    One fantastic place which would be reasonably family friendly is Palau. The dive sites are accessible by day boat and it is a nice place on land - unlike Truk.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks all for taking the time to pass on your tips.
    Although all places sound great I am homing in on either Palau or Socorro.
    One question about Socorro is some liveaboards are showing very heavily booked for the next couple of years and some have lots of availability. Blue o two are using Nautilus and appear to have availability for all dates, so I can't help thinking that they may not be the best, has anyone used these boats or have recommendations for other boats.

Also please keep the ideas coming it's very helpful, thanks.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not used Nautilus. We used Rocio Del Mar and were very pleased.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When boats are booked up a long time ahead, there is always the chance of a cancellation. That's how we managed to get the trip on the Valentina in February. We had to confirm and pay a deposit within 3 days of it becoming available - and then try and organise the rest of the trip around that which was pretty complicated but well worth it.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So..........
    Palau or Socorro it is, for those Lucky enough to have done both which would you go for again, and for those with in depth knowledge of both which would it be.
    I have now done a fair bit of Internet surfing on both locations so I have a better idea what both have to offer. As I love a mix of coral, big stuff and wrecks Palau is sounding favourite but only just ahead of Socorro.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They are very different dive sites. Palau is more varied, with some great coral, manta rays and sharks as well as wrecks. However, the mantas are the reef mantas - 6 feet or so across just as you get in the Maldives. Great tropical diving.

Socorro is about close encounters with the big stuff - Pacific Giant Mantas 25 feet plus as well as a huge variety of sharks. There's also a chance of seeing humpback whales although we didn't see them underwater we saw them on the surface and virtually all the dives were accompanied by their song which you could feel as well as hear.

As to which is best, its really a matter of personal preference. There are many places in the world where you can see nice coral but not many where you can get up close and personal with Giant Mantas, so close I had to duck on a few occasions to avoid being batted by a wing!

With all wildlife encounters though, nothing is guaranteed, as we found in the Maldives.

100% of team spazmo captaindeco's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rexters View Post
    So..........
    Palau or Socorro it is, for those Lucky enough to have done both which would you go for again, and for those with in depth knowledge of both which would it be.
    I have now done a fair bit of Internet surfing on both locations so I have a better idea what both have to offer. As I love a mix of coral, big stuff and wrecks Palau is sounding favourite but only just ahead of Socorro.

They say pictures speak louder than words.......and moving pictures with music speak louder still. Here's my view of Palau:

I am going to Socorro next year so you'll have to wait till late spring to see what i made of that!!!
    Last edited by captaindeco; 08-12-2015 at 12:29 AM.
    Click THIS

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    what kind of sharks do you see in Palau? Anything apart from the boring reef sharks?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast