Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu Baron015's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best dives in the world........ Ever.

Socorro does sound good.

I've dived with seven giant Mantas in Mozambique, and saw 30 whale sharks all swimming together. Some the size of a bus! Amazing. Wouldn't necessarily push Moz though since visibility is very variable and there is not much in the way of reef (although lots of Frog Fish), I've been 5 times and sometimes the vis has been terrible.

Don't forget Komodo, especially in the colder south around Rinja, that place is epic. Mantas, hundreds of sharks, shoaling tunas and barracudas so thick they block out the light, dolphins. Komodo is right up there as a kick-ass diving destination.

Surprisingly good diving in north of Bali, around Tulamben region. I was just passing some time there before going on to dive elsewhere in Indonesia, but turned out the diving was really pretty good.

Raja Ampat. I don't want to say too much about Raja Ampat as I don't want to encourage more people to go, I want to keep it all for myself. Almost completely unspoiled right now.

Aliwal Shoal - thousands of sharks. Tiger sharks. Bull sharks. Sharks swimming up and bashing into you to see what you are. Exciting boat launch through the surf. Steaks on the braii after dives. Lekker!

Lembeh. Everyone should go to Lembeh once. But be warned, for those susceptible, you will be hooked and have a need to go back year after year after year. For others it's just "meh" and got bored after a few days. But I am one of the hooked ones - that place is just mesmerising.

Ambon good but preferred Lembeh. (Although near Ambon I dived with banded sea snakes that came and wrapped themselves around your arms and neck!!)

Bunaken - I thought was massively overrated and disappointing - but I appreciate its not a zoo, you can't control nature, and for people who visit when it's 70m vis and sealife is prolific, I imagine it's a different experience.

(Much like saw someone had a disappointing experience in the Maldives - of course it completely depends on time of year, which location, ocean conditions and whether nature decides to treat you to a spectacle or not. I've had a bad trip to Maldives, but also 3-4 excellent trips, so I see how it can be variable).

Palau - one of my favourite places. Most people go for reef dives, there are very impressive reefs, lots of pretty fishes, loads of sharks (blue corner on a reef hook anyone?) although I haven't been since 2003 and I hear there has been quite a bit of bleaching and other damage. But - Palau is also amazing for wrecks, there are almost as many wrecks as in Truk, but for some reason it is not known as a big wreck destination. I'm going back early next year exclusively to dive Palau wrecks on CCR. I am sure it's going to be awesome.

Yap - meh. Worth a look for yourself.

Hermes in Sri Lanka is worth a visit, of great historic interest, and of course Sri Lanka is fascinating to visit. All the colour of India without the incredible overcrowding.

Truk - yes it is good. But it's getting thousands of divers a year now, all of them bashing their way up corridors and into engine rooms, riding the guns, picking up shell casings and other artefacts. With the negative consequences to the wrecks. At least in Bikini there is still less than 100 divers a year, sometimes a lot less. But even those wrecks are starting to break up - particularly the stern of the Saratoga was very noticeably different between 2012 and 2014. Plus one of the most reliable operators is going to cease their trips there next year. So go soon.

I'd love someone to write about the Coron wrecks.

My own next big trip will be to dive the wrecks of The Great Lakes.

Basically there are so many awesome places in the world to dive. What a fantastic pastime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Baron015; 06-12-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Memento mori.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was lucky enough to be surrounded by sharks in the Maldives at Kandu (reef hook def required!). The only whaleshark we saw was while snorkelling in a very busy area which was not so fun. The manta experiences in the day and night were amazing.

I am off to Mozambique in Jan, it's been on the list for ages and I cannot wait! If money was no object I would go to Socorro or the Galapagos as have seen photos from friends' trips and they blew my mind!!

Happy travelling
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    THe only problem might be getting a place to go out there. There's only five boats which go and they only do a 6-9 trips a year due to the short weather window. The boat we were on (MV Valentina) was already fully booked for 2016, heavily booked for 2017 and taking bookings for 2018.
    Where did you fly in/out of?
    Last edited by matt; 06-12-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Closed Account: User Requested nickb's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Harder why?
    'cos you'll need a fucking superyacht to get there.

Another 'hands down' vote for Bikini here too. Intact battleships are hard to find at recreational diving depths and ones with 16" guns are even rarer. I would go back again, just to dive the Nagato.

I'm off to Palau with the big Latvian and others in March but am seriously weighing-up a Jutland trip the following month. Not sure I'm happy to spunk 3 grand on a punt that we get good weather. If it comes-off it would be epic (centenary and all that thrown-in too).

I also had an invite to dive the Britannic next year and that's hard to decline

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew W View Post
    Yongala Wreck, Queensland, Australia.

Dive number 37, IIRC. Still the best dive I ever done over 2 thousand dives later.
    I agree, one hell of a great dive!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Komodo has lots of Manta. I dived with 3 whale sharks within 4 or 5 days diving in Tubbataha - Philippines this yr.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Where did you fly in/out of?
    Into Los Cabos at the tip of Baja California via Houston (which is an absolute dump of an airport) where an overnight stay was needed. There are probably other routes but we were on an RTW ticket with Star Alliance and most of the trip had to be on United because they are the only airline flying into Truk and on to Palau.

The boats all go from the Los Cabos area - there's three harbours over a 20 mile stretch of coast where they go from.

The Valentina isn't the most luxurious boat but it is the most stable and has a great crew. That's a key factor when you are heading 340 miles out into the Pacifiic. Roca Partida is only 100 metres long by 30 metres wide and 30 metres high at the highest point. The next bit of land is 100 miles away and that's the small San Benedicto Island.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Png

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Fiji was one of the nicest friendliest places we have been to. The Bull shark dives were amazing, the outer reefs on the North Eastern side were splendid although maybe a little samey.

Been to Raja Ampat three times, it is indeed amazing if you are into lots of fish and biodiversity. Not for shark chasers though.

Komodo on a live-a-board was the best mix of fish, sharks & mantas and critters.

Our friend who is working in Raja Ampat at the moment reckons Triton Bay is the new "place to go". Totally unspoiled, very remote.

I enjoyed the Maldives, I was pleasantly surprised at the biodiversity and colours of the corals. I didn't enjoy chasing the whalesharks. Finding a good boat with good guides makes a difference, the second time we went it was not as good as the guides were more interested in playing COD and FIFA!

We're nuts for corals and fish and are not too bothered if we don't see big stuff so our recommendations probably reflect that.

Sharon

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm reading this thread with interest. I've dived a lot of places, but few that would appear in anyone's top 10.

Planning trips in May and November. Unfortunately somewhat limited by having an infant in tow, budget (which is healthy, but some of these places are crazy expensive) and our geographical location.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast