Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best dives in the world........ Ever.

As the title says, where are the best dive sites in the world, I have an opportunity late next year /early 2017 to do a trip anywhere in the world.
    This isn't an every day occurrence more a once in a lifetime chance so if it's you where has always been the dream destination or if you have been what was your experience.
    I love wrecks and spidge so anything is an option.
    Must admit I have always had a thing about French Polynesia although I have never been, any one been, or how about Galapagos.
    What I am really after is ideas to make sure I think of all options before choosing.
    One thing I would really like to do is dive with whale sharks and Mantas so if that can be done then great.
    Thanks in advance.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Maldives is pretty special. South Ari Atoll for Mantas and whale sharks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bit of a broad question.

For wrecks I quite like Norway, or more exotic Truk Lagoon, or Coron. I've not yet been to Bikini.

For scenic I quite like Cayman. For more exotic the Seychelles are nice. I'm going to Lembeh at Christmas, and I quite fancy Wakatobi.

No idea about Whale Sharks - google suggest Holbox Mexico. And for Manta's I'd try Yap.

So with all that in mind 2 weeks in Truk and 2 weeks in Palau and Yap could work out well for you.

Matt.

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Adrenalin and sharks? Maldives channel (Kandu) diving. Reef hooks for sure.
    Pretty much guaranteed Giant Mantas? Mozambique.

Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu Baron015's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bikini. Hands down. And soon it will be harder to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memento mori.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron015 View Post
    Bikini. Hands down. And soon it will be harder to get there.
    Harder why?
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've dived in 44 different countries all around the world and this year have dived Socorro, Truk, Palau and the Maldives. The last was a big disappointment but Socorro was simply mind blowing and would have to rate as possibly the most outstanding diving I've ever done.

At San Benedicto, we had SEVEN Pacific Giant Mantas around us at one point. Even the smallest was over 20 feet across!

At Roca Partida, we saw hundreds of sharks from eight different species, including a 30foot plus Whale Sharke, all within a few feet of us. Magic!

THe only problem might be getting a place to go out there. There's only five boats which go and they only do a 6-9 trips a year due to the short weather window. The boat we were on (MV Valentina) was already fully booked for 2016, heavily booked for 2017 and taking bookings for 2018.

#VanGogh
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yongala Wreck, Queensland, Australia.

Dive number 37, IIRC. Still the best dive I ever done over 2 thousand dives later.
    "Depends if you do your ascent on the way up" GLOC 2014

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    I've dived in 44 different countries all around the world and this year have dived Socorro, Truk, Palau and the Maldives. The last was a big disappointment but Socorro was simply mind blowing and would have to rate as possibly the most outstanding diving I've ever done.

At San Benedicto, we had SEVEN Pacific Giant Mantas around us at one point. Even the smallest was over 20 feet across!

At Roca Partida, we saw hundreds of sharks from eight different species, including a 30foot plus Whale Sharke, all within a few feet of us. Magic!

THe only problem might be getting a place to go out there. There's only five boats which go and they only do a 6-9 trips a year due to the short weather window. The boat we were on (MV Valentina) was already fully booked for 2016, heavily booked for 2017 and taking bookings for 2018.
    I'm with Allan on this. I've dived Galapagos, Truk, Maldives, etc., but Socorro was just amazing. We witnessed a feeding frenzy at Roca Partida, saw mantas, dolphins, glimpsed a humpback whale underwater, and loads of sharks. http://www.chorleybsac.org.uk/forum/....php?f=4&t=893

It all depends on what you want though:
    Wrecks - Truk is hard to beat (though I've not been to Bikini). http://www.chorleybsac.org.uk/forum/....php?f=4&t=588
    Mix of amazing pelagic diving and some special wildlife ashore - Galapagos.
    Mix of big stuff and pretty reefs - Maldives. http://www.chorleybsac.org.uk/forum/....php?f=4&t=279
    Fish and unspoiled reefs - Andamans

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wow, brilliant ideas coming in that I had not even thought of, keep em coming whilst I do a little research into some of the suggestions Socoro sounds incredible.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast