Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Totty View Post
    I'd pull out of flogging dive kit and open up a sweet shop - with the new proposed sugar tax being discussed I forcast a run on sweets
    I couldn't do that, I'd eat the inventory!
    Declared interest:
    SDI/TDI Diver Training, Stingray RHIB and/or Moonshadow Hard Boat Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    You could try stocking it with kit that you have dived with and that both works and you'd be happy to use yourself. That would be a big start over most of the tat that some try to sell.
    All well and good until you discover that an awful lot of divers actually want to buy stuff that you wouldn't necessarily use yourself.

If I sell a deco stage (Almost always a Luxfer USA cylinder fitted with an MDE valve, before anyone leaps in) I include the stage rigging kit and a nitrox fill. I give people the option of a commercial stage rigging kit or a DIR-style system made from components. People who specify the commercial product usually come back later and ask me to rig them up with the DIR-style alternative even though I tell them that the latter is far superior in the first place.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Slat walls should be full of the type of thing I lose or break while on trips away and should be priced so I don't come over all unnecessary at the thought of buying...
    Last edited by BTS; 30-11-2015 at 02:52 PM.
    What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    You could start with these:
    Is that a she wee?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickdive View Post
    All well and good until you discover that an awful lot of divers actually want to buy stuff that you wouldn't necessarily use yourself.

If I sell a deco stage (Almost always a Luxfer USA cylinder fitted with an MDE valve, before anyone leaps in) I include the stage rigging kit and a nitrox fill. I give people the option of a commercial stage rigging kit or a DIR-style system made from components. People who specify the commercial product usually come back later and ask me to rig them up with the DIR-style alternative even though I tell them that the latter is far superior in the first place.
    I have a similar experience with harnesses. Someone asks me "what harness should I get" and I generally reply "a simple one, just webbing with maybe a break in the left armpit if you want". Then they potter off and spend a huge wodge of cash on a "comfort" harness where all the D rings are in the wrong place, the webbing is sewn into the comfort pad, the thing is covered in clips that leave dangles and the bolts aren't long enough on the twinset to fit it. "But it was expensive it must be good" comes the cry.

*sigh*
    Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I dive with most of my regulars, some see what I have and emulate. Or see someone else who has emulated me, then ask for the same setup.

Happy with Luxfer cylinders, I don't honestly think there is anything between a new MDE valve and an SOS one now though, in fact I think I prefer the SOS, give me an old MDE valve any day.
    Declared interest:
    SDI/TDI Diver Training, Stingray RHIB and/or Moonshadow Hard Boat Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All well and good until you discover that an awful lot of divers actually want to buy stuff that you wouldn't necessarily use yourself.....
    Yup.

As a shop you want to stock high volume products that have a good margin. If that is cheap Chinese shit so be it. If people are dumb enough to buy it - tough. The job of a shop is to make money, not give free advice to punters. The most successful scuba retail I know couldn't give a fuck what you buy as long as you buy. If you want to give good advise about kit and saving money, buying stuff that lasts (so no replacement sales) join a dive club and sell the shop before you go bust.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Advice is always free however the vast majority of divers either don't ask or ask but then don't listen to the answer.

Purine hurts my feet Major Clanger's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Slatwall Full of Chinese Exports

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Yup.

As a shop you want to stock high volume products that have a good margin. If that is cheap Chinese shit so be it. If people are dumb enough to buy it - tough. The job of a shop is to make money, not give free advice to punters. The most successful scuba retail I know couldn't give a fuck what you buy as long as you buy. If you want to give good advise about kit and saving money, buying stuff that lasts (so no replacement sales) join a dive club and sell the shop before you go bust.
    Staying in Business lesson 101 and cocked up by many retailers. Pile high and sell cheap or go niche and hope for the best. Many shops go niche with their prices and then wonder why customers would prefer to buy their bog standard items online.

Sent from my ivory tower using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Major Clanger; 01-12-2015 at 04:22 AM.
    GaryL

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Go into Underwater Explorers, take a photo, then stock what they stock but 50% cheaper so I don't have to pull my eyebrows out of my hairline every time I go in.
    They do have the best customer service in the UK.

I had some fraying on my Halcyon twinset wing. 7-8 years old. 100's of dives, mostly cave. Replaced, no questions asked.

The price is 'fixed' by Halcyon across UK dealers. If you want to buy it cheap, fly to Florida. (400quid return with virgin in the winter). If you're buying a big light or a couple of wings it works out cheaper

Steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast