Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Go Pro?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which Go Pro?

This is probably on here somewhere. So apologies.
    I'm very much a casual underwater photographer, but it is nice to share a few pictures with my non diving wife.
    For our upcoming holiday I thought about a Go Pro.
    All things being equal what would be a good Go Pro model to get, and what ideal or essential add on's/accessories.
    Do Go Pro's take stills also or is this done via the software?
    Thanks
    A warm water dive then a cold beer. Makes sense to me!

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea Cake View Post
    This is probably on here somewhere. So apologies.
    I'm very much a casual underwater photographer, but it is nice to share a few pictures with my non diving wife.
    For our upcoming holiday I thought about a Go Pro.
    All things being equal what would be a good Go Pro model to get, and what ideal or essential add on's/accessories.
    Do Go Pro's take stills also or is this done via the software?
    Thanks
    The 4 Silver is pretty good - the Black is overkill plus the silver gets you an integrated LCD screen but they all suffer from limited battery life. The GoPro does take stills if you want and you can screen grab from video via the software. The standard case is good for 40m but the catch needs watching - for the 3+ and 4 they made it easier to open but als easier to open accidentally underwater

You can get a slightly more robust "Dive Housing" which is good to 60m and I know can go beyond that which is a 30 quid add-on and has the more robust (and fiddly) catch

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The Hero4 Silver would suit most divers as it has a built in LCD. GoPros do take stills as a separate function from video - screen grabs from video are very low quality. You will not get on the front page of National Geographic with them, but they will be good enough to catch memories if you have enough natural (or artificial) light.

Having said that, if stills rather than video are your goal, many will say a dedicated stills camera would be a better option. I'm inclined to agree, but to get wide angle shots there will be a significant cost implication.

These are all GoPro stills. I don't like them very much, but they might be good enough for what you want.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRawlingson View Post
    The Hero4 Silver would suit most divers as it has a built in LCD. GoPros do take stills as a separate function from video - screen grabs from video are very low quality. You will not get on the front page of National Geographic with them, but they will be good enough to catch memories if you have enough natural (or artificial) light.

Having said that, if stills rather than video are your goal, many will say a dedicated stills camera would be a better option. I'm inclined to agree, but to get wide angle shots there will be a significant cost implication.

These are all GoPro stills. I don't like them very much, but they might be good enough for what you want.

COmpletely agree - GoPros are for taking GoPro footage and are cheap for what you actually get in that role - if you want a stills camera then buy a dedicated stills camera.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    GoPros have a mode where they take a still every 5 seconds while taking video. I use that and now and again the camera catches something worth keeping.

It is not in the same league at a proper camera but suits me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    GoPros have a mode where they take a still every 5 seconds while taking video. I use that and now and again the camera catches something worth keeping.

It is not in the same league at a proper camera but suits me.
    Depends which model of GoPro.

For what a GP costs, you can get one of the new waterproof cameras, Nikon AW130 for example (220). 30m rating without a housing.

Better for photos, although harder to add accessory lenses and the like.
    Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Lidl have one on offer, with housing, 50....
    What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just bought a hero 3+ black they are selling refurbished by GoPro at 170 quid at the mo, the 100 quid saving over a 4 is a couple of spare battery's and bits and bobs, 4K video play back if more than most people can view so more than adequate for me and 12mp stills are fine.The instruction book for mine says I can take a still at any time while recording video just by pressing the front button. The case lock does look a little flimsy, but I not read during my research of any coming open. However a GoPro 3 housing fits the 3+ and is rated 60m and its fitted with a double catch , so considering one myself About 35 pounds.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Lidl have one on offer, with housing, 50....
    I got one of them. Doesn't work underwater. Took it back. The port on the front is domed so everything goes out of focus. Don't know if this one is the same but make sure you check it out first.

I have a GoPro 3+ black. It's pretty good if you can be arsed editing all the video. The stills off it are not bad- the headline photo on the BSAC FB page and the main shot for the This Girl Can campaign are mine and shot with a GoPro. Say hello to the Missus:

That was shot with a magenta filter in the shallows in Capernwray. For deeper UK stuff in our lovely green water, a purple filter works better.

Last edited by Woz; 12-11-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRawlingson View Post

Thank you......if I could take pictures half as good as these I would be well chuffed!
    A warm water dive then a cold beer. Makes sense to me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast