Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    http://www.buyabattery.co.uk/recharg...pack-of-4.html

and a photocam 3 charger. you can work out the approx run time if you have the spec for the torch.

“Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    I'm confused, when I look online it seems Ultra are non-rechargeable. There's just a choice between 750mAh or 800mAh for rechargeables.

I've got some (alleged) 1000mAh 7-DayShop AAA's which seem OK but I've not tried them in a torch yet. The 7-DayShop charger works OK with these but refuses to charge some cheap unbranded ones or some of my older AA's.
    Stig the ones I ordered do say - Duracell recharge ultra on the packet - http://www.buyabattery.co.uk/brands/...00-4-pack.html

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There's no doubt about it: NiMH rechargeables do run flat quicker than normal alkalines, and they discharge themselves when left unused for a few months. However, for my type of diving this makes them the right tool for the job. My dives are never more than 90 minutes, and sometimes I only use the torch for a minute or two. If I had a mega-duration non-rechargeable torch, then after a few dives I'd have no idea how much charge was left, and either (a) my paranoia would force me to replace them way too early or (b) they'd run out just after I'd got my foot stuck in a Giant Clam. It's straightforward with rechargeables - just charge them before every dive. I use 18650 Li-Ions in my dive torch, but I've got a couple of cree bike lights which use 3 rechargeable AAAs and they seem good for at least an hour. Re the OP's original question: I've used both Lidl own-brand and Energizer rechargeables in my bike lights - these seem to last about the same and are fine for my needs.

(Alkalines are advisable in your back-up lights though as these tend to sit unloved in your pocket for many months or years.)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    My tuppence. Re-chargeable seem more sensitive to cold water and die quicker when it gets chilly.
    This is a problem ...not so much I find with lion

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Look on Amazon for eneloop batteries.

They're brilliant - last for ages, and will sit for up to 5 years and only lose 30% of their initial charge.

http://main.panasonic-eneloop.eu/en/faq

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    One AAA rechargeable provides 1.2v and circa 0.75 Ah. That's 0.9Wh each, or 2.7Wh for three

The Seac R1 runs a 3W LED. It will have a 1 hour run time at full power at 150Lm.

A "proper" dive torch will kick out circa 1500Lm, for either 21W of current as a HID or around 24w as an LED. Typical Li-Ion battery packs for these are around 10.4Ah at 12v, or 125Wh, giving somewhere in the region of 6 hrs run time (HID) or 5 hrs (LED).

A typical "backup" torch runs at 500Lm using a larger version of the Cree LED, consuming 1.5A at 3.1V or around 4.65W. These lights usually use 3x alkaline C cells, each giving 1.5V and between 5000 and 8000mAh capacity, depending on the rate of discharge. That's 12wh each, or 36 total, giving a run time of 7.75 hrs.

I guess the moral of the story here is that as a backup, alkalines are preferable due to better shelf life (10 yrs vs 3 months). Cs are a MUCH better option than AAAs in terms of capacity and not that much bigger. A 150lm torch is probably OK for lighting the way in gin clear water at night, but not for daytime use (signalling etc). A 500Lm torch is more realistic for UK waters, 1500 better...

Incidentally, Energiser's AAA alkaline batteries do nearly 1200mAh at 1.5v, or 1.8Wh each, which is TWICE the rechargeable equivalent.

For decent comparison data on battery tyes and sizes, check out the Energiser website: http://data.energizer.com/Static.aspx?Name=GeneralInfo

AAA rechargeables are shite. Don't bother.
    DISCLAIMER: If you don't understand this shit, ask a grown up, preferably someone with deep pockets, who your widow/kids can sue. Don't trust people on the internet with your life, your credit card details or your naked selfies! This advice may contain, or indeed be written by someone who is (clinically), nuts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    This.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    One AAA rechargeable provides 1.2v and circa 0.75 Ah. That's 0.9Wh each, or 2.7Wh for three

The Seac R1 runs a 3W LED. It will have a 1 hour run time at full power at 150Lm.

A "proper" dive torch will kick out circa 1500Lm, for either 21W of current as a HID or around 24w as an LED. Typical Li-Ion battery packs for these are around 10.4Ah at 12v, or 125Wh, giving somewhere in the region of 6 hrs run time (HID) or 5 hrs (LED).

A typical "backup" torch runs at 500Lm using a larger version of the Cree LED, consuming 1.5A at 3.1V or around 4.65W. These lights usually use 3x alkaline C cells, each giving 1.5V and between 5000 and 8000mAh capacity, depending on the rate of discharge. That's 12wh each, or 36 total, giving a run time of 7.75 hrs.

I guess the moral of the story here is that as a backup, alkalines are preferable due to better shelf life (10 yrs vs 3 months). Cs are a MUCH better option than AAAs in terms of capacity and not that much bigger. A 150lm torch is probably OK for lighting the way in gin clear water at night, but not for daytime use (signalling etc). A 500Lm torch is more realistic for UK waters, 1500 better...

Incidentally, Energiser's AAA alkaline batteries do nearly 1200mAh at 1.5v, or 1.8Wh each, which is TWICE the rechargeable equivalent.

For decent comparison data on battery tyes and sizes, check out the Energiser website: http://data.energizer.com/Static.aspx?Name=GeneralInfo

Cheers for the positive talk Ian, I have 2 x seac r1's haha. I only use them when diving abroad in warm waters like the philippines, so I think fully charged they should do the job for my needs!

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    On the charger - it's worth getting a decent one that charges each cell individually, that check for bad cells, and that stops when charged. I've revived many dead rechargeables with mine.
    failing that keep batteries in pairs/ quads. Charge together, use together, don't mix and chuck when they don't hold charge.
    i use 7day ones when I can charge and use, and the fancy ones that hold charge for things like mouse, keyboard, remotes, etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Try Strikealite : http://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat_...ery_packs.html

They are brilliant & will happily give you advice & the benefit of their knowledge over the phone, even if it results in you not purchasing from them !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast