Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Wtb: Dpv

Established TDF Member OutOfTest's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Any links to this Tahoe thing for the uninformed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closed Account: User Requested nickb's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cheers mate. Much appreciated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hmm...interesting. Apart from shipping costs I fail to see why any manufacturer wouldn't send a scooter to that!

A bench mark is a bench mark whether you agree with the rest procedures or not.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    you can only wonder why they don't send units.
    it just leads to speculation about the manufacturer's claims.
    a real foot and gun clash

regards, Charlie

charliesez http://tinyurl.com/bjjus8g

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Manufacturers claims for range and speed will always be just that, difference in how divers are loaded etc.

That's why a bench mark is so useful.

GUE Tech and Cave Instructor johnkendall's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTest View Post
    Hmm...interesting. Apart from shipping costs I fail to see why any manufacturer wouldn't send a scooter to that!

A bench mark is a bench mark whether you agree with the rest procedures or not.

When the "benchmark" is well supported by one or two manufacturers who happen to be based very near the test area, and when most of the "test divers" own and use DPVs from those manufacturers it isn't a particularly unbiased test. Why would a European manufacturer spend a lot of money sending units over there?
    Suex do in house testing of their own and other units. The results of the tests of their equipment are available.

Interestingly someone who was involved in the testing recently posted on "The Deco Stop" forum and said that they've found that the data loggers that were used aren't even internally consistant, and have a 5-10% error in the internal timing.
    A proper unbiased and technical benchmark would be awesome, but it's almost impossible to do manned testing without bias.
    John Kendall
    GUE Instructor Trainer, Tech and Cave Instructor www.johnkendall.com
    www.divinganalysers.com - Nitrox, Trimix and Single Gas Analysers
    www.santi-store.co.uk - Santi Drysuits, Undersuits and Accessories

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkendall View Post
    When the "benchmark" is well supported by one or two manufacturers who happen to be based very near the test area, and when most of the "test divers" own and use DPVs from those manufacturers it isn't a particularly unbiased test. Why would a European manufacturer spend a lot of money sending units over there?
    Suex do in house testing of their own and other units. The results of the tests of their equipment are available.

Interestingly someone who was involved in the testing recently posted on "The Deco Stop" forum and said that they've found that the data loggers that were used aren't even internally consistant, and have a 5-10% error in the internal timing.
    A proper unbiased and technical benchmark would be awesome, but it's almost impossible to do manned testing without bias.
    Cheers John. That makes things a little clearer.

Established TDF Member Rob Dobson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkendall View Post

I was unaware of any suspected inaccuracies, but even assuming that this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), the fact that the figures are based upon multiple runs by multiple divers, who use all the scooters and then averaged out makes this about as fair and as accurate as possible. Any inaccuracies in the kit are completely unintentional and would effect everyone equally - the raw test data is given to all participants so any such errors can be spotted and challenged.

I don't know which manufacturers are near Tahoe. I suspect none of them, but I know that DX are based in Washington and I think that SS are based in Florida. DSS are in California from I remember. None of that lot are local to lake Tahoe if my geography serves me right.

The last Tahoe benchmark was actually pretty disastrous for DX who had just spent big $$$$ in developing their new shroud and propellor by engaging with MIT and Yale and doing loads of high end computer modelling. The new propellor system made the scooters worse in testing because they'd failed to take account of the stresses placed on the prop surface area under load. The performances sucked and yet the figures were left to stand as DX have a philosophy of 'let the cards fall were they may'. It would have been better for them not to participate, but by getting the test data they were able to correctly identify and fix the issues. Don't 'fix' the data, fix the problem. Let's make stuff better.

As for the cost of shipping stuff over there I can remember there being an offer made for the test committee to fund bringing the Suex over for the testing and then returning it, but there was no interest. Maybe now that there is a US office it'll be embraced next time. Let's hope so (if there ever is another one).
    Last edited by Rob Dobson; 15-02-2016 at 03:24 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would ask Rob Dobson to make me An offer
    Bought my sierra from him, great service, still running flawless

That's the plan but he needs to find something suitable for me first!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast