Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wtb: Dpv

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ah - just spotted the 100m requirement. Apologies -certainly not what you're looking for then!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If your budget is limited then I'd look for a second hand X-Scooter Sierra. A bit long in the tooth these days but will still more than do the job. I used to own one myself and I still rate them. Since then, though, I'd upgraded to a Suex/Halcyon which is the dog's danglies!
    Follow my work on Facebook... www.bardocreative.co.uk
    View my online photo library... www.bardophotographic.com
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free" - JW Goethe

Established TDF Member Rob Dobson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARDO View Post
    Since then, though, I'd upgraded to a Suex/Halcyon which is the dog's danglies!
    Upgraded? Er, the larger of the two (R16 from memory?) performed similar to the Sierra at Tahoe. The smaller of the two (R14?), performed worse.

The test data should still be available if you want to read it. Upgrade? Nah, the data doesn't support that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For clarity, there are a few suex models, some of which are modified and branded as halcyon :

X joy 2 - entry level, but useful and good value.
    X joy 7 - a lead acid recreational scooter, with a bit more burn time.
    Halcyon r14 - a Nimh version of the X joy 7. (Personally, I think this is overpriced and has no real niche)
    X joy 14 - a one hour+ burn time, Nimh, solid general purpose scooter. Minimum suitable for cave.
    Halcyon t16. - A slightly longer version of the X joy 14 but with aluminium body. Nimh. Some cave features as standard (nice handle and bypass switch).
    X joy 37 - this is a 14 with a massive lithium battery. Can drive a 4 prop easily, is faster and longer burn time. You can buy the pack by itself to upgrade your X joy 14.
    Xk1 - serious cave scooter. 5h burn time. Very fast and robust.
    Halcyon exp - an xk1 with some factory mods for cave. Bypass switch and visual battery indicator. These can be specified on an xk1 anyway. It's also black
    Xk2 - a long version of the xk1 with two batteries. Suitable for long, big cave in a straight line. 10hours at cruise speed. If you were slick, you could cross the channel with it.

I'm not sure how these compare to the other brands, but it's important to understand the various types around the 14. They aren't all the same and cost isn't a good indicator of performance.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Clark; 01-10-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Closed Account: User Requested nickb's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dobson View Post
    Upgraded? Er, the larger of the two (R16 from memory?) performed similar to the Sierra at Tahoe. The smaller of the two (R14?), performed worse.

The test data should still be available if you want to read it. Upgrade? Nah, the data doesn't support that.
    I'm just reaching the end of a two-week trip to Scapa and have used my very old and beaten-up Sierra on every dive. Multiple journeys to both ends of all the battleships and back again without breaking sweat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've read the data already Rob and frankly it didn't figure in my buying decision. In my opinion, there are far more factors to consider when buying a scooter than data derived from a series of controlled tests (many of them being purely subjective, I might add). For me, the Suex scooters I've used are far more ergonomic and a lot more comfortable on long cave dives where the stability and track of the scooter is more important than its ability to pull a fancy 'loop da loop' in a quarry! So yes - for me it was definitely an upgrade and that opinion is from someone who has owned and used both - not someone like yourself with a vested commercial interest in selling DiveXtras kit.
    Last edited by BARDO; 01-10-2015 at 10:57 PM.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free" - JW Goethe

Established TDF Member Rob Dobson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Please explain your use of the word 'subjective' in the context of the Tahoe testing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Please explain your use of the word 'subjective' in the context of the Tahoe testing.
    Read my post again, Rob - you've misinterpreted what I said. When I said 'many of them being purely subjective', I was referring to the 'other factors' - not the Tahoe tests.
    Last edited by BARDO; 02-10-2015 at 10:38 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post

Let me know if your interested?

Cheers
    Interested, you have mail

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Yen View Post
    I'm sure he wouldn't turn down a half reasonable offer for his Sierra and I guess if anyone wants one I could take it back next time I visit which should be soon

Yen
    Interested, you have mail

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast