Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sorb container

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Isn't it? I guessed it probably was... High school chemistry again....

Also IIRC Lithium hydroxide is proper caustic soda, the stuff we use is a weaker cousin. ..

Maybe a chemist geek can advise..
    Would be interested in a proper chemist view, for sure.

Perhaps lithium hydroxide (LiOH) is a source of confusion because that is hygroscopic, whereas from what I see sodium hydroxide is a "saturated solution". I'm way beyond understanding the intricate differences in the chemicals I'm afraid...

Perhaps it does absorb water but I had understood it didn't contribute to the reaction. Interesting discussion! Makes a change from dishwashers and cars ;-)

Cheers
    Matt.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is a big difference between slime and proper sodium hydroxide (lye as the Yanks call it) so I think there may be something to Matt's encapsulation theory. If you get slime and water on your skin nothing happens, get sodium hydroxide and water on your skin and you know about it. I'm not a chemist but whenever I've handled real sodium hydroxide the advice has always been adding lime to water is safe, adding water to lime is unsafe as it gets very hot and very fizzy very quick. I've never tried finding out. With sofnalime, you can do what you like with it, it makes your skin go weird (I believe it turns the fat to soap) but I've ended up covered in the stuff by accident and the worst that happened was the skin on the soles of my feet stuck to the shower tray.

You could do this with sofnolime and not even notice. I don't know if it is just because it is so densely packed but there is some treatment to it that makes it a hell of a lot more stable than sodium hydroxide as a powder

Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    There is a big difference between slime and proper sodium hydroxide (lye as the Yanks call it) so I think there may be something to Matt's encapsulation theory.
    The amount of water is carefully controlled, so it would not make sense to leave to chance the water for the reaction coming from an external source.

An easy test would be to pass dry gas i.e. 96% O2 and 4% CO2 through a scrubber and check the output - I would guess it will be 100% O2 and 0% CO2.

I've seen people eat Sofnolime to prove to airport staff it is safe - wouldn't do it myself but they did not inwardly combust!

Cheers
    Matt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfone View Post
    Buy my lovely waterproof tubs on ebay

They're great for taking stuff on boats too.

Sharon
    These look spot on!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by damianb View Post
    These look spot on!
    Indeed! Just placed an order.

Janos
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
    Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
    My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use 6 pint milk cartons. They exactly hold a full inspiration fill, so if you're going on a weekend trip just decant into one and you're sorted.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Indeed! Just placed an order.

Janos
    Dito
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Also IIRC Lithium hydroxide is proper caustic soda, the stuff we use is a weaker cousin. ..

Maybe a chemist geek can advise..
    No, caustic soda is sodium hydroxide. No geekery required, just many many hours making solutions of it on a large scale! As far as bases go, it's a pretty good workhorse and strong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Perhaps lithium hydroxide (LiOH) is a source of confusion because that is hygroscopic, whereas from what I see sodium hydroxide is a "saturated solution". I'm way beyond understanding the intricate differences in the chemicals I'm afraid...
    Sodium hydroxide can come in many forms of course. Schools and the like usually use a fairly dilute aqueous solution as a strong base. In my old job, we used the same or more concentrated solutions, which were getting pretty viscous and burned you very easily. It was made from solid pellets of anhydrous sodium hydroxide, which looked somewhat like ice pellets but were impressively hygroscopic, partially dissolving and sticking themselves into a disgusting, corrosive mass like a post-slobbber-part-dried bag of boiled sweets when exposed to the air for too long (think minutes rather than hours). The pellets also were fond of sticking to exposed skin if given the chance, giving you nasty chemical burns.
    Last edited by jturner; 21-09-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: speeling

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by damianb View Post
    I'm ordering a 20KG tub of Sofnolime but will probably have to keep it in the loft.
    Why keep it in the loft? It may get a bit cold up there, I'd keep it inside the house (e.g. under the stairs), been cold can effect it. If you do, best to let it warm up to room tempurature before using.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPTaylor View Post
    Why keep it in the loft? It may get a bit cold up there, I'd keep it inside the house (e.g. under the stairs), been cold can effect it. If you do, best to let it warm up to room tempurature before using.....
    Being cold is not an issue but if it gets below freezing it is an issue, the sorb will be fucked if it freezes...
    What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast