Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diving with Narcolepsy

Ladies and Gents,

Wondering if you can help, my partner has been diagnosed with Narcolepsy with Catalepsy symptoms. For those who don't know Narcolepsy is, in a nut shell, when someone just is always tired and falls asleep (there is a lot more too it but in a nutshell that's the laymans explanation) Cataplepsy is a loss of muscle strength brought on by different things depending on the person. In relation to my better half her cataplepsy is brought on by laughter. For example, if she is standing and you make her laugh too much, there is a risk she'll drop to the floor. Having said that it's only when you make her laugh a lot.

Both of these are medicated using stimulants that are similar to those used in children with ADHD or ADD. These medications make her stay awake and she always knows when she is going to fall asleep and doesn't 'just nod off' she normally knows when she is going to require a nap etc. These medicines do not assist the catalepsy however, I do not feel that this should be an issue unless the marine life are going to start telling knock knock jokes!

My question would be in relation to her narcolepsy, will she be allowed to dive if she times it correctly and has had her medication and if she limits her depth? Or if she wears a full face mask?

Regards,
    Sam

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The one and only stock awnser possible is to seek an authorative decision from a diving
    doctor as she will definatley need a diving medical anyway.

Usually that's a medical referee, but might be worth looking around for a medical
    referee that might have more knowledge of the condition.

From a layman's POV pressure/increase of Nitrogen and the way that diving tends
    to affect the senses, may mean that the warning she gets now, might not happen
    or happen too late, so this would be of extreme concern.

It might be that you can get away with benign dives at very shallow depth in
    warm-clear waters, but before any of that will need to seek actual medical advice.

http://cpanet.co.uk/downloads/medical-referees-uk.pdf

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post

It might be that you can get away with benign dives at very shallow depth in
    warm-clear waters, but before any of that will need to seek actual medical advice.

I can't find it now, but I'm sure that I remember that if a Doc puts a depth limit on a medical (PADI at least), that it's as good as a "No" for training. Still looking for it though.
    'I saw some purple slug things on the Scylla, so I squished them' - #MiniBodger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Regardless of whether medically she can dive or not why risk it FFM or not?... Seems a crazy thought IMO....
    What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Regardless of whether medically she can dive or not why risk it FFM or not?... Seems a crazy thought IMO....

Had a similar one a few years ago when someone who wanted to learn asked about
    severe migraine. When asked how severe, the reply was, "well I pass out sometimes".

Asking if he got any warning, the awnser was yes "about 30mins before".

Seemed pretty unconcerned when explained this woud be just about when he would be
    at the worse part of a dive and as unconcerned when told migraine might indicate a PFO.

He walked out in a huff when the fee for a medical refferee was mentioned.
    Last edited by Tel; 07-09-2015 at 05:44 PM.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Guys,

I appreciate your feedback - just for clarification when I say she falls asleep its not the case of she just goes, its a gradual thing like when any one gets tired. Just the difference is it's quicker for her to become tired then anyone else.

The reason I'm asking is that she wants to live as normal as a life as she can and she would like to try Scuba - not suggesting for a second going to 30m etc just a nice shallow try dive sort of thing.

Thanks for all your help.
    Sam

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Scuba isn't part of a normal life 😆

I appreciate people.dont want to feel something is holding them back but I'm confident narcolepsy and diving are not suitable bed fellows. We all live within our limitations regardless of if they have labels or not.

The only way forward is to get a diving medical referee to speak with her. Try a call to the DDRC....
    Last edited by BTS; 07-09-2015 at 06:25 PM.
    What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    FFM and stick a mattress on her back she will be fine,

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    So this person falls asleep quickly and uncontrollably, and may experience hallucinations?

Diving doesn't seem dangerous enough, have they thought about Russian Roulette?

There is no way in hell I would accept them on a class, medical clearance or not.

G
    Gareth Burrows
    Having a break from teaching divers.
    www.divedir.com

Closed Account.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a video somewhere of my wife laughing through her regs at a scallop swimming away from her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast