Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Egypt liveaboards vs land-based

Hi all,
    I visited Sharm in July and am now heading back in October. I haven't got anything booked further than Cairo yet so I am considering a liveaboard out of Hurghada versus land based again from Sharm.

To fit my dates the only company that suits is Blue o two with either the North and Brothers or Simply the Best itineraries. I am however only OW certified and some dive operations actually suggest I won't be insured properly for this liveaboard trip. Is this the case? Does anyone have any opinions on this?

The cost for the liveaboard is quite expensive compared to land-based so I haven't quite made a decision yet...

Am also considering Oonas, or Elite in Sharm. I am travelling alone so would like the option of it being social too.

Any advice would be much appreciated as its only 5 weeks away!!

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anna

With regard to costs, remember that a live aboard is all inclusive (with the exception of tips, marine reserve fees and additional courses).
    You will also have the opportunity to do four or five dives a day.
    Generally the cost difference is neglible when you take this into account.

The qualification/insurance issue. It is possible to do your AOW course during the live aboard trip. So this MAY resolve the issue with regards to the insurance..

Gareth

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Some Liveaboard options state a prerequisite of e.g. 50 dives and AOW qualification or above due to the nature of diving, for e.g. strong currents and because of the depths, i.e. dive sites are deeper than 18m. Sometimes they can offer a private guide to go with you and keep to your qualified depths but this often attracts extra expense. If going to Sharm both Oonas and Camel Dive Club are great for travelling alone as very social. You may also like to consider the Red Sea Diving Safari villages like Marsa Shagra, just south of Marsa Alam
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Liveaboards also leave from Sharm but your OW qualification will likely be a fairly limiting factor as lots of the sites are deeper than 18m

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You really need your advanced to get the benefit of doing a liveaboard I think so you should probably see if that will be possible on the boat, otherwise go shore based again and get the training and some more dives under your belt. I'm planning on going to Sharm in October for some shore based diving myself.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another vote for staying shore based. Use the trip to gain experience and maybe do the AOW as well. Marsa Shagra has a lovely house reef and they also go to other dive sites.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    Another vote for staying shore based. Use the trip to gain experience and maybe do the AOW as well. Marsa Shagra has a lovely house reef and they also go to other dive sites.
    I went to Marsa Shagra a few years back and really enjoyed the diving there. There were only three of us and the dive guide for most of the week!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have you considered El Gouna? There are day boats leaving everyday to the famous dive sites, and the place itself is really clean, safe and friendly. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    At OW I would go land based and enjoy the diving. I've only been to Sharm and preferred the land based to the liveaboard.

Alternative for me would be to get your AOW out of the way instead. Maybe as suggested you can combine the two options which would probably be more cost affective overall.

Matt.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was in marsa shagra earlier this year. It was a nice and relaxed place with the house reef available for training dives. The food was good. It was well organised and easy. I was doing mod1 so they were not providing the training but they people seemed switched on. There is a chamber across the road too

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast