• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bazmattaz
    New TDF Member
    • Jul 2015

Traveling fins and torch - another newbie

Hi,

I'm a holiday diver. If the water drops below 21 degrees and I have to wear rubber to dive then TBH, I'd rather sit in the bar :-) I have an AOW and about 25 dives in my log. Rather than trust the rental kit in Egypt etc I have put together my own traveling set:
    Aqualung Core Supreme regs
    Cressi Travelight BCD
    Scuba pro Spectra mask and snorkel
    Cressi Frog Plus fins
    I don't wear a suit

That lot comes to about 8kg, but of that the fins alone are about 2.5kg.

Can anyone give advice about a decent set of not too over priced fins that are lightweight? I would like open heel as I like to put them on easily in the water and wear neoprene shoes with them.

Also, I think I should get myself a torch - for finding those critters under rocks etc. As I will only use the thing a maximum of about ten days a year it is hard to justify the cost of even a mid range unit. Any thoughts on a good buy?

Thanks for any input you cam give me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Find me on Twitter if you like @BazMattaz
  • Paul Evans
    Cheeky Monkey...
    • Dec 2012

Mares WAVE fins come in about 1.6KG and you can get them cheap.

How much do you want to spend on a torch? You get what you pay for at the end of the day...........

If you can go to £128 or even better £160 for the Li Ion then a Diamond from green force is excellent for blue water diving, I fact I was staggered in daylight let alone at night.
    If you cant then at the other end of the spectrum you can get a frogman Lenser for about 35 sobs.......

What gauge have you got on your reg's? Triple consul? double? change it for a simple pressure gauge... I assume you have a computer though.

HTH's
    “Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.” — Mark Twain

Comment

• bazmattaz
      New TDF Member
      • Jul 2015

Thanks Paul. Good advice on the fins I will look into those.

Regarding the torch I should have mentioned that I use a GoPro so something with a very wide or adjustable beam would be ideal. I take your point about you get what you pay for (though high price does not always mean high quality). I bought a couple of cheapo "dive" torches on FleaBay. One flooded on the first dive at 25m (got my money back from PayPal) and the other one turns its self on at depth or leaks if you back the screw cap off enough so it turns off.

Comment

• bazmattaz
        New TDF Member
        • Jul 2015

PS - I have a fairly light/small double gauge. I'm not too worried about the weight of that.

Comment

• Paul Evans
          Cheeky Monkey...
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by bazmattaz
          Thanks Paul. Good advice on the fins I will look into those.

Regarding the torch I should have mentioned that I use a GoPro so something with a very wide or adjustable beam would be ideal. I take your point about you get what you pay for (though high price does not always mean high quality). I bought a couple of cheapo "dive" torches on FleaBay. One flooded on the first dive at 25m (got my money back from PayPal) and the other one turns its self on at depth or leaks if you back the screw cap off enough so it turns off.

This will help. but don't expect miracles, especially blue water diving.

Makes a reasonable night dive light as well

You'd be better of with a red filter for the Go Pro in the day time unless you spend silly money.
          “Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.” — Mark Twain

Comment

• ziggi
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

hat about this for a cheapish but known quality blue water torch:

Select from a range of high-quality backup lights for diving in any environment for fast and secure worldwide delivery.

Comment

• londonsean69
              Bacon fiend
              • Dec 2012

I have been more than happy with the Seac Sub propulsion fins I bought . They are open heel (so use with boots) and weigh around 1kg, yet propel my not inconsiderable bulk through the water well. SWMBO has some as well.
              Rather than spring straps, I just use a bit of bungee, much lighter.
              They were only £50 or so
              I found them fine in Egypt, even in big currents.

Old Boy Bantin seemed to think that Seac had paid enough advertising to give them the thumbs up - http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/...ropulsion.html

For when the weight limits are REALLY tight, I have some Mares full foot. No boot = less weight, but you need to be sure you are not going in over rocks as I was

I got down to 7kg with the following;
              3mm full suit
              Apeks regs (not even the flights, just my trusty old DS4/ATX40 combo)
              Cressi flex BCD
              Empty weight belt
              Seac fins
              Boots
              SMB and Spool
              100 litre dry bag to store it all.

Can't help on the torch, but if it is for looking under rocks for critters, then anything small and bright will do - if it's too bright, they have a habit of retreating.
              Last edited by londonsean69; 25-07-2015, 05:15 PM.
              Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Comment

• matt
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Fins, 1.97kg: http://www.mad-divers.co.uk/typhoon-...ne-strap-fins/

I have the MB-SUB for my travel light, takes normal batteries. N@90 sell them. No idea on weight. I have the 3C but there is a smaller 3AA version too: http://www.narkedat90.com/MB_SUB_LED...mbledx13aa.htm

Matt.

Comment

• greatwhite
                  Established TDF Member
                  • May 2013

Light foot fins are fine in the right conditions, but when I went to Thailand they were pretty uselss!!! Since, then I have always travelled with my boot fins to make life a lot easier when fighting currents!

Comment

• jturner
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Jan 2013

Tusa Imprex Tri-ex or Oceanic Vipers are nice light fins and for reasonable money. If you fancy splashing out, Mares Volo Power fins are very light too but disgracefully expensive IMHO - don't get them confused with their much cheaper FF versions though.
                    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• smileydiver
                      Not short, just concentrated awesome ;)
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jturner
                      Tusa Imprex Tri-ex or Oceanic Vipers are nice light fins and for reasonable money. If you fancy splashing out, Mares Volo Power fins are very light too but disgracefully expensive IMHO - don't get them confused with their much cheaper FF versions though.
                      The tri-ex model is being 'retired' the new version is the Solla which is a tiny bit heavier. I have bought the sollas but haven't had a chance to try them out yet! I am hoping they are as good as my old tri-ex fins
                      The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Working...