X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark weaver
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by danpayneuk
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations either on this post or as pm's.

Very helpful. Now just need to look at them all.

Mark Powell seems to get a fair few recommendations though, so that's always a good place to look :-)
    If you need it

UK technical diver training, TDI training for Nitrox, Trimix, Rebreathers, Decompression, Adventurous and Technical diving

Comment

• danpayneuk
      TDF Member
      • Nov 2014

cheers mark. Was having a look earlier :-)
      http://www.fluidvisionsphotography.co.uk

Comment

• BARDO
        Underwater Creative
        • Dec 2012

Like others, I'd highly recommend Graham Blackmore. Graham can run anything from a twinset primer to a full-on GUE Tech2 course.

Follow my work on social media... www.instagram.com/bardophotographic
        View my online photo library... www.bardophotographic.com
        "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free" - JW Goethe

Comment

• techdiver
          TDF Member
          • May 2013

I would recommend Sandford and Down dive centre in Plymouth run by Dave Pelly an ex commercial diver with a vast experience.

Comment

• TheRedDarren
            TDF Member
            • Nov 2013

If you were to book a TDI course, can you request that Mark Powell teaches you?

Comment

• timmyg
              Gobbie squaddie, average diver
              • Dec 2012

You book the course through the instructor you wish to do it with

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk
              My pages:
              l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Comment

• graham_hk
                Established TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

Ian. Yes deffinately thought about the gue route.

There seems pros and cons to it. Major pros from what I see are that you should become a much better diver, technique wise etc.

Cons. well for me at present. It seems a bit to regimented. I see the reasons for this, just not sure it suits me.

Thanks for the advice with graham Blackmore :-)

Saying that I would love to give it a go on one of their trial days, to make a final decision.
                Got a fundies class at end of month which is perfect for any diver considering technical diving. Its a IE for Neil Powell so essentially you get two instructors for price of one

Comment

• WFO
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

I'm only an aow diver at the mo, but I am really interested in ice diving, the deep wrecks off Northern Ireland and even some cave/ mine diving. All one step at a time though lol. Ccr I guess will eventually come along with this more as a necessity.
                  How much diving have you done and what sort of dives?

If you're regularly diving in the uk in varied conditions BSAC sports diver will be a waste of time for you except for the rescue lesson. However it might be worth doing the box ticking bollox if you wanted to go down route of more bsac qualifications.

I would go as far as to say if you did really learn much doing sports diver then you would be well advised to stick around that level for a while.

Depends on your rate of progression really (desired rate plus taking into account how much spare cash and time you have). If you want to go and do deep stuff off malin with any sort of regularity then you won't want to be doing that on OC trimix as it's sodding expensive, I sacked off that idea pretty quick and that was with me mixing my own gas let alone paying shop or boat prices. So you end up down the CCR route... and I would say get on one sooner rather than later. I don't think my twinset and stage diving experience gave me as much useful experience as doing the same stuff on ccr would have with the same rate of progression.

But obviously that's some serious outlay of time. Don't worry too much about the cost, people blow that all out of proportion, you can get an inspo classic second hand for the same sort of prices you could pay to set up a decent twin set.

So have a think about your current level and your ambitions and a route to get there before you splash a load of cash.

Comment

• cazyoung
                    I still don't have a member
                    • Dec 2012

The OP has not visited the forum since 13/08/2015. !!!
                    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
                    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Comment

• Ian_6301
                      Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by cazyoung
                      The OP has not visited the forum since 13/08/2015. !!!
                      That's no excuse not to have a lynch mob!
                      Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

Working...