X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allan Carr
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Update from Truk

My wife and I are currently in Chu'uk, having arrived on Good Friday five days after the typhoon hit. There has been a lot of damage with 6 vessels blown on to shore, including two liveaboards, Truk Siren and Odyssey. Truk Siren has been heavily looted and vandalised and is possibly a write-off. Odyssey looks to be repairable but will have to be moved elsewhere for repairs because there are no facilities in Chu'uk. The land based diving operations are still operating (we are at the Truk Stop Hotel) as is the Thorfinn 'liveaboard' although this is in fact more a floating hotel which simply anchors in the area of most of the wrecks and diving is from skiffs.

I have photos of both Siren and Odyssey in their sorry state but internet access has only just been restored but with reduced bandwith so I can't upload photos.

There has been some damage to some of the shallower wrecks but nothing too significant. The main impact has been on visibility which normally is excellent at this time of year but is down to 12-15M on most of the wrecks. It was better on some of the deeper wrecks which we did yesterday.

Chu'uk is a very sad place. LOts of people wandering around doing very little. There is very little in terms of economic activity and the only significant employer is the government. The place effectively runs on US aid money. It is difficult to decide what is damage caused by the typhoon and what was due to general neglect. The only tourism is from divers and in a good year they will only get around 2500. Most of the people are friendly and welcoming but when we went for a walk around lunchtime the other day, we were pushed into a large puddle in the road several inches deep by two surly young men. We wouldn't feel safe walking around after dark.

The diving is not particularly well developed and could be made much more attractive. However, the dilema is that it could never be developed as resort diving - it is serious Rec/Tec stuff. We have hit deco on all but two dives so far, even using nitrox. They have a policy of safety stops of 2mins at 60 feet, 3 minuutes at 30 feet and 10 minutes at 15 feet with slow ascents between stops (not sure about the wisdom of veryy slow ascents from the deep stop though). Diving on air, this would barely have cleared our deco obligations and yesterday, one pair diving on air, ran up over 20 minutes of stops in addition to this.

The wrecks are starting to deteriorate and you are left wondering what the future for this community will be in a couple of decades time when they don't even have the wrecks to attract visitors.
  • Baron015
    Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu
    • Jan 2013

Sounds exactly the same as before the Typhoon, sadly.

Memento mori.

Comment

• damianb
      Established TDF Member
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Allan Carr
      My wife and I are currently in Chu'uk, having arrived on Good Friday five days after the typhoon hit. There has been a lot of damage with 6 vessels blown on to shore, including two liveaboards, Truk Siren and Odyssey. Truk Siren has been heavily looted and vandalised and is possibly a write-off. Odyssey looks to be repairable but will have to be moved elsewhere for repairs because there are no facilities in Chu'uk. The land based diving operations are still operating (we are at the Truk Stop Hotel) as is the Thorfinn 'liveaboard' although this is in fact more a floating hotel which simply anchors in the area of most of the wrecks and diving is from skiffs.

I have photos of both Siren and Odyssey in their sorry state but internet access has only just been restored but with reduced bandwith so I can't upload photos.

There has been some damage to some of the shallower wrecks but nothing too significant. The main impact has been on visibility which normally is excellent at this time of year but is down to 12-15M on most of the wrecks. It was better on some of the deeper wrecks which we did yesterday.

Chu'uk is a very sad place. LOts of people wandering around doing very little. There is very little in terms of economic activity and the only significant employer is the government. The place effectively runs on US aid money. It is difficult to decide what is damage caused by the typhoon and what was due to general neglect. The only tourism is from divers and in a good year they will only get around 2500. Most of the people are friendly and welcoming but when we went for a walk around lunchtime the other day, we were pushed into a large puddle in the road several inches deep by two surly young men. We wouldn't feel safe walking around after dark.

The diving is not particularly well developed and could be made much more attractive. However, the dilema is that it could never be developed as resort diving - it is serious Rec/Tec stuff. We have hit deco on all but two dives so far, even using nitrox. They have a policy of safety stops of 2mins at 60 feet, 3 minuutes at 30 feet and 10 minutes at 15 feet with slow ascents between stops (not sure about the wisdom of veryy slow ascents from the deep stop though). Diving on air, this would barely have cleared our deco obligations and yesterday, one pair diving on air, ran up over 20 minutes of stops in addition to this.

The wrecks are starting to deteriorate and you are left wondering what the future for this community will be in a couple of decades time when they don't even have the wrecks to attract visitors.
      Very sad to hear. Thanks for the live report!
      Pain is weakness leaving the body

Comment

• jb2cool
        Sorry for being a dick
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Baron015
        Sounds exactly the same as before the Typhoon, sadly.
        I was thinking the same.

Comment

• thetrickster
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Thanks for the report, yep sounds just the same as when I first visited. You really didn't want to be on the street.

Comment

• PeterL
            The artist formerly known as petlowe....
            • Dec 2012

Wow, they really did a number on Siren....

Comment

• mark weaver
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jb2cool
              I was thinking the same.
              I always thought Chu'uk was supposed to be the dogs, glad i never bothered going.

Comment

• jb2cool
                Sorry for being a dick
                • Dec 2012

Don't get me wrong, the diving is good and the wreck penetration is like nothing you've ever done before but the island itself is a dump.

Comment

• mark weaver
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jb2cool
                  Don't get me wrong, the diving is good and the wreck penetration is like nothing you've ever done before but the island itself is a dump.
                  worth knowing. There is plenty of good diving to be had without needing to go to a dump.

Comment

• AndrewR
                    TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Think you misunderstand. Once you are in the resort (Blue Lagoon) or on a liveaboard its fine. Its the ride from Airport to resort / boat that you notice it

Comment

• londonsean69
                      Bacon fiend
                      • Dec 2012

Micronesia is poor, with Chuuk being one of the poorest states (in terms of GDP).
                      Unemployment is high in Micronesia, again with Chuuk being pretty much the highest.

So, the busiest island, with the poorest people, and the highest unemployment.

No wonder it looks like a dump.
                      Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Comment

• mark weaver
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by AndrewR
                        Think you misunderstand. Once you are in the resort (Blue Lagoon) or on a liveaboard its fine. Its the ride from Airport to resort / boat that you notice it
                        yes. I kind of got that. Similar to Egypt, just a transit point to get on a liveaboard.

Comment

• Baron015
                          Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu
                          • Jan 2013

Update from Truk

Originally posted by mark weaver
                          yes. I kind of got that. Similar to Egypt, just a transit point to get on a liveaboard.
                          Some will argue it's better to be shore based in Truk. You don't have to go outside the Blue Lagoon compound. Unless you go to Truk Stop for pizza, and then someone from BL will drive you there and back. There is nowhere else to go. But Certainly prob better land based than on Thorfinn. At least Odyssey moved around, although it was a permanent race between the bilge pumps and sinking.

However the wreck diving is really world class. And makes everything else worth it. I've been 3 times and will go back again. There aren't many places with such good wartime wrecks, that aren't also dumps. Palau also has good wrecks and is less poor than Chuuk. Bikini has good wrecks but Kwaj and Ebeye on the way there are total shitholes. Coron wrecks are good but in a bit of a squaddie dump. Scapa isn't exactly white sand beaches and luxury villas. Malin is exposed to the Atlantic weather. Etc etc etc.
                          Last edited by Baron015; 14-04-2015, 08:32 PM.

Memento mori.

Comment

• matt
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by mark weaver
                            worth knowing. There is plenty of good diving to be had without needing to go to a dump.
                            True, but the diving is better than good. Much better.

I like Truk, and the people, and didn't have any bother with the locals. I've been 3 times.

Matt.

Comment

• mark weaver
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Baron015
                              Some will argue it's better to be shore based in Truk. You don't have to go outside the Blue Lagoon compound. Unless you go to Truk Stop for pizza, and then someone from BL will drive you there and back. There is nowhere else to go. But Certainly prob better land based than on Thorfinn. At least Odyssey moved around, although it was a permanent race between the bilge pumps and sinking.

However the wreck diving is really world class. And makes everything else worth it. I've been 3 times and will go back again. There aren't many places with such good wartime wrecks, that aren't also dumps. Palau also has good wrecks and is less poor than Chuuk. Bikini has good wrecks but Kwaj and Ebeye on the way there are total shitholes. Coron wrecks are good but in a bit of a squaddie dump. Scapa isn't exactly white sand beaches and luxury villas. Malin is exposed to the Atlantic weather. Etc etc etc.
                              I have done the coron wrecks, not sure what you mean about a squaddie dump, do you mean coron town. We stayed on Sangat Island and thought it was great, wrecks are between 5 and 20 mins from there so get luch plus an hour on the beach between dives.

I understand what you are saying about truk but nowadays when i go away it is a holiday also not just about the best diving. Also we like to go places where we can dive on our own.

Each to their own, personally i still get the most pleasure out of doing some of the deeper wrecks out of Eyemouth.

Do not get me wrong, i would still like to dive the wrecks in truk but it is not top of the list at the moment.
                              Last edited by mark weaver; 15-04-2015, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Working...