Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update from Truk

My wife and I are currently in Chu'uk, having arrived on Good Friday five days after the typhoon hit. There has been a lot of damage with 6 vessels blown on to shore, including two liveaboards, Truk Siren and Odyssey. Truk Siren has been heavily looted and vandalised and is possibly a write-off. Odyssey looks to be repairable but will have to be moved elsewhere for repairs because there are no facilities in Chu'uk. The land based diving operations are still operating (we are at the Truk Stop Hotel) as is the Thorfinn 'liveaboard' although this is in fact more a floating hotel which simply anchors in the area of most of the wrecks and diving is from skiffs.

I have photos of both Siren and Odyssey in their sorry state but internet access has only just been restored but with reduced bandwith so I can't upload photos.

There has been some damage to some of the shallower wrecks but nothing too significant. The main impact has been on visibility which normally is excellent at this time of year but is down to 12-15M on most of the wrecks. It was better on some of the deeper wrecks which we did yesterday.

Chu'uk is a very sad place. LOts of people wandering around doing very little. There is very little in terms of economic activity and the only significant employer is the government. The place effectively runs on US aid money. It is difficult to decide what is damage caused by the typhoon and what was due to general neglect. The only tourism is from divers and in a good year they will only get around 2500. Most of the people are friendly and welcoming but when we went for a walk around lunchtime the other day, we were pushed into a large puddle in the road several inches deep by two surly young men. We wouldn't feel safe walking around after dark.

The diving is not particularly well developed and could be made much more attractive. However, the dilema is that it could never be developed as resort diving - it is serious Rec/Tec stuff. We have hit deco on all but two dives so far, even using nitrox. They have a policy of safety stops of 2mins at 60 feet, 3 minuutes at 30 feet and 10 minutes at 15 feet with slow ascents between stops (not sure about the wisdom of veryy slow ascents from the deep stop though). Diving on air, this would barely have cleared our deco obligations and yesterday, one pair diving on air, ran up over 20 minutes of stops in addition to this.

The wrecks are starting to deteriorate and you are left wondering what the future for this community will be in a couple of decades time when they don't even have the wrecks to attract visitors.

Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu Baron015's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sounds exactly the same as before the Typhoon, sadly.

Memento mori.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    My wife and I are currently in Chu'uk, having arrived on Good Friday five days after the typhoon hit. There has been a lot of damage with 6 vessels blown on to shore, including two liveaboards, Truk Siren and Odyssey. Truk Siren has been heavily looted and vandalised and is possibly a write-off. Odyssey looks to be repairable but will have to be moved elsewhere for repairs because there are no facilities in Chu'uk. The land based diving operations are still operating (we are at the Truk Stop Hotel) as is the Thorfinn 'liveaboard' although this is in fact more a floating hotel which simply anchors in the area of most of the wrecks and diving is from skiffs.

I have photos of both Siren and Odyssey in their sorry state but internet access has only just been restored but with reduced bandwith so I can't upload photos.

There has been some damage to some of the shallower wrecks but nothing too significant. The main impact has been on visibility which normally is excellent at this time of year but is down to 12-15M on most of the wrecks. It was better on some of the deeper wrecks which we did yesterday.

Chu'uk is a very sad place. LOts of people wandering around doing very little. There is very little in terms of economic activity and the only significant employer is the government. The place effectively runs on US aid money. It is difficult to decide what is damage caused by the typhoon and what was due to general neglect. The only tourism is from divers and in a good year they will only get around 2500. Most of the people are friendly and welcoming but when we went for a walk around lunchtime the other day, we were pushed into a large puddle in the road several inches deep by two surly young men. We wouldn't feel safe walking around after dark.

The diving is not particularly well developed and could be made much more attractive. However, the dilema is that it could never be developed as resort diving - it is serious Rec/Tec stuff. We have hit deco on all but two dives so far, even using nitrox. They have a policy of safety stops of 2mins at 60 feet, 3 minuutes at 30 feet and 10 minutes at 15 feet with slow ascents between stops (not sure about the wisdom of veryy slow ascents from the deep stop though). Diving on air, this would barely have cleared our deco obligations and yesterday, one pair diving on air, ran up over 20 minutes of stops in addition to this.

The wrecks are starting to deteriorate and you are left wondering what the future for this community will be in a couple of decades time when they don't even have the wrecks to attract visitors.
    Very sad to hear. Thanks for the live report!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron015 View Post
    Sounds exactly the same as before the Typhoon, sadly.
    I was thinking the same.

Established TDF Member thetrickster's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the report, yep sounds just the same as when I first visited. You really didn't want to be on the street.

The artist formerly known as petlowe.... PeterL's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wow, they really did a number on Siren....

Established TDF Member mark weaver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    I was thinking the same.
    I always thought Chu'uk was supposed to be the dogs, glad i never bothered going.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't get me wrong, the diving is good and the wreck penetration is like nothing you've ever done before but the island itself is a dump.

Established TDF Member mark weaver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    Don't get me wrong, the diving is good and the wreck penetration is like nothing you've ever done before but the island itself is a dump.
    worth knowing. There is plenty of good diving to be had without needing to go to a dump.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Think you misunderstand. Once you are in the resort (Blue Lagoon) or on a liveaboard its fine. Its the ride from Airport to resort / boat that you notice it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast