Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thailand

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thailand

I fancy going to Thailand in September, I think I will head for a place called Krabi. Has anyone been? What's the diving like and what's the area like in general? Cheers Tim

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by timthefish View Post
    I fancy going to Thailand in September, I think I will head for a place called Krabi. Has anyone been? What's the diving like and what's the area like in general? Cheers Tim
    Are you looking at landbased or liveaboard? See trip reports for my recent (Jan) trip to Thailand drom a liveaboard out of Phuket
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Forgot to say, September is low season so would need to check which itineraries are running and where...
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    September is the end of the wet season, where the gulf of Thailand on the other side of the country is dive able but not the best diving, krabI, koh phi phi etc on that Coast (and further out if you live aboard) has much better diving but is generally better left until late October onwards

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think I might be better leaving it until a bit later in the year. I can see I am going to have to get the laptop out and do some serious research on the dive sites to really decide. I think I might do a liveaboard for a few days then do the rest on land. I fancy relaxing a bit not just 4 dives a day on a boat

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Let me know if you want any more details re the boat I went on or my trip. It's definitely worth doing a bit of research and deciding what you want to do and see to get the most out of your trip. I was there to maximise my diving, but the boat I was on did 2 and 4 day trips and other operators do the same so you can mix your time on land and at sea.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Krabi province or town?

The town itself is pretty developed and busy. Its saving grace is access to the various national parks etc around. I wouldnt choose to stay there again. Krabi province has a wide variety of nice spots, including rei lei (very nice), but I didnt rate the diving off that coast (i only used days boats though).

What do you want to do when you're there... party/dive/hiking/caving/climbing etc etc.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hey Tim (and all)

We are heading out to Koh Lanta in Krabi province at the start of April. From what we've read, Koh Lanta is a lovely island and is also the closest island to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang dive sites which are apparently excellent. I'm sure there is plenty of good diving from various islands around that area though, including Phuket.

We are looking for dive shop recommendations for Koh Lanta, but I'll start a new thread for that. (Edit: http://www.thediveforum.com/showthre...220#post221220)
    Last edited by JungleMartin; 21-02-2015 at 10:25 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The easy answer to this is a 5/6 day liveaboard to the Similan Islands & Richelieu Rock area. By far the best diving in Thailand but you will have to wait until December until they are open. The best time to visit is in the new year I believe.
    Then get back onto the mainland for the best of what Thailand can offer!
    Just Enough Education To Perform

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Tim, I've been many times and even taught there. We can chat about it soon.
    Declared interest:
    SDI/TDI Diver Training, Stingray RHIB and/or Moonshadow Hard Boat Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast