Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Suunto DX dive computer, new product announcement.

Suunto DX, it has arrived. At Aquanauts yesterday we had a conference call with the folks at Suunto, and yes there is a new computer on the market. All the tech specs are here: Sunnto DX.

So the Suunto DX (or D10 as they will want to call it) on the face of it has all the usual functions for open-circuit recreational and technical divers that you would expect, air, gauge, nitrox and trimix support. For the serious techies it has gas switching between up to 8 gases. Not my cup of tea, but it seems solid enough. The interesting thing is it also has a dedicated non-monitoring CCR mode as well. You can configure up 3 different diluents, adjustable set points and automatic and manual set point switching plus an open circuit bailout mode (Banana Joe got all excited about this and phoned home for more money instantly)

Here is the question we could not agree on. One of the features of this computer is an implementation of RGBM called the Fused RGBM algorithm. It is a mix of Suunto’s own technical RGBM for the shallow portion of the ascent with a Bruce Wienke developed RGBM for the deep sections. I don’t use a computer for my mix and cave diving so just don’t see the benefit of so much technology in one device, whereas my colleague Paul (who is also GUE trained) thinks they are the mutts nuts.

I guess the question is should we be comfortable with ‘new’ hybrid decompression algorithms and ever more complex instruments?
    Last edited by Badger; 11-01-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Grammar!
    GUE Instructor

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There's a review in the February edition of Diver...
    It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

The Fox.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And then you see the price.

I'm going all retro and staying with the hard wired computer and a dive timer for back up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As the lady in the antique shop helpfully pointed out when I was browsing: These things are for rich people.
    It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

The Fox.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitnab Nhoj View Post
    As the lady in the antique shop helpfully pointed out when I was browsing: These things are for rich people.
    And the gullible....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    And the gullible....
    Those of us that got free £4000 sofas, Samsung TVs, velvet curtains, expensive rugs, four-poster beds etc from a certain millionaire's house in Wimbledon last week, thought the owner really gullible! (He just cleared out that house before having it rebuilt and couldn't be asked to put things on eBay - fool! Wasted his money on a big motor yacht too.)

The Fox.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those of us that got free £4000 sofas, Samsung TVs, velvet curtains, expensive rugs, four-poster beds etc from a certain millionaire's house in Wimbledon last week, thought the owner really gullible! (He just cleared out that house before having it rebuilt and couldn't be asked to put things on eBay - fool! Wasted his money on a big motor yacht too.)
    Well done but Suunto aren't giving the computers away are they.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well done but Suunto aren't giving the computers away are they.
    I thought that you were implying that rich and successful people are gullible. Our friend in Wimbledon is a keen diver. He went to Aldabra. When I asked which liveaboard he went on he gave me an old-fashioned look and said "Our own".

The Fox.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought that you were implying that rich and successful people are gullible. Our friend in Wimbledon is a keen diver. He went to Aldabra. When I asked which liveaboard he went on he gave me an old-fashioned look and said "Our own".
    I'm having a tough time working out why any one would pay £1000 for a CCR back up (not even able to be integrated) when a dive timer for £80 does the job. I honestly liked the look of it and would of thought about buying it till I saw the price.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm having a tough time working out why any one would pay £1000 for a CCR back up (not even able to be integrated) when a dive timer for £80 does the job. I honestly liked the look of it and would of thought about buying it till I saw the price.
    You know those people that buy the Rolex Sea Dweller with the helium-escape valve?...They're not all commercial divers. It costs around £5000, in which case the Suunto is a bargain!
    Last edited by Nitnab Nhoj; 11-01-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast