Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would suggest that the title of this incident is misleading.

The CO2 sensor correctly indicated a CO2 hit in the system whilst the diver was at depth. The subsequent actions of the diver were then dictated by his lack of familiarity/confidence with the equipment setup.

What is also needed in this report is the scrubber usage prior to the dive. If it was new scrubber, then could he have over breathed the stack or was it partially used and ended with natural break though.

The o-ring, of course, is another potential route for gas channeling.

However, when all said and done, I'm glad that he A. Survived and B. Reported it so that other may benefit.

Fibre

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wow, things one learns on TDF, like

don't modify your kit and jump back in where you left off without familiarising yourself and expect your previous experience to pull you through.

And on a lighter note
    Don't use O2 grease on your ring
    Larry greases his ring, whilst Mark fingers his ring and BTS ...well he just kisses his ring

Oh the innuendo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I recognise the conditions and, was diving the Markgraf on the day in question.

There was indeed a lot of current on the line and, rather than hauling myself down the line, I (unusually) used the scooter to power down against the current.

I appreciate the AP comments about CE testing covering more challenging conditions but had I done the dive without the scooter I am sure I would have been knackered when I got down and would have carried out an extended delay before commencing the dive, or possibly just aborted it, as I don't believe hard work and diving, especially CCR diving, are compatible.

It is not recorded in the report but the water temperature was 12c.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by fibre View Post
    What is also needed in this report is the scrubber usage prior to the dive. If it was new scrubber, then could he have over breathed the stack or was it partially used and ended with natural break though.
    The report does say it was a fresh scrubber.

Closed Account: User Requested nickb's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    I recognise the conditions and, was diving the Markgraf on the day in question.

There was indeed a lot of current on the line and, rather than hauling myself down the line, I (unusually) used the scooter to power down against the current.

I appreciate the AP comments about CE testing covering more challenging conditions but had I done the dive without the scooter I am sure I would have been knackered when I got down and would have carried out an extended delay before commencing the dive, or possibly just aborted it, as I don't believe hard work and diving, especially CCR diving, are compatible.

It is not recorded in the report but the water temperature was 12c.
    I can confirm that Dave was using a scooter as he lapped me about 3 times. Not sure about the 8m of viz either, it was pretty shitty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12