Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I am pretty sure the OP wasn't asking about bail out yet everyone is banging on about bail out...
    Thats because the OP made little sense otherwise.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The OP asked about supplementing your rebreather with a rich mix.
    Most of us were perplexed because we know we can flush our loop to pure oxygen and still use peanuts. What is a 'rich mix' in this context?
    So we offered the configurations we dive.

Then I pointed out that my training at MOD1 didn't include a bailout tank and that was my basic dive mode.
    I have 3L of DIL and that will get me out of a non-deco dive.
    Some people think that is wrong and others think it is reasonable.
    Some people, apparently, wouldn't let me dive like that.
    That's OK. I don't dive with the dive police. I certainly prefer not to dive with a buddy like that.

A lot of MOD1 and also MOD2 was about how to stay on the loop and manage problems.
    There is no sense in cluttering myself up with enough cylinders to do the dive on OC.
    The original Inspo manual I had gave an example using the DIL and the 3L of O2 so on my first unit I put a reg on the oxygen too.
    That's actually quite a lot of bailout.

I am quite content with how I dive. I do my manual control drills every year and after one CO2 hit I always have a BOV.
    I am carefully paranoid about oxygen levels and oxygen cells. I run a separate suit inflate bottle.
    I've been doing it since 2001.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So back to the OP ... I always have 1 cylinder breathable at MOD that is separate to my unit. When the benefit of a second cylinder outweighs the risk of carying a second stage (with a rich mix not safe at depth) then I take a second.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    and I'm ok with those odds.
    Which are 1 in 2000? Too rich for my blood. I've had a full flood on the KISS (warped scrubber housing) and it came on slowly but the unit was unbreathable at 6m. Fortunately there were 9 other divers on the trapeze, each with full bailout tins, so together there were 20 bottles of gas for me to use if I wanted. Plus a drop tank (which worked).

Very reassuring.

Janos
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
    Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
    My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebt View Post
    *cough* do i hear the sound of the Bagpipes of doom?
    I think you'll find I got on the MacMeg again at 6m. Actually, now I think about it, the MacMeg got back on me. Like a crazed octopus. Luckily I managed to wrestle free before anyone spotted me.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron015 View Post
    I've had a full and ongoing flood at 50m- counterlung with 1.5 inch gap opened up along the seam. Hard to see how I would do my long 6m stop back on the loop with new water flooding in each breath, there is only so many times you can use your diluent to force the water out (Sentinel). So it does happen!
    Like I said, I'm not saying it doesnt, it's just never happened to me and those odds I'm happy with.

50m is a lot different to a noddy dive where a 3 is a ton of gas. I've bailed from 40m on my 3l suit bottle and never dented half the gas. That makes me fairly confident 20-odd metres and a couple of minutes of stops wouldn't be beyond it's limits.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Which are 1 in 2000? Too rich for my blood. I've had a full flood on the KISS (warped scrubber housing) and it came on slowly but the unit was unbreathable at 6m. Fortunately there were 9 other divers on the trapeze, each with full bailout tins, so together there were 20 bottles of gas for me to use if I wanted. Plus a drop tank (which worked).

Very reassuring.

Janos
    I've got a unit with a scrubber made out of stainless, if it hasnt warped in the last 35 years it isnt going to warp now. The lung is housed in a stainless case. The plumbing is 3000psi rated and mostly Swagelok compression fittings. There's about 4 orings. The only bit I cant do anything about are the loop hoses and BOV. I'm happy with those 1 in 2000 odds on noddy dives.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    I've got a unit with a scrubber made out of stainless, if it hasnt warped in the last 35 years it isnt going to warp now. The lung is housed in a stainless case. The plumbing is 3000psi rated and mostly Swagelok compression fittings. There's about 4 orings. The only bit I cant do anything about are the loop hoses and BOV. I'm happy with those 1 in 2000 odds on noddy dives.
    Fair enough. I didn't know the KISS could warp in the way it did until it happened to me, and then I researched it and found Brian Davell's posts on the subject. If I were a better f'in diver I'd have found out about the potential fault before it happened.

But I'm not a better f'in diver and so I take bailout.

Janos
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
    Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
    My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Fair enough. I didn't know the KISS could warp in the way it did until it happened to me, and then I researched it and found Brian Davell's posts on the subject. If I were a better f'in diver I'd have found out about the potential fault before it happened.

But I'm not a better f'in diver and so I take bailout.

Janos
    Where did I say anything about not taking bailout?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    ...7L of pelforth blonde and 3L of vin d'cahors?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast