Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockystock1 View Post
    Hood over mask is not easy, especially in a thick hood
    In thick gloves it's easier. Your chunky fingers are handling something solid.

I was surprised how simple it was and wouldn't go back now.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    neither is skateboarding the first time you try it.

At it's most basic diving is not hard, fall in the water, breathe in, breathe out, don't die, swim about, get out. making it look effortless and easy is the hard part and that comes from practice and thinking.

practice something, if it doesn't work think about why it didn't work and make subtle tweaks to technique and/or equipment and practice some more to develop familiarity and muscle memory. sweat the small stuff and it all becomes easy. when it all becomes too easy, push the envelope and repeat. eventually you'll get to a point where diving isn't about concentrating on trim or clearing a mask or adjusting kit or monitoring time/depth/ppO2/or whatever, that just happens without any conscious effort. It will become all about what you are seeing and experiencing at that moment and feeling truly alive.*

Don't try to run before you can walk and don't try all the stuff you read on t'internet till you've absolutely nailed the basics.

* apologies, went a little Tom there for a moment

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Jollop is rubbish as lube but it can be used to slick your hair back.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If this gets to be a major problem for you then maybe a different mask with a much smaller area of face covered. I use a Tecnisub Micromask but any primarily for free diving might do. I always check the seating of mask below hood or Do rag but almost never find a problemwith the hood edges. I use this mask as the glass is as close to my eyes as possible giving me a better view through the viewfinder on my Ikelite housing, not because of hair or hood issues. I have no hair.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    If this gets to be a major problem for you then maybe a different mask with a much smaller area of face covered. I use a Tecnisub Micromask but any primarily for free diving might do. I always check the seating of mask below hood or Do rag but almost never find a problemwith the hood edges. I use this mask as the glass is as close to my eyes as possible giving me a better view through the viewfinder on my Ikelite housing, not because of hair or hood issues. I have no hair.
    I am up for trying that. When my hair grows back to medium length I will see how I get on. A low volume mask looks good but always a bit worried that if they don't prescription I'll have to get bonded lenses and if the glass is already close to the eyes that might be an issue.
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Any suggestions on how to get around this? I am considering buying a swimming cap and putting this on first before the hood.
    Post your problem on TDF with the certainty of a helpful and supporting response

Did someone say get a haircut? Failing that get a rebreather and all your problem will be different
    (and some more supportive and others more silent)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12