Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indonesia

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indonesia

Have this evening booked flights to Indonesia, will be there for 4 weeks in August. Will be travelling alone but am keen to explore a bit and would love to hear some recommendations of places to go (and avoid)

I love to dive with the big stuff, but equally with the macro critters

Thanks in advanced
    Laura

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I dived with Tasik in Bunaken - superb walls and they went out of their way to make our stay special. Then onto Lembeh Strait which, for me, is some of the best diving i've done due to the abundance and diversity of life. Stayed at KBR there, which was a very good quality place but I beleive it is under new management now. Overall, the best diving destinations i've done but i'm more bothered about the small stuff...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Where in Indo have you booked flights to? It's kind of a big place, what with 17,000 islands

I will assume you have booked flights to Jakarta, and will travel on from there.

Places I have been.......

Bali - was there in 2008 for 3 weeks
    Nice place, has a bit of everything, from Mantas and Mola-Mola through to macro and muck.
    I stayed and dived in Tulamben, where the Liberty wreck is around 50m offshore. Local dives could be wide angle, or macro, but not much big stuff around there (bumphead parrotfish and barracudas). For Mantas Lembongan is pretty good (not been myself though) and the Sunfish can be a deep (45m) and chilly 17c dive. Seraya secrets is a great little muck dive.

Lembeh - 1 week 2008, 3 weeks 2013
    Fantastic muck diving, does also have some decent coral and wide angle stuff, but not really much 'big' stuff. I have a trip report on here somewhere with a few photos. - http://www.thediveforum.com/showthre...ghlight=lembeh
    You fly into Manado, which is on the island of Sulawesi.

Bunaken - 1 week 2008
    Just on the other side of Sulawesi, Bunaken was meant to be big walls and big fish, but I Was sorely disappointed. It seemed to consist of broken coral, then drop offs with no fish. I wouldn't be rushing back.

Ambon - 3 weeks, 2011
    Just superb, but pricey as there is only 1 proper operator (apart from visiting liveaboards). Fantastic macro and muck, stunning wide angle, caverns, a decent wreck, it has it all, apart from 'big' stuff.
    Some Ambon photos - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=06f102a7b7

I've not been to Komodo, or Raja Ampat, but hear they are both meant to be excellent and have mantas and a few sharks. Indo is not the best place for big stuff though, it has been fairly heavily fished out. For muck and macro though, it's hard to beat.

In your shoes, I would do a week in Ambon, fly Ambon-Manado and do 2 weeks in Lembeh (can be had for a reasonable price), then fly Manado-Bali for a week, spending a few days in Lembongan for the Mantas, finally heading to Tulamben for a couple of days to do the wreck and good mixed local diving. However, it all depends on budget, as ever.
    Last edited by londonsean69; 08-04-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you for such quick replies, certainly plenty to research. Yes I am flying to Jakarta, but didn't put that in the original post as didn't want recommendations just made around Jakarta as I'm happy to take internal flights

I'm currently quite taken with the idea of Komodo island, would like to see a bit of the island as well as the watery bit around it but, early days yet, will be doing lots of research into all of the suggestions

Thanks again

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I enjoyed Bunaken and Lembeh in North Sulawesi. North Raja Ampat was very good, South not so great - good, but not worth the extra travelling to W. Papua on it's own.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd recomend both Komodo and Raja Ampat. I've done both these destinations in August and really enjoyed them.

A liveaboard around the Komodo area from Labuan Bajo will deliver the chances of both mantas and sharks as well as some pristine reefs. You'd also get the chance to schlep around Komodo Island in 35 degrees to find one hour later that all the Komodo Dragons are waiting for you at the end of the tour by the ranger's station.

The Dampier Strait area of Raja Ampat is great in August. I spent a week at Sorido Bay and was blown away with the quality of the diving. It's everything that you read about in the guide books. My abiding memory is a dive site called Blue surprise where we had 6 wobbegong(sp?) sharks. The downside to Raja Ampat is the airport at Sorong, a truly horrible place.

Bali is also worth a stop over in my opinion. There's a chance of Mola Mola at Nusa Penida and USS Liberty at Tulamben is beautiful dive.

The problem with Indonesia is that there's too much to dive in four weeks, wherever you end up going I'm sure that you'll have great diving.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Avoid this at all costs:

The World's Dirtiest River

Once a tropical paradise, the Citarum river on the Indonesian island of Java is now a toxic soup containing dangerously high levels of heavy metals, rubbish and sewage.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/unreported-world/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    G'day Laura

Komodo is an excellent dive destination. It is possible to do day trips into the park whilst staying on Flores but a liveaboard is the way to go if the budget stretches. I dived with www.divekomodo.com and although the boat was definitely for the budget conscious, the crew were excellent, as was the diving and food. I got in 20 dives in 6 days. There are lots more up market boats if you like a little luxury. The under water topography alone make the park worth diving but when you add reef sharks, turtles, sea snakes, tuna, trevally, frogfish, mandarin fish etc, it becomes a must do.

I also enjoyed diving in Bali. There are manta off Nusa Penida (done easily as a two or three dive day trip) as well as mola mola in season. I also really enjoyed diving the Liberty wreck in Tulamben. This has to be one of the easiest wreck dives available, swim from shore, warm water, lots of fish life. I also enjoyed diving Menjangen but it's a long way up the coast and was mainly macro stuff. I used www.aquamarinediving.com who are a Brit owned and run outfit who I'd whole-heartedly recommend and would use again.

Hope some of the above is helpful.

SCD

Not the nine o'clock news
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    if you are considering Komodo\Flores then you may be interesting in a short cruise to\from Flores:

http://www.peramatour.com/46-Sea%20A...-01-2N-3D.html

it is effectively a floating hostel, but the itinerary is quite good, the food is ok and you do get to visit the dragons.
    'I learned a valuable lesson that night. If you're going to try to fly a bicycle, you'd better make sure E.T is sittin' in your basket instead of a twelve pack of beer.'

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    August is Mola Mola season in Bali Lembongon good we were there in October and saw "only" Mantas. But very good feeding station. Very nice island much good diving as Sean said.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast