Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Prescription lenses, mask fit and face shape

Of all the dive kit that is essential I have yet to find a really satisfactory mask. I am short sighted enough (circa -2.8 in each eye) that if I don't use a prescription mask I feel I am missing out though I can get by without one. This has meant I have a more limited range of options (I don't wear contacts) but having considered getting a bonded lens from Axis Optical has opened door a bit more.

In addition I have spent a lot of time in dive shops trying on masks to date I have owned;

1x Tusa liberator
    1x Tusa ? (with replacement lenses but this work horse leaks so badly now that I suspect there might be damage to the skirt)
    2 x Hollis M1 (intention to bond a lens on but not done it as of yet)
    1 x Hollis M3 (now with the correct replacement lens)

It is a rare dive where I don't get some water in my mask, on other dives I have had the experience of having to clear my mask dozen or more times. I can only conclude that I have awkward face shape to find a good fit for. The two Hollis variants have been the best so far, fit a my narrowish face well but I still get some water creeping in at the bottom. I think this is due to the having the reg in my mouth that makes my upper lip lift up, disturbing the fit of the skirt just below my nose. Does anyone else find this an issue?
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I try a new mask for fit I shove a reg in my mouth, no point finding out after I've parted with my cash.
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpj View Post
    When I try a new mask for fit I shove a reg in my mouth, no point finding out after I've parted with my cash.
    Done that too
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have you tried masks aimed at women or teenagers? Might fit a narrow face better.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use Cressi Matrix masks, Axis bonded 1.5 lenses to them.. my kids used them from quite a young age (8-9) i.e small faces and they never leaked.. not too expensive either.. ~£32

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use an Atomic sub frame mask (medium), fits my narrow face a bit better than my backup hollis. The beard doesn't help.

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I got a Tulsa liberator works for me. It's funding a mask that fits that counts - made harder by not many offering off the shelf lenses.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a tuse splendive 2 and an old style technisub look both with -5.0 lenses in. Worth a try, but the technisub is obsolete now.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cheers for the suggestions guys. I will keep an eye out for trying the splendive and Cressi. Fairly sure I tried the atomic before and found the Hollis M1 a better fit. All the masks I have had are ok width wise so while I have a narrower face then some I don't think that's the issue. Water is getting in from underneath so design of the mask around the nose and cheeks is the crux of the problem I suspect.

Either there is little flat surface to seal on with reg with my mouth or maybe I am enjoying my diving too much and smiling?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Beaver Discovery mask is cheap and cheerful and comes with lenses and all black
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast