Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnohuk View Post
    my humble build.. been to 42m no issues.. the switch is the weak point but can be fixed..

http://johnohuk.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...r-my-sony.html
    Interesting article mate.

I too have tried to get the led closer to the front of the torch. I like the metal strip idea but was primarily worried about the led melting the perspex lens if I put it too close. You had any issues with that? How is that zip tie holding up to the heat?

My only experience with soldering was the other week puting a towbar on the car, so I might have a venture at extending the wires as you show now.

I must admit, on the one torch where the led unit was not press fitted in, I just used hot glue on the back to fix it in. This has worked fine. The other, which was press fitted, I just bashed out with a hammer and screwdriver on the Ali edge. It pops out easy enough with a tap.
    Be happy. If you're not, you're doing it wrong.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Never had a problem with it melting the perspex lens, but there is a gap of 5-8mm as I've rested the metal strip on the notch on the inside of the light.. which is a bit further down the tube... Underwater, here and in the Red Sea never had a problem with heat dissipation.. surprisingly... zip tie is fine... looks like the day I put it in... ( its a T&B one)... if you can't solder there is probably room for a small connector block! I noticed a slight shadow on the video which is why I added a second torch to my set-up...having the LED further back may lead to more cut-off...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Interesting. Defo might give this a go.

The soldering shouldn't be a problem. I'll just ask the electrician at work to do it for me. Nowt that lad won't do for a coffee and a hobnob.

Might take a look at how hot it does actually get in there as we have a number of adhesives and resins and two pack glue stuffs at work. One must surely be up to sticking the led unit to the metal strip.... *wonders*

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmanthin View Post
    Interesting. Defo might give this a go.

The soldering shouldn't be a problem. I'll just ask the electrician at work to do it for me. Nowt that lad won't do for a coffee and a hobnob.

Might take a look at how hot it does actually get in there as we have a number of adhesives and resins and two pack glue stuffs at work. One must surely be up to sticking the led unit to the metal strip.... *wonders*

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Try heatsink two part thermal compound from an electronics store - should only cost a couple of quid for a bucket full. Or use normal thermal compound (which never sets) and stick (no pun intended) with your zipties - the non setting stuff works better than the 2 part stuff at conducting heat

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Try heatsink two part thermal compound from an electronics store - should only cost a couple of quid for a bucket full. Or use normal thermal compound (which never sets) and stick (no pun intended) with your zipties - the non setting stuff works better than the 2 part stuff at conducting heat
    Can you recommend a brand or store? When you say electronics store, I'm thinking Currys, which I'm sure you don't mean =D

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Maplins?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I used some heatsink compound from a PC build I did... I'm sure PCworld have loads if not ebay...

It never sets but wipe away the excess and it usually stays in place..

John

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
    Can we see some results shot with this particular rig please ?

FFS, don't show this to Drysuit Diver, he'll want to know if there's any electrical cable in that conduit

Joking aside, What Torch? and i think thats a Fooking great idea, they charge Fooking stupid prices for what amounts to Jack Shit

I especially like the attention to detail, the foam grips

Good conduit installer would have made the bends and not had to buy the inspection elbows. that is a cracking set up tho. Going to give that a try . Oh and Paul kettles immersions showers . All water n leccy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have the a rig I got from DIR direct that I don't use.
    I have made a minor modification. I drilled a hole in the handle so I could fit the GoPro tripod connector to it.
    Let me know if you are still interested.
    Chris

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've been looking at these since they've been released

http://euro.knog.com.au/video-lights/qudos-action.html

I've been watching some dive vids done with them and for 80, they look OK. I've not found a bad review yet.

Andy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast