Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ostc3

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ostc3

I confess. I lost my OSTC2. It never made it back from a trip. I have turned everything out and invoked arcane gods but it's just gone.
    I'm sad. It was an old friend and we spent a lot of happy hours in the water together.
    So now I need a new test bed to play interfaces on....

I'm looking at the OSTC3 and it looks interesting so I thought I'd ask about it.
    Anybody got one? Reliable? Battery as good as they say? Screen still sears your eyeballs like the excellent OSTC2?

Also does any body know if this one is really open source as I can see the code for the OSTC2 on their website but not this one?
    I only really need code as an example to set up the screen and peripherals stuff as my page-turn interface is what I'm working on.

Alternatively does anybody want to part with an old 2/2N as my current code will drop straight into that and paying list for 'same again' jars. If I'm paying a new price I want an upgrade with new shiny toys.
    Last edited by nigel hewitt; 17-09-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Established TDF Member Rob Dobson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Nigel, the OSTC3 uses different hardware (screen and CPU for starters), so the code is therefore different but AFAIK still open source; although you may now be the last remaining 3rd party 'rolling their own' so not sure how publicly available the developer tools are these days. Drop them a line, I'm sure they'd be happy to help!

If you want to stick with a 2 drop Dave Whitlow a line as he was talking about chopping his 2 (2n I think?), in for a new 2c.

Skipper/Charter boat Bobanderson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had a couple of 3s cross the deck and they all seem to meet the usual HW high standard ofvreliability and ergonomics. I think however that you would fit better into the 2 camp as you have a deep understanding of both the software and physics.

Botb come highly recomrnded by my experience especially coupled with deep ideas superb customer support.

Hth

Bob

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dobson View Post
    Hi Nigel, the OSTC3 uses different hardware (screen and CPU for starters), so the code is therefore different but AFAIK still open source; although you may now be the last remaining 3rd party 'rolling their own' so not sure how publicly available the developer tools are these days. Drop them a line, I'm sure they'd be happy to help!
    Last? That's sad. It's a lovely platform just short on log storage and the '3 has masses.
    Changing stuff is no problem if I have an example to crib from. I was drawing lines and characters on the last one in a week of evenings, it started diving shortly after.

I've looked at the DIY thread and decided I'm too lazy to roll my own even if I do have machine tools available.
    The programming game is that I don't think menus are a good idea and I have this 'page change' interface I've been developing.
    That's the target but as I am, by choice, an assembler programmer this sort of thing rather sings my sort of song.

I'll email MH.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post
    Alternatively does anybody want to part with an old 2/2N as my current code will drop straight into that and paying list for 'same again' jars. If I'm paying a new price I want an upgrade with new shiny toys.
    I could be persuaded to part with my trust OSTC 2N as Rob is dangling new toys in front of me

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hummm...
    A payment in from my publisher. People are buying books.
    I was debating between a '3 and APD's new HUS but it might not need to be a choice.

Dave. If I can't get example code for a 3 I'll go for a 2 and get back to you.
    However if somebody else offers you money don't wait on me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Try here (no guarantees as not having an OSTC I didn't check it out fully).

https://bitbucket.org/heinrichsweikamp/osct3_code
    We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears. We must not demean life by standing in awe of death -- David Sarnoff

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadUKDiver View Post
    Try here (no guarantees as not having an OSTC I didn't check it out fully).
    https://bitbucket.org/heinrichsweikamp/osct3_code
    Certainly looks interesting. It has all the right stuff.
    Thank you
    Last edited by nigel hewitt; 18-09-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Rob? Are you there? Your TDF private mailbox has obviously been discovered by your hordes of raving fangirls and is full.
    I'm just trying to reply regards OSTC3 advice.

Established TDF Member Rob Dobson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Inbox now cleared!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast