Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nudi hunting/finding

Does anybody have any useful tips to help with finding Nudibranch in the UK, specifically the south west. I have found a few but I know there are more to find. I have seen loads of egg clusters but not many nudis. So any helpful tips would be appreciated. Do they travel far from their eggs or are the eggs a bit of a red herring as they just lay them then could be a mile away by the next day, ok maybe not a mile but you get the idea. I saw a very large egg cluster at Porthkerris yesterday it must have been 2 or so inches across, biggest I have seen, I searched about 10 feet in all directions but no nudi.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Many nudi's like to eat hydroids and bryozoans. If you do a bit of research and find out which ones are commonly consumed you will know where to start looking. Once you start finding them you'll get better at it. For example polycera quadrilineata likes eating a bryozoan commonly called sea mat which is found growing on kelp as you can see in the photo in this link http://www.oceaneyephoto.com/photo_409850.html . Once you know what they eat those are the best places to start looking.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good staring point. I think I'll get a book. I was looking at the the south west nudi book and I thought possibly a general sea life book for the area, I recon the lady at seasearch cornwall will be able to point me in the right direction

Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    On trick which almost guarantees a sighting of Tritonia nilsodneri is to find a pick sea fan (Eunicella verrucosa) and look for what initiallly appears to be a subtley differently textured and coloured bit of branch. It'll probably be the nudi in question.

Triplefin's right, though, it's mainly a matter of getting your eye in.

One other thing: dive slowly! Most divers I see are buzzing about all over the place and miss all the small inverts.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I tend to dive fairly slow, I searched the sea fans yesterday and I couldn't see any. I took a few sea fan pics in the hope I might see it when I got home! I took the twinset in yesterday for a leisurely 2 hour dive of porthkerris reef, I recon I had a good look around. I think habitat is the key to me improving my strike rate

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've just accidently collected one from a 30m wreck this morning, having carefully searched the hydroid I was sampling to make sure it was clean. Bugger.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer