Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Cylinder Date Stamping and Visual/Hydrostatic tests

Have been speaking to a few of the guys at IDEST/SITA (many thanks Pat/Neil) about date stamping. Apologies all of the below is common knowledge but it became apparent that there were some differing views .

From 2000 until 2012 the year must be stamped as YYYY and the month will always be MM. Therefore the dates between 2000 and 2012 will be YYYY/MM.

From 2013, and because there will never be a month 13 so the year stampings can be abbreviated to YY/MM (13/07 in the case of July 2013). If a test house wish to continue with the full YYYY for the year, this is acceptable.

Visuals and Hydrostatic tests

If a cylinder has missed it's visual (2.5 years from hydro) it CAN have a visual...if all is OK it can then be used for the remaining time since its last hydro. But it MUST have a hydro after 5 years from it last hydro.

ie
    2010 - tank has a hydro
    2012 (end of June) - due date of visual, visual inspection missed.
    Note: Persons should not be filling the tank after this date without insisting on a visual.

2013 - tank is visually inspected and if all is OK* has 2 years of usage (not 2.5) before it's scheduled hydro in 2015
    2015 - next hydro

*IF on visual inspection it needs to be shot blasted it must have a hydro. All subsequent hydrostatic tests would then be from the new date.
    Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is it mandatory to have a valve service on visuals
    Regards
    John
    Padi IDCS #648395/ Tec 50
    Apprentice cave

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good question - I'd maybe speak to Pat and Neil at IDEST/SITA.

Post was originally to clarify (my own) misconceptions - and some testing facilities saying you needed to have a hydro if you missed your vis.
    Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It would be good if this was in writing, without a written IDEST/SITA document, a test house can just say that it's quoting a thread on a web forum. Adding a clarification to the O2 cleaning intervals would also be good, as we are still on 12 months here!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irnbru View Post

Post was originally to clarify (my own) misconceptions - and some testing facilities saying you needed to have a hydro if you missed your vis.
    I missed a visual on my twinset and was told that I must have a hydro so explained that I was there to purchase a visual not a hydro and if they didn't want the business I would go elsewhere, visual was done as requested

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irnbru View Post

Given your location I'm guessing you have had a problem with Pattersons. Mine were overdue a visual by 2 weeks and they insisted on Hydros which they failed. They seem to fail to grasp the concept that the hydro is due every 5 years regardless of the date of the visual. They seem to think that performing a visual after the due date somehow extends the time between hydros. Other IDEST stations just shortened the next due date. Our club have stopped using them for this reason.

I didn't get the chance to argue they were scrapped by the time I found out. To be fair, they would probably failed a visual as well as corrosion was noted on both tanks.

Sharon

Temporary restricted access for site abuse
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfone View Post
    Given your location I'm guessing you have had a problem with Pattersons. Mine were overdue a visual by 2 weeks and they insisted on Hydros which they failed. They seem to fail to grasp the concept that the hydro is due every 5 years regardless of the date of the visual. They seem to think that performing a visual after the due date somehow extends the time between hydros. Other IDEST stations just shortened the next due date. Our club have stopped using them for this reason.

I didn't get the chance to argue they were scrapped by the time I found out. To be fair, they would probably failed a visual as well as corrosion was noted on both tanks.

Sharon
    I'm getting this too from my LDS.
    Cyl has missed Visual inspection date by 2 weeks.
    I want a visual up to the next Hydro date. LDS is insisting on a hydro now.
    Can anyone point me at documentation for the visual/hydro sequencing?

Ron.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Speak to bob at angus diving should be ok.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron MacRae View Post
    I'm getting this too from my LDS.
    Cyl has missed Visual inspection date by 2 weeks.
    I want a visual up to the next Hydro date. LDS is insisting on a hydro now.
    Can anyone point me at documentation for the visual/hydro sequencing?

Ron.
    Hi Ron,

I run a dive shop and we are an Idest test centre. The requirements are for a hydro test every 5 years. The visual test should be done half way between every hydro, but if a cylinder is presented say three years after the hydro then it can have a visual test but that test will only be valid until the next hydro is due which will be 2 years. If it presented four years after a hydro then it can still have a visual test which would be valid for 1 year. Oxygen cleaning period is now every 15 months to fall into line with testing every 2 1/2 years.

The cylinder valve should be serviced at every test.

Dave
    Last edited by Bubblesless; 26-02-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Extra info

Temporary restricted access for site abuse
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblesless View Post
    Hi Ron,

I run a dive shop and we are an Idest test centre. The requirements are for a hydro test every 5 years. The visual test should be done half way between every hydro, but if a cylinder is presented say three years after the hydro then it can have a visual test but that test will only be valid until the next hydro is due which will be 2 years. If it presented four years after a hydro then it can still have a visual test which would be valid for 1 year. Oxygen cleaning period is now every 15 months to fall into line with testing every 2 1/2 years.

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    I know that. However my LDS insists otherwise.

I'd like to find a official document I can quote to them.
    N.B. I have a good relationship with them but they are just following what they've been told by the previous owner.
    If I can provide chapter and verse that they are incorrect then they will likely change their position.

Ron.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast