Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In the end I pulled the trigger and got one of these: http://aee-en.szvi.com/Center/item.aspx?Fid=41&Ftid=584

Specs look good, let's see how it performs at 100m
    "The wages of sin is death, but the hours are good!"

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Yen View Post
    In the end I pulled the trigger and got one of these: http://aee-en.szvi.com/Center/item.aspx?Fid=41&Ftid=584

Specs look good, let's see how it performs at 100m

How much does it sell for?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anywhere between 220 and 300 with the black 100m case. Or if you know someone who needs a rare bit of kit that only you have, nothing ;-)

Where'd The Bubbles Go ....? Capt Morgan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have you had the chance to use it yet ?
    If so what did you think ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No, I haven't even had the time to open it yet and at this pace I won't for another couple of weeks at least, sorry.
    I'll post up a review or at least an update to this thread once I do.

Yen

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I just went through an exhaustive process of comparing the GoPro Hero 4 Silver with the Intova Edge X. I actually bought both, and so you know right up front, I returned both. I was specifically looking for a compact dive video camera and thought these were the two best candidates. If you want to see my personal and honest assessment of each please read on.

GoPro Hero 4:
    If I was just looking for an action POV video camera this would be it. The new engine which enables 2.7k video also means 1080p at 60fps is a snap. Video quality is not great but what do you expect in such a small form factor. I knew going in that I would not get video quality like a Canon G30 or Sony A6000. But I found the Hero 4 Silver to be a whole lot better than the Intova Edge X at pumping out acceptable 1080p at 60fps.
    However I really wanted to use the Hero 4 Silver for SCUBA diving video and it's a very compromised solution for this purpose. The Hero 4 still lacks manual white balance. End of case sorry. Sure you can buy filters but these are, at best, a bandaid solution. Color in water changes constantly as you go deeper and no filter on the market accurately compensates for the loss of reds across all depths. Adjusting color in post increases noise.
    I've created over 100 dive videos. My buddies ask me how I get the colors to pop like they do. I've given them the same answer for 10 years. Manual white balance. If the GoPro 5 comes out with manual white balance I'll buy it.

Intova Edge X:
    I was so excited when I saw the Edge X. It really looked the goods. Rubberized black housing that looked like it could take the rough handling. It has manual white balance! Yes. 1080p at 60fps. Good enough. A no brainer then, or so I thought. Then I saw the quality (or lack of quality) of video it pushed out.
    I'm really not taking sides here as I came into this search wanting to end up with the Intova Edge X. At 1080p 60fps (and 50fps) the Intova footage displayed significant pixelation. It strobed along any angled straight lines. It lacked detail and blurred things like leaves. Horizontal movement caused jello and lots of tearing. Colors were flat. Bottom line: I did not get a single piece of footage that was usable for semi-serious video creation.
    Before you jump down my throat... I was using a SanDisk Class 10 Micro SD card as recommended for both the GoPro and Intova. I took the Intova Edge X back into the shop where I bought it and the owner tested my unit against another Intova Edge X in store. Same result. Quite poor video.

Conclusion:
    Well you know I returned both cameras, so.... The GoPro Hero 4 Silver is good for any purpose other than dive video. The Intova Edge X is set up for dive video but its output quality is far too compromised for my needs. So I will keep searching.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The main issue here is trying to use a compromise tool for a dedicated purpose. Sounds like you need either a dedicated video camera or something like a DSLR which is capable of full HD video at the same time (as well as interchangable lenses, manual settings etc). You're never going to get the same quality results out of any type of camera which you have no or very limited control over.

Gopros are fine within their limits - shallow water, good light diving and they do produce really good quality video within that limitation. But anything outside that you need a proper camera. As for Intovas - yet to see a single product produced by them that hasn't been awful quality and woeful performance wise.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You're absolutely right about needing a dedicated tool not a compromised one. So I revisited earlier plans to house either my Sony a6000 or older NEX-7. Either would do well u/w but the a6000 would be ideal. Trouble is the cost. I got a quote from the Nauticam distributors in Australia for their housing with a port, handle and bits n pieces and it totaled more than AU$3700. That's a heck of a lot of money to take diving.

I will just keep using my old video camera and housing until one or the other completely gives up. The video it churns out is still good quality mainly because I can easily get at manual white balance. But the IS and auto focus are getting long in the tooth. Hopefully one day GoPro will add manual white balance to an otherwise decent package.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM53 View Post
    You're absolutely right about needing a dedicated tool not a compromised one. So I revisited earlier plans to house either my Sony a6000 or older NEX-7. Either would do well u/w but the a6000 would be ideal. Trouble is the cost. I got a quote from the Nauticam distributors in Australia for their housing with a port, handle and bits n pieces and it totaled more than AU$3700. That's a heck of a lot of money to take diving.

I will just keep using my old video camera and housing until one or the other completely gives up. The video it churns out is still good quality mainly because I can easily get at manual white balance. But the IS and auto focus are getting long in the tooth. Hopefully one day GoPro will add manual white balance to an otherwise decent package.
    I can't remember the last time I used custom white balance.

Invest in some decent video lights, and then set manual white balance to match colour temperature of your lamps, you should find the colours PPP even more
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 12-12-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have an Intova HD II and just came back from a dive, trying to mount the camera on my computer and it wont mount. Any advise????? thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast