Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Justin: Just to strap on when I go on a dive and leave it running, could be shallow on a reef or deep in a wreck. Same as people who wear it on a bike: record everything just in case and if anything important/awesome happens during a dive review it and show it to others, otherwise just record over. I'm not into spending hours editing footage, I like to dive.

6f: Thanks for the link. The depth rating makes it interesting if true, but it's kinda chunky with the LCD and I'll have to look it up to see actual tech specs and performance. Its big brother, the HD30W sure looks a lot like the AEE Magicam S70, which I also considered and meant to add to the list. From what I can see it's Chinese or Malaysian-built, but the quality of the S70 rivals the GoPro. A tad more distortion on the edges and audio quality not as good (not a problem for me), and the colours are warmer, which makes it harder to adjust it in post-editing (also not a problem, probably an advantage for U/W) - but rated to a lot deeper than the GoPro - just in case I decide to do a Dave Shaw

At the moment it looks like I'd either get the HD2 and have a cheap and cheerful camera for 100 quid or if I want to splash out and get something higher-end close to the GoPro and deeper-rated for half the money, go for the HD30W/S70. A looming trip to Egypt is pushing me towards the 100m-rated one...

Yen
    Last edited by Dr.Yen; 14-08-2014 at 04:14 PM.
    "The wages of sin is death, but the hours are good!"

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I got a sartek when the gopro 2 came out and was disappointed with the UI and more importantly the low light performance (and that's coupled with a pricey video light). I now have a gopro 3 and it's great. I've shot a wreck in the (gloomy) Bristol Channel at 40 odd m in natural light and it worked a treat

What ever you do don't head mount the resulting footage will induce instant motion sickness

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Where would you mount it? Chest? Hands are no good for me as they're busy adding o2/holding light and was reluctant to head mount as all you'd see is me checking the cells every 30 secs!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have mine on a long arm on my CCR so over my shoulder.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Aaah, that sounds sweet. Was a DIY thingy? Can you post a pic?
    In the meanwhile I found a MagiCam S70 for 215 with 100m flat port case, LCD, remote and a whole bag of accessories Temptation.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You asked for opinions, you got them - I (as are some others) am of the opinion that Intova is shite, based on personal experience. Your experience is different, so if you are happy with Intova go for it.
    I know Stuart (Bottlefish) has a 'fleet' of GoPros, I am sure that if the Intovas were good enough for his needs, he would relish saving 100+ a time on the 17 (I think it is) cameras he has.

If you think the Intova is suitable for your needs, then crack on, by the sounds of it it's not going to be used for anything vaguely 'serious' so ultimate image quality doesn't really matter.
    Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Yen View Post
    Aaah, that sounds sweet. Was a DIY thingy? Can you post a pic?
    In the meanwhile I found a MagiCam S70 for 215 with 100m flat port case, LCD, remote and a whole bag of accessories Temptation.....

I just shoved one of these on...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extension-...item3ce0bbf69a

Well almost. I got a 99p tripod thread to gopro mount form china and screwed that to my case with a 1/4-20 stainless screw as I figured the sticky mount was probably not safe on the yellow case. This bolts a go pro mount on to my case and then I just attache the long arm. I've got a cable tie around the hinge of the case and with a mini stainless shackle. I connect this to a loop of string (cave line) which passes through holes I drilled in the long arm and has a clip on the end which clips to the handle form my CCR case. This way if the mount fails or the arm snaps the camera is still clipped on. And I've still not managed to get any usable footage of the Lundy seals.

This poorly edited video is from an unknown wreck at 43m in the Bristol Channel.

http://www.youtube.com/v/f5JoWx4QoGI...;amp;version=3

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/f5JoWx4QoGI?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/f5JoWx4QoGI?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I want a longer arm so that my head does not feature but it is better than my head mounted stuff form my pervious camera. This is shot in about 12m on my old camera.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjM-4KMgB30

I have needed to upgrade my storage though as a week diving trip was 2 dives a day at 20GB a dive (hour) and the need to edit. Go a HP Proliant server to set up as a NAS whcih is taking longer than expected hence the quick edit on the above video. I'm going to have to be ruthless and delete what I don't use or the storage requirements will be mad.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's a lot of data! I'm not really interested in going over 720p and I always take an ext HDD with me when I travel, so I should be fine.
    And I just realised the S70 is a bit of a fat boy once in the case, whereas the GoPro is hardly bigger... The jury is still out on this one - now size vs depth rating!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by londonsean69 View Post
    You asked for opinions, you got them - I (as are some others) am of the opinion that Intova is shite, based on personal experience. Your experience is different, so if you are happy with Intova go for it.
    I know Stuart (Bottlefish) has a 'fleet' of GoPros, I am sure that if the Intovas were good enough for his needs, he would relish saving 100+ a time on the 17 (I think it is) cameras he has.

If you think the Intova is suitable for your needs, then crack on, by the sounds of it it's not going to be used for anything vaguely 'serious' so ultimate image quality doesn't really matter.
    Well, as my name's been brought in

We have 12 GoPros at the mo, a mixture of hero 2 and Hero 3 Blacks. They've been used in a huge variety of applications and have always held their ground.

Just for the fun of it, here's one of the more recent things we were involved with.

We did have a big issue with a hero 2 firmware release that bricked half out cameras, but that was dealt with quickly and without fuss by GoPro.

I've had a handful of unsavoury brushes with Intova cameras, on every occasion I have found them to be poorly designed, unreliable, with incredibly poor colour rendition and compression implementation. That was with their stills cameras, whilst running underwater photography workshops, but based on that, you would have to pay me before i considered wasting any time looking at their action cam.

But that's just my opinion
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Fair enough. I've heard their still cameras aren't great, but for $70 what do you expect? The original Sport HDs also left much to be desired, so much so that they stopped mid-run and brought out the HD II, which according to reviews was another planet. I'm still approaching this with an open mind, and if I find a sub 180 H3+B I'll probably grab it, though at that price they get snapped up really fast.

Yen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast