Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    I think even for the Pros that goes on forever.
    So I'm discovering!

Natural light I'm finding technically relatively easy but you need, in the UK, to push the ISO. At 1600 the 50D is fine. Above this and it gets noisy. The newer Nikons and Sonys have ridiculous ISO but they're bloody expensive. I've managed to get the DSLR housing, strobes, body and lens for about a grand. And if it floods I won't overly cry. Bloody strobes are a ball ache. Still. Seems to be working. Mind you 30m viz helps...

Natural light, ISO 1600

With strobes

1m viz

A very fat man being a bell end
    Last edited by Woz; 15-09-2015 at 03:34 PM.
    Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Like the "With Strobes " shot. Appropriately lit, face near enough that it is a reasonable colour. Good composition. Do you post process? Sharpening and contrast adjustment benefit many U/W pics. The two pale dots on the first pic are most likely bubbles on front of dome (or possibly something on inside. Bubbles worth a brush off each time underwater and avoid getting oring grease on dome even small amounts aid formation of bubbles.
    Just finished a week on the northern Red Sea wrecks, only 3 tied boats on Thistlegorm as apposed to 23 last time I was there.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h0iztv2xn...qIUBstDwa?dl=0
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 16-09-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The "with strobes" shot is pretty much straight off the camera with no processing as I only had my little netbook to fiddle with them while at sea.

The pale dots are defs bubbles on the dome as I'd been above him taking shots straight down being washed by his exhaust bubbles. Normally I wipe them off with my glove but forgot this time. I have a couple of other shots that look like they have bubbles on them but they're urchins on a dark rock in the distance!

The first 2 above and this one were taken on Nun Rock off Cape Wrath. Which interestingly, according to my chart, is in international waters. Bob reckons only 2 boats have ever dropped divers off on it and he's one of them. You don't get to do dives like that every day!

Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    How do I begin to get the best out of it? A 300 page manual is all well and good but doesn't help explain what all the bewildering amount of settings actually do.
    There are only four settings on a camera

- the aperture, or F stop
    - the shutter speed
    - the ISO
    - the colour/white balance setting

All of those other confusing settings you see on the camera are short cuts to set some or all of the above to what a clever man in a lab in Japan decided a few years ago would be correct for the scene you're currently looking at.

Learn what those four settings do, and you can ignore all the crap and make the decisions for yourself.

I'd recommend Martin Edge's book, it's well laid out and sensibly staged to teach you the basics of photography first (as above) before attempting to teach you techniques.

http://www.edgeunderwaterphotography.com

A video camera does nothing more than stitch together a number of stills in very quick succession, the laws of physics are exactly the same as are the camera settings... So ignore that for now and just focus on stills.
    Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 18-09-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member Decosnapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    All of those other confusing settings you see on the camera are short cuts to set some or all of the above to what a clever man in a lab in Japan decided a few years ago would be correct for the scene you're currently looking at.
    Amen to that. Forget the software engineer...learn to make the camera do what you imagine. Not what someone else thinks you imagine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123