Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Booster pumps

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Nigel, thanks I had a look at your link and get the jist tho maths was never my strong point at school (history was always my forte ☺) so alot of the equations kinda went over my head! What I'm wondering, in layman terms (or dumbed down lol!) Is can the stansted DTB5C be run from a couple of 15s? I don't have my own compressor but do have access to one which I could use to fill the 15s so I could then run the booster at home rather than having to run back and forward to the compressor (round trip of approx 70 miles). Alternatively if run off a LP compressor, what sort of size would be required? And also someone had mentioned a water separator, could this be explained further please?
    Cheers

Closed Account: User Requested nickb's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    Is can the stansted DTB5C be run from a couple of 15s? I don't have my own compressor but do have access to one which I could use to fill the 15s so I could then run the booster at home rather than having to run back and forward to the compressor (round trip of approx 70 miles). Alternatively if run off a LP compressor, what sort of size would be required? And also someone had mentioned a water separator, could this be explained further please?
    Cheers
    I drive my mini Haskel from bottled air. In my case from a 1/2 J but any source is fine.

This is preferable to running it from a LP compressor as I know the air is dry and filtered. No need for water traps etc.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is can the stansted DTB5C be run from a couple of 15s?
    Just to do top-offs for a CCCR I'd say it was fine.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cheers for the replies guys!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    so I could then run the booster at home rather than having to run back and forward to the compressor (round trip of approx 70 miles). Alternatively if run off a LP compressor, what sort of size would be required? And also someone had mentioned a water separator, could this be explained further please?
    Cheers
    Air driven booster pumps use a considerable amount of low pressure 10 bar "drive air" to operate"
    Good luck getting a 10 bar LP continuous rated compressor cheap, most use lower 6 to 8 bar and suffer a further reduction in the already limited booster pumps performance

But no one tells you how much flow? Go figure.

You should first ask each manufacturer for the drive air consumption graph for the model your interested in before committing to buy one. Then you can ascertain the LP compressor size or the time your twin 15's will last

Tell them that no graph no buy.

By example offshore we have tons of LP air freely available so a typical small oxygen booster like the one illustrated the Haskel AGT 15/30 uses around 70 cubic foot of drive air a minute full bore.

That is at the lowest oxygen supply pressure while boosting to the highest discharge pressure

So your intended twin 15's would last a tad under 3 minutes. Happy now I guess you know now why they are reluctant with the air drive required.

The alternative is either you run a low pressure air compressor as a drive air compressor or you buy an incy wincy toytown booster and wait all day for the thing to do something approaching work filling.

That or the supply gas (oxygen) has to be at so high a pressure to begin with that the booster is almost as useful as a snow flake in a glass for a thirsty camel.

The reason for a water separator is only for when using LP air from a LP air compressor to drive the thing from ambient. Under pressure ambient air will condense water vapour from the atmosphere into moisture droplets, Like clouds do with rain. Inside a metal booster this water rusts up the components and freezes up the thing.

When using HP breathing air the dewpoint is so low (-60 C) that condensation is impossible but the runing cost huge and the usable drive life a joke.

As for pricing small sports boosters are very expensive for so little when compared to a proper booster or compressor further do a few fills and they need a rebuild new piston seal, so also ask for a spare price list while your at it as well as the air consumption graph

A proper booster pump has safety relief valves, pressure gauges, safety auto stop, micronic filtration yada yada, with the sport toytown models you get in effect a bare block and pay 1500 for a 500 part

Cost being relative, I wont bore you with details but know two thing before you buy.

1. The amount of drive air it uses (in a graph) especially at low oxygen inlet pressures

2. The spares parts price list with an additional costing on who will do the service. Iain

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a crappy old death trap UnderPresure Diving booster but surprisingly it been pumping my 3ltr tanks using trimix and pure 02 to 260 bar for a decade without any issues

I also use it to top my 7 ltr and 10 ltr bailouts from 235 bar up to 250bar+ I toped a 10ltr to 280 bar for a 90m dive once or twice

I use a J for drive gas and I fill the J from my compressor

I usede to use a 10PSI electric pump and finish off with a J but after burning out two I stoped bothering

Last edited by Mark Chase; 08-10-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    I have a crappy old death trap UnderPresure Diving booster...

I use a J for drive gas and I fill the J from my compressor
    I got shot of mine, as I didn't have a compressor & had to keep treking over to my LDS to get a 15L cylinder filled with air to drive it, so more hassle than it was worth.

(On rare occasions I with I still had it, but can borrow one if needed)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPTaylor View Post
    I got shot of mine, as I didn't have a compressor & had to keep treking over to my LDS to get a 15L cylinder filled with air to drive it, so more hassle than it was worth.

(On rare occasions I with I still had it, but can borrow one if needed)

In that case you should have just baught a 10bar electric drive pump. It worked fine to about 200bar but was strugling to keep up after that

Cant remember how much but not expensive and lasterd about 3-4 years with other work thrown in as well. I never looked after it or changed the oil and just binned them when they stoped working

Last edited by Mark Chase; 16-10-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Seeing as I now have a unit, I'm following this thread with interest. Handily I have a mahoosive 3 phase compressor here at work with a receiver that is big enough to stand in so drive air isn't an problem. Neither is oodles of lovely industrial O2.

I suppose used boosters are like hen's teeth?
    Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

Closed Account: User Requested nickb's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    I suppose used boosters are like hen's teeth?
    Brocky was selling a Jetsam booster with whips recently (on behalf of somebody else). Dunno if he's found a buyer yet.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast