Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Booster pumps

On YD again
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Booster pumps

They joy of booster pump fittings every thing you where afraid to ask:

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll start then

My booster is screwed to the wall and attached to my mixing panel via 316 stainless double ferrule compression fittings 1/4inch like these ones here

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/163.asp

Each fitting was disassembled and cleaned in citric acid in a ultrasonic bath, before clean hot water rinse.

If you are going to use these fittings, they take some compressing and I had a number of leaks at first, so its a good idea to leak test with He, before you start pumping away with O2.

On the outlet of the pump, I used more pipe work than was necessary to provide a larger area for gas to cool, before entering the filling hose.

If I was going to do this again I would go to the effort of making a coiling coil between the pump outlet and the hose, as pumping a pair of twin 12's and four stages it can get a bit warmer than I am comfortable with.

If I wanted a portable unit, I would use the m/f DIN connectors that where supplied with the unit by Stansted.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Duncan,

Which booster do you have and are you happy with it?

Janos
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
    Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
    My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This one http://www.gasbooster.co.uk/DTB5C.html

I have no problems with it, well actually I had one problem, when I decided I would try to strip and clean the HP piston which was not a good idea.

However I can say that Stansted Fluid were excellent, when I arrived with a bag of bits and a very sheepish expression. They fixed it while I waited, amazing customer service.

I dive OC and it is a little slow when pumping twin 12's, especially when getting to the bottom of the J, but with a little patience and a spare set of twin 7's I can get my J's down to about 20bar before they go back.

Topping off 2 x twin 12's, plus 2x Al80's, both with mix, plus 2 x 7's of 80% takes me a whole evening, but I can live with that for the convenience and cost saving of mixing at home.

When I have filled for CCR mates, then its pretty quick.

I think I paid around 1500 brand new as a portable package with din hose's etc, and for the money its spot on, and like I mentioned Stansted's customer service is excellent.

Its well worth fitting a water separator on the drive gas, if you use a LP compressor to drive it as it saves a lot of cleaning and re-lubing of the air motor.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMW View Post
    They joy of booster pump fittings every thing you where afraid to ask:
    Yes Andrew.

The Stansted pump. Notice the following:

1. It has a CE mark

2. It uses standard safe DIN connections

3. It uses 316 Stainless steel fittings (not soft brass quick connects)

4. Spares readily available from UK

5. Servicing readily available from UK

Now for comparison you want to go on? Iain

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's the same pump I have :-)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    http://www.gasbooster.co.uk/dtb10c.html#.U93uVVYVTlI

I have that one, and am very pleased with it too. I would have sold my CCR if I did not have a booster. I have used the smaller version the DTB5 and it was excellent too. If you have a CCR it makes every thing jus that much easier.
    In remission from Anorexia

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm seriously considering buying myself a booster primarily for my 3l CCR cylinders but occasionally 11l bailouts. I would plan to run it off 15l and was wondering what the stansted ones are like on drive gas? I have a mate that has an MPS booster and its very hungry on the drive gas! I'm just wondering about the logistics when it comes to running it. Cheers.

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    I'm seriously considering buying myself a booster primarily for my 3l CCR cylinders but occasionally 11l bailouts. I would plan to run it off 15l and was wondering what the stansted ones are like on drive gas? I have a mate that has an MPS booster and its very hungry on the drive gas! I'm just wondering about the logistics when it comes to running it. Cheers.
    they use a lot or drive gas, especially if you are pumping to high pressures. I run mine of a 15l cylinder but you can run them off workshop compressors - would not take long to recover the ?100 on a shop compressor to cover the cost of drive gas fills.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    All single acting boosters use the same amount of drive gas to do the same job.
    The design of the pump cancels out in the maths.

They use lots of gas because they require lots of power. The forces involved are huge.
    Last edited by nigel hewitt; 03-04-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast