Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cape Verde - worth a visit?

Hi, anyone been? If so any pointers? Best time of year to go?

Be grateful for any info people can impart.

Thanks

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Did think about it for sept - but too unpredictable winds at that time of year messing with the sea, such that we were told probably we'd be able to swim in the sea 3d out of 10d...as we wanted a beach/snorkelling place we vetoed it. I think GLOC knows a bit about it...
    Really do want to visit sometime, parts of it look beautiful. I was inspired by this
    Im Burrows
    www.divedir.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not my comments but those of SWMBO. If you like Chav watching and fec all else then its the place for you.
    I've looked at the dive vids on tube and thought it looked OK. SWMBO is cabin crew and travels all the time so I take her word. Its not a place she wants to take me.
    Its apparently up and coming with a lot more coming needed.

HTH.
    Craig..

People who look good in a mask are usually ugly without one.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    Hi, anyone been? If so any pointers? Best time of year to go?

Be grateful for any info people can impart.

Thanks
    Yeah, unlike everyone else replying, I've actually been.

I liked it. There isn't a lot in Sal, but it's OK. A few bars and restaurants. There's one big hotel on Sal, the Riu, I think. I stayed in a smaller one in town that I found on Travel Republic. There was quite a lot of building work but that was a few years ago.

There are a couple of wrecks and there's a couple of cavern dives in the north that are well worth doing. There are reefs, though they're mostly rocky. There's not a huge amount of corals, but there are some. There are also quite a few endemic fish species there that you won't see anywhere else.

I like spaghetti and meatballs gordyp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
    Yeah, unlike everyone else replying, I've actually been.

I liked it. There isn't a lot in Sal, but it's OK. A few bars and restaurants. There's one big hotel on Sal, the Riu, I think. I stayed in a smaller one in town that I found on Travel Republic. There was quite a lot of building work but that was a few years ago.

There are a couple of wrecks and there's a couple of cavern dives in the north that are well worth doing. There are reefs, though they're mostly rocky. There's not a huge amount of corals, but there are some. There are also quite a few endemic fish species there that you won't see anywhere else.
    Agree with the above.

The big all inclusive looked to be chavtastic, we stayed in a small hotel in town. Good bars and restaurants, very good fish which you see getting landed at the pier every day. I thought the diving was good, saw plenty of sharks and a couple of huge turtles.

Also good for windsurfing and kite surfing.

I'd go back but to a different island in the chain, can't remember the name of it now but there's one which is more mountainous and lush which looked nice.
    I stink, therefore I am.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordyp View Post
    I'd go back but to a different island in the chain, can't remember the name of it now but there's one which is more mountainous and lush which looked nice.
    Boa Vista? Yeah, I liked the look of that too. There are now direct flights and there's at least one dive school last I looked.

I like spaghetti and meatballs gordyp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
    Boa Vista? Yeah, I liked the look of that too. There are now direct flights and there's at least one dive school last I looked.
    That's the one, looked like there could be some decent day treks. Might look at that for later in the year.
    I stink, therefore I am.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the responses, as ever I am planning holidays and looking at possible destinations - if I could just win the lottery and retire I could do them all

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My wife and I took a short break in Sal for a week 2 years ago. The Diving is "ok". It's the Atlantic so rocky outcrops rather than coral, viz like a good day in the Channel, shiny fish rather than colourful. I went there for a break rather than for the diving and the dives I did were for the sake of going underwater rather than as a dive destination. If you go with those expectations you will enjoy it. The DM however had spent 2 years at Boa Vista and he told stories of 20+ bull sharks on a single dive. I remember it most for lifting a panicking holiday diver from 25m while the DM was asleep and the Shiny computer I won for getting letter of the month for recounting the tale in Dive magazine. I flogged the Suunto on eBay and bought an OSTC with the proceeds:-)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast