Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 725 of 756 FirstFirst ... 225625675715723724725726727735 ... LastLast
Results 7,241 to 7,250 of 7557
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Not sure the manatee would have agreed he was being 'rescued'
    Seemed like he was having a whale of a time…

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    Seemed like he was having a whale of a time…
    He did it on porpoise.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Fatal Shark attack in the Bahamas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62823655

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Was "watching" that today... max 40m depth and Bühlmann deco algorithm, not a bad starter computer if it works well enough.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    I don't get all these fancy watches like this and Garmins, etc. They give you a ton of data. And? What are you supposed to do with it? I've dived and climbed all of my adult life, I do a lot of other sports and I train every day. There's not a single piece of data other than the time that isn't either a. irrelevant but interesting to know occasionally (but then I'd probably stop caring after 2 or 3 times) or b. is important but I'd get from something else without needing to rely on a ridiculously expensive watch for (like my location from a map). It's like knowing the temperature, I'm either hot or cold. Knowing the number doesn't matter. The dive computer function is interesting but is it the right tool for the job?

That said, I'm sure it'll sell millions.
    Last edited by notdeadyet; 07-09-2022 at 09:05 PM.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    I don't get all these fancy watches like this and Garmins, etc. They give you a ton of data. And? What are you supposed to do with it? I've dived and climbed all of my adult life, I do a lot of other sports and I train every day. There's not a single piece of data other than the time that isn't either a. irrelevant but interesting to know occasionally (but then I'd probably stop caring after 2 or 3 times) or b. is important but I'd get from something else without needing to rely on a ridiculously expensive watch for (like my location from a map). It's like knowing the temperature, I'm either hot or cold. Knowing the number doesn't matter. The dive computer function is interesting but is it the right tool for the job?

You say all that but the watch is a useful device as it allows you to suss out who is a mug without the need to talk to them.
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    You say all that but the watch is a useful device as it allows you to suss out who is a mug without the need to talk to them.
    Possibly the greatest function of any smart watch

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post

Is it the right tool for the job?
    It may be for some people. If you have bought into the apple system, your diving works within its limits, you use the other health/fitness systems it offers, you use Apple Pay etc, you wear a watch to tell the time.
    For most people though. Individual tools are probably better.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    I think Sheck Exley mentioned that in his autobiography. Although in his day it was people with overblown divewatches while he famously used $20 Timex watches to time his record dives. It led to the classic line: "I've done deco deeper than you've dived" after getting into a "discussion" with a proud owner of a ridiculously expensive watch. I don't know how much this Apple watch costs but I'd guess it was close to four figures. For a 40m no deco computer I'd certainly have a laugh at the owner's expense.

I think it's great that the technology exists and there is no doubt that it is useful to some. The pedometer functions are great because it gets people active who maybe wouldn't have been as it game-ifies activity. But most of the metrics it gives you, it just leaves me scratching my head for a use. I would stake cash money on there being people stupid enough to freeze to death because the thermometer reading didn't say it was bad enough to put a coat on. A ton of useless data is no better than no data.
    Last edited by notdeadyet; 08-09-2022 at 07:10 AM.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England