Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 713 of 756 FirstFirst ... 213613663703711712713714715723 ... LastLast
Results 7,121 to 7,130 of 7555
    I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    More years ago than I care to admit I was riding my little motorcycle along the road, following a copper on his BMW. He saw an old lady waiting to cross the road, gave a slowing down signal and stopped for her. I checked my mirrors, gave a slowing down signal (mainly to show off to the policeman) and stopped. A couple of moments later my motorcycle was hit from behind.

The bike policeman (known now as P1) pulled over and I picked my bike up and pulled it to the side of the road, and the driver who’d knocked my bike out from under me pulled over too. P1 sighed and said that, as he had in some way been responsible for the accident he’d have to call his sergeant (S) out to deal with it all. In due course S arrived, with another bike cop in tow.

I heard S ask P1 what had happened, who described the mishap as I’ve just described it. S then asked me my version of events, which I told. He then asked aged driver (AG) who’d hit me what had happened:

AG “He stopped so suddenly.”
    S “You should have been further back.”
    AG “I didn’t need to be, we were going so slowly.”
    S “So why did you hit him?”
    S “So you should have been further back.”
    AG “I didn’t need to be, we were going so slowly.”
    S <exasperated> “So why did you hit him?”

This went round another loop before:

S “My colleague and the motorcyclist each said they’d given a slowing down signal.”
    AG “I didn’t see any signal.”
    S “Can you read the registration of that car over there?”
    AG “What car?”
    S “Can you read that (much closer) plate?”
    AG “No…”
    S “It appears that your sight is not up to the required standard to drive.”
    AG “Well, my normal glasses are being repaired and my spare pair is uncomfortable, so I don’t wear them when driving.”

At this point P1, who’d been listening with P2, put his head in his hands.

As far as I’m aware AG suffered no sanctions, though I did have to threaten to sue her for the paltry hundred pounds or so that it cost to repair my bike. Mind you, it was the eighties…
    Happy to be a woke* feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

* Had to add woke; couldn't resist.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62081380

Did anyone else notice that the <insert derogatory term of choice> did not actually say he was resigning?
    Yes. Weasel words only.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    But she got from Manchester to Suffolk, obviously the vision requirement is grossly excessive. N=1.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    But she got from Manchester to Suffolk, obviously the vision requirement is grossly excessive. N=1.
    Many moons ago, went to the opticians because I was getting closer to the road signs at night before I could read them. I was shown the numberplate screen. I could easily read this without correction. Nowadays no chance without my glasses. I wouldn’t want to drive if I could only borderline read the numberplate.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    As far as I’m aware AG suffered no sanctions, though I did have to threaten to sue her for the paltry hundred pounds or so that it cost to repair my bike. Mind you, it was the eighties…
    Much as I dislike them the ambulance chaser lawyers would (now) love this. The bike repairs plus a rental bike while it was being repaired, new clothes for the ones that were damaged plus compensation for the stress and distress. Really, by any measure she owed you a couple of grand. The annoyance (for me anyway) is that the insurance would have paid when in truth the insurance company should have said she was not covered as she was not wearing glasses (the US system works that way).

The coppers then should have charged her with driving without due care and attention and her licence revoked until she passed another test.

Sadly all that happens is I now have a vision of you waving your arm like the bloke on the gin advert.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Many moons ago, went to the opticians because I was getting closer to the road signs at night before I could read them. I was shown the numberplate screen. I could easily read this without correction. Nowadays no chance without my glasses. I wouldn’t want to drive if I could only borderline read the numberplate.
    Lorry drivers have a proper eye test and medical. Should be for all drivers IMHO.

Dammit man it is Saturday morning and you have set me off on one
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Much as I dislike them the ambulance chaser lawyers would (now) love this. The bike repairs plus a rental bike while it was being repaired, new clothes for the ones that were damaged plus compensation for the stress and distress. Really, by any measure she owed you a couple of grand. The annoyance (for me anyway) is that the insurance would have paid when in truth the insurance company should have said she was not covered as she was not wearing glasses (the US system works that way).

The coppers then should have charged her with driving without due care and attention and her licence revoked until she passed another test.

Sadly all that happens is I now have a vision of you waving your arm like the bloke on the gin advert.
    If he was uninsured then the personal injury claim would have been paid by Motor Insurers Bureau (i.e. by a levy on everyone who has a policy). In other news it would also pay out if you were injured by some scroat on one of those e-scooters or an e-bike but not for a non-motorised bike.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    If he was uninsured then the personal injury claim would have been paid by Motor Insurers Bureau (i.e. by a levy on everyone who has a policy). In other news it would also pay out if you were injured by some scroat on one of those e-scooters or an e-bike but not for a non-motorised bike.
    MIB payout?, we had a van written off by an un-insured driver, MIB took north of three years to payout on it.
    Last edited by jamesp; 10-07-2022 at 12:45 PM. Reason: UN!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Back in the 80's, I was working at RAF Hospital Ely where we treated locals as well as members of all services. One of my elderly local patients who was registred blind was due to be discharged home. When I asked him how he was getting home, who was picking him up etc, he completely floored me by saying that he was driving himself home! On challenging him on the stupidity of him driving, he said that all the locals knew him and kept out of his way and besides that he never went over 40MPH.