Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 686 of 719 FirstFirst ... 186586636676684685686687688696 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,860 of 7187
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    40k a year and not a pot to piss in .
    It's called keeping up with the Jones. Feekwit s.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    A 40k salary is more than decent in the UK, more than most people are paid even in a lot of the professions. If you can't run a household on that then there is something seriously wrong. So we should pay for her financial mismanagement? Where do you draw the line? Do you just keep upping their salary the more debts and outgoings they run up?

If financial hardship does make someone vulnerable, and the taxpayer is footing the bill, then it seems fair that getting into unaffordable debt should be considered misconduct. As she says herself, maybe she should be doing something else.
    That converts to around €47k in real money. It is about the average industrial wage here but you would not be able to buy a house for it here. It would allow you a mortgage of €165k which you would really really struggle to buy a house with anywhere that you might want to live.

Mind you, a copper here is probably on a similar base salary but would expect to get another 10k a year in overtime and allowances.

We have lads on less than half that and wonder why we have a retention crisis
    Last edited by Paulo; 18-05-2022 at 10:36 PM.
    JJ wanker

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    That converts to around €47k in real money. It is about the average industrial wage here but you would not be able to buy a house for it here. It would allow you a mortgage of €165k which you would really really struggle to buy a house with anywhere that you might want to live.
    She's not there, though, she's here and 40k p.a. is a decent salary, especially in north Wales. I doubt many of her neighbors will be on that.

The plod are also one of the few occupations where you know in advance how much you're earning at every stage of your career before you even go into it. Try doing that in the private sector. If you can't plan ahead knowing what your earning potential is for every year ahead for your entire career then maybe flipping burgers is for her.

I've not got much sympathy. I know plenty of people raising a family on half of that, no pensions and no job security. Yeah, it's a thankless job but so is wiping arses in a care home. You know what you are getting into before you get into it, shut the fuck up and either do it or do something else. I think public patience is going to wear thin for people like this over the next few months/years.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    She's not there, though, she's here and 40k p.a. is a decent salary, especially in north Wales. I doubt many of her neighbors will be on that.

The plod are also one of the few occupations where you know in advance how much you're earning at every stage of your career before you even go into it. Try doing that in the private sector. If you can't plan ahead knowing what your earning potential is for every year ahead for your entire career then maybe flipping burgers is for her.

I've not got much sympathy. I know plenty of people raising a family on half of that, no pensions and no job security. Yeah, it's a thankless job but so is wiping arses in a care home. You know what you are getting into before you get into it, shut the fuck up and either do it or do something else. I think public patience is going to wear thin for people like this over the next few months/years.
    In my OP, the second link is to the north wales police federation pay and conditions.
    It lists the pay points for constable, sergeant and inspector ranks; interesting reading, when you consider that constable has minimal entry qualifications.

A friend of mine from school/college went into the police after we both screwed our A levels, he out earnt me his entire career until he retired at fifty, as a basic constable.
    I did a four year apprenticeship, HND, Degree, PgC, and a shed load of C&g and vocational courses, lived in a smaller house, took fewer holidays; and will still be working at 70 unless I am dead.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    In my OP, the second link is to the north wales police federation pay and conditions.
    It lists the pay points for constable, sergeant and inspector ranks; interesting reading, when you consider that constable has minimal entry qualifications.

A friend of mine from school/college went into the police after we both screwed our A levels, he out earnt me his entire career until he retired at fifty, as a basic constable.
    I did a four year apprenticeship, HND, Degree, PgC, and a shed load of C&g and vocational courses, lived in a smaller house, took fewer holidays; and will still be working at 70 unless I am dead.
    I'll never forget the local community PC coming to do a recruitment talk at our scout troop when I was a teenager. Deep in his 50's, boozer's face, about 17 stone and a gut that arrived 10 minutes before he did. All he talked about was how much he earned, how much time off he got, guaranteed overtime, the subsidised mortgages and housing they got at the time, the humungus pension he was about to collect. Barely mentioned what he did. Quite a few of my friends joined on the basis of that alone. They're now retired in their 40's, mortgage paid and fuck all to do but day drink and read the Express and whinge about modern life.

When I was at uni Strathclyde police introduced a fastrack degree programme when I was there. I was seriously considering transferring for a while, especially when I looked at the career path and thought WTF am I studying engineering for?
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    But you have done something constructive and useful with your life.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How on earth did she think she was going to get a sheep back down............
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    How on earth did she think she was going to get a sheep back down............
    Using a rope and a baa-lay.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61505857

So between a flock of Penguins, a herd of concrete cows and 100,00 alcoholics clinging to a rock; we now have something in common.

I cant even be bothered laughing at this one.

And the BBC have edited the article, to remove the previous name of the company based in Wrexham, that was sold to Solvay ~ three years ago.