Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 677 of 731 FirstFirst ... 177577627667675676677678679687727 ... LastLast
Results 6,761 to 6,770 of 7309
  1. #6761
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    9,501
    Likes (Given)
    984
    Likes (Received)
    4162
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Poisoned or ate a poisoned rat… the former makes the news the latter is probably more likely
    Given the large number of raptors in Dorset and that you pretty much never ever see one dead through eating contaminated carrion and this one particular bird somehow is the most unlucky animal in history I think the former is much, much, much more likley. Wildlife crime is very common here and virtually never any policing.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

  2. #6762
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Posts
    4,170
    Likes (Given)
    1412
    Likes (Received)
    1903
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Given the large number of raptors in Dorset and that you pretty much never ever see one dead through eating contaminated carrion and this one particular bird somehow is the most unlucky animal in history I think the former is much, much, much more likley. Wildlife crime is very common here and virtually never any policing.
    On fhe other hand, THIS could not be accidental/negligence
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-60914251
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

  3. #6763
    Pedantic Pig Divemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    6,774
    Likes (Given)
    9123
    Likes (Received)
    4526
    I think Mr Syson doesn't understand what bees do either
    "I think a lot of people don't understand the process of what the bees actually do in pollinating all our crops, especially flowers and crops that rely on seeds, things like sweetcorn," he said.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

  4. #6764
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    3,891
    Likes (Given)
    1021
    Likes (Received)
    1896
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yes, sweetcorn is wind pollinated, not by bees.

  5. #6765
    Octopus Ink Team gpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Newport S.Wales & Rhodes Greece
    Posts
    3,081
    Likes (Given)
    2434
    Likes (Received)
    1378
    Just checked the date, it's still Wednesday the 30th. . . . . . .

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60927032
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

  6. #6766
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Posts
    4,170
    Likes (Given)
    1412
    Likes (Received)
    1903
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Yes, sweetcorn is wind pollinated, not by bees.
    But aren't the bees at least partly responsible for displacing the pollen to be picked up by the wind?
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

  7. #6767
    Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Room 531
    Posts
    7,660
    Likes (Given)
    1783
    Likes (Received)
    5902
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I think Mr Syson doesn't understand what bees do either
    "I think a lot of people don't understand the process of what the bees actually do in pollinating all our crops, especially flowers and crops that rely on seeds, things like sweetcorn," he said.
    I'll hazard a guess that there's a maize farm not a million miles away and if there is then relations aren't cordial.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

  8. #6768
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    3,891
    Likes (Given)
    1021
    Likes (Received)
    1896
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    But aren't the bees at least partly responsible for displacing the pollen to be picked up by the wind?
    Sweetcorn is normally planted fairly close together in a block rather than rows and the pollen from the male flowers blows on to surrounding plants. As far as I know, bees don;t play a significant part in it unlike most other 'fruiting' vegetable palnts such as peas and beans. Of course, fruit depends heavily on bees.

  9. #6769
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Belper, Europe
    Posts
    3,633
    Likes (Given)
    2419
    Likes (Received)
    2293
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    I'll hazard a guess that there's a maize farm not a million miles away and if there is then relations aren't cordial.
    I don't understand the problem with bees and maize - do that they cause any damage - I'm not doubting you just don't understand the link.
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

  10. #6770
    Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Room 531
    Posts
    7,660
    Likes (Given)
    1783
    Likes (Received)
    5902
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    I don't understand the problem with bees and maize - do that they cause any damage - I'm not doubting you just don't understand the link.
    I've no idea, I'm just going by him singling out "sweetcorn" in his statement. Seems a strange crop to mention unless maybe there was maize being farmed nearby. It sounded like it could've been meant as a bit of a dig at anyone farming that particular crop.
    Last edited by notdeadyet; 31-03-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •