Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 665 of 756 FirstFirst ... 165565615655663664665666667675715 ... LastLast
Results 6,641 to 6,650 of 7557
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A whole new definition to "fast food"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Not all that surprised seeing how the Deliveroo etc. riders around here ride. Apparently the highways code doesn't apply to those delivering take-aways and it is a requirement to cylce as the crow flies regardless of those pesky signs and road markings. Don't look, don't stop and use the force.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Not all that surprised seeing how the Deliveroo etc. riders around here ride. Apparently the highways code doesn't apply to those delivering take-aways and it is a requirement to cylce as the crow flies regardless of those pesky signs and road markings. Don't look, don't stop and use the force.
    And I'm given to believe the food still arrives cold.
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gpj View Post
    And I'm given to believe the food still arrives cold.
    No idea; never used them. They probably have the same scheduling as some of the couriers: assumes they ride at 15mph at all times and deliveries take 30s; now get going - you have a timetable to keep for your 50p an hour.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Tbf on the M6 around brum a bike would be faster than a car, most of the time.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    PADI Dive master [sic]? Or has the author just not bothered digging too deeply?
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ridiculous and dangerous behaviour for a dive instructor (irrespective of what agency).

Every diver (no matter what level of training) should be aware that the "safety stop" is a recommendation, so long as there is no deco component, and not mandatory however, from my experience, it seems like a lot of divers have been taught that it must be done even in an emergency situation.

In any emergency situation, the priority should be to make it to the surface asap (within safe ascent rates if possible). I would class the situation here as having reached emergency level once the trainee had not only breathed his own tank down but also getting into issues on the divemaster(buddy) and instructor's tanks. There was plenty of air waiting only a few feet away so there was no reason that they shouldn't have made it to it as far as I can tell.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    PADI Dive master [sic]? Or has the author just not bothered digging too deeply?
    I think that is just laziness from the journo's point of view (not clarifying the correct terminology for who was doing what on the dive) - he is mentioned as an instructor (of 10 years experience) further down the article

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    I think that is just laziness from the journo's point of view (not clarifying the correct terminology for who was doing what on the dive) - he is mentioned as an instructor (of 10 years experience) further down the article
    That's what I thought. I googled him and that's the case. Master Instructor. Oh well, they got some of the words right. I often wonder if journalists get into it expecting to be Kate Adie and just bad luck/lack of talent gets them to this level or if churning out crap copy for an outlet nobody reads is what they always wanted to be doing.

Anyway, as the old saying goes: you can cure bent, not drowned. It sounds entirely avoidable. Very sad for the victim and his family that some very poor decision making by others led to his death.

I would class the situation here as having reached emergency level once the trainee had not only breathed his own tank down
    I'd go further and say when they realised his air was "significantly below" where it should have been would've been time to start questioning the wisdom of continuing with the exercises on the dive.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England