Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 608 of 623 FirstFirst ... 108508558598606607608609610618 ... LastLast
Results 6,071 to 6,080 of 6225
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Our club meeting for a d rink on Wednesday evening was somewaht disrupted by this incident. We meet at Bedford Rowing club which is just yards away from where this was found. As a result, the bar manager was unable to get the real ale raedy and we had to drink bottled beer for the first round.

https://www.bedfordindependent.co.uk...er-great-ouse/

A guy was magnet fishing and pulled up a mortar bomb. This was in the area where our Club was due to do the annual river clearance last year (cancelled due to Covid) so there is a fair chance that we would have come across it!
    Good job it didn’t go off as that could have really disturbed the barrel and stirred up the sediment.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It would appear that the BBC have found out that cannon balls can be “live”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-57878969

Perhaps live cannon balls are a specialty of Antigua.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post

We found (many years ago) live Canon Balls in Plymouth. Iron balls which were filled with gunpowder so, when fired, they would go "bang" while airborne and cause shrapnel damage. Some didn't go off when fired so were on the seabed still full of gunpowder behind a wooden plug.

We (not I, I hasten to add) were not popular when the diver who lifted one left it on the slipway where it fizzed and popped...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Ade View Post
    We found (many years ago) live Canon Balls in Plymouth. Iron balls which were filled with gunpowder so, when fired, they would go "bang" while airborne and cause shrapnel damage. Some didn't go off when fired so were on the seabed still full of gunpowder behind a wooden plug.

We (not I, I hasten to add) were not popular when the diver who lifted one left it on the slipway where it fizzed and popped...
    Well, you live and learn. Thanks for the education.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They were grenades which were close quarters anti-personnel weapons. The grenadiers (which is where the name comes from) would be stationed in the rigging and threw them at personnel on the other ship when they came alongside to board and capture the other vessel. The quailty of casting in those days was such that trying to fire them from a cannon would likely result in the cannon blowing up. Indeed, the last thing a gun crew wanted was a new cannon. It was not uncommon to find cnnons on ships which are far older than the ship itself. If you got a good cannon, you held on to it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thresher shark seen off Rathlin. Scroll down for the photos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57962485

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    They were grenades which were close quarters anti-personnel weapons. The grenadiers (which is where the name comes from) would be stationed in the rigging and threw them at personnel on the other ship when they came alongside to board and capture the other vessel. The quailty of casting in those days was such that trying to fire them from a cannon would likely result in the cannon blowing up. Indeed, the last thing a gun crew wanted was a new cannon. It was not uncommon to find cnnons on ships which are far older than the ship itself. If you got a good cannon, you held on to it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryofthewo...Ss2TfwLmTo5BgA

Cannon were test fired into an earth bank near to where the current A483 is; Cannon shot was found during the earthworks for construction.

Wilkinson is an "interesting" individual, originally a Quaker (as nearly every british industialist was), he had limited morals when it came to money, he sold cannon to both sides in the American war for independence.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Off topic but I'm trying very hard to remember the dive boat. I think the skipper was Roger, his wife was Sue and they had diver accommodation having purchased "next door" so that Sue popped through a connecting door to make breakfast. "Excalibur" comes to mind somewhere...

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_projectiles
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Off topic but I'm trying very hard to remember the dive boat. I think the skipper was Roger, his wife was Sue and they had diver accommodation having purchased "next door" so that Sue popped through a connecting door to make breakfast. "Excalibur" comes to mind somewhere...
    Plymouth, Really, Really, Really freaking slow boat?
    Spare cylinders stored below deck, access through a deck hatch that divers took turns in falling down when open?
    The skipper was head honcho for the professional boatmens association at the time I went on it.
    Boat ran from the harbour down from Bovisand.

That was Excalibur, cant remember any other names though.

Accommodation sounds about right, there was a compressor "off-site" as well.

That was a club trip most of us were trying to ignore the two members indulging in an affair, so it was dive, beer, "I see nothing".
    It was a really slow boat though.
    Last edited by jamesp; 27-07-2021 at 08:03 AM.