Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 591 of 598 FirstFirst ... 91491541581589590591592593 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,910 of 5973
    Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Thats put paid to my 5 a day plan then!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why are the wine growers worried. Not because of a small crop but because Monsieur might learn that there are good wines produced outside France. Dare I say better.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    Why are the wine growers worried. Not because of a small crop but because Monsieur might learn that there are good wines produced outside France. Dare I say better.
    A few years ago, an Australian red was voted the world's best wine at the world's biggest wine festival by the top wine experts. One of the newspaper wine critics took a bottle of this wine to one of the top French wine makers. He sampled it inside his Cave and walked to the entrance and went outside with a mouthful of wine and spat it out on the road outside. He said he would not descrate the sacred ground in his Cave with such utter vile rubbish!

In the view of the Fench, it is impossible to make a good wine anywhetre except France!

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In the same way that the Spanish, inundated with Orange and lemon trees, always reckon that the rubbish fruit is the stuff they send to us, maybe the French keep the best wine to themselves. A few years ago, while on a self catering holiday in Brittany, we made a point of trying as many local wines as possible from the stock on sale in the supermarkets. We had some amazing wines, all very cheap, and, of course, a few duffers. At the end of the holiday we attempted to buy more of the best that we'd tasted only to find that many were no longer on the shelves as they'd all come from small batches. The junk was blended and sold abroad, we were told.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What I really loved about touring the vineyards in Marlborougfh in New Zealand was the respect that they had for other, what many would consider competetive viniculturists. They would often say, we make this style of wine but if you go to xxxx they do it in a slightly different way and it would be worth trying their's as well. Visiting Cloudy Bay, where we had a really long chat with their head winemaker, we tried their new Pinot Noir but he said it wasn't up to the standard that they wanted and that we should go to Wither Hills and try theirs which was much better.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    In the same way that the Spanish, inundated with Orange and lemon trees, always reckon that the rubbish fruit is the stuff they send to us, maybe the French keep the best wine to themselves. A few years ago, while on a self catering holiday in Brittany, we made a point of trying as many local wines as possible from the stock on sale in the supermarkets. We had some amazing wines, all very cheap, and, of course, a few duffers. At the end of the holiday we attempted to buy more of the best that we'd tasted only to find that many were no longer on the shelves as they'd all come from small batches. The junk was blended and sold abroad, we were told.
    If you want decent wine the best way really is to buy from the vineyard. There is a lot of variety in big wine growing countries and some of the best stuff comes from small enterprises. The "new world" stuff is industrial and consistent and not bad but there is no soul to it, no adventure to be had. Sadly even in France this trend is unstoppable and big impersonal companies are buying up land and producing industrial wine. My experience of growers is that they do tend to drink a fair bit of the better vintages themselves but the sales from the vineyard will have the better stuff available. The quantities are too small to sell into supermarkets although some of the bigger growers do supply restaurants. French wine is best in France for sure and the Ozzie/New Zealand stuff tastes pretty much the same wherever you drink it and whatever vintage it is because it is an industrial product (one I like all the same).

The area near us is the Pic St Loup. (https://www.wineanorak.com/picstloup.htm) I really really like this and it is to my taste with good tannin and very strong sun drenched reds. It is part of the reason we bought where we did. It is far better than any supermarket new World stuff but you will not easily buy it in a UK supermarket (Sainsburys do one blended version at a tenner - not bad but a pale version of what is available locally).

The idea that "French" or "New Zealand" wines are best is bollocks and few, if any viticulturists in my experience think that. Most, in my experience think their wine is best and their neighbour's is not so good, that is if they have any prejudice at all. My MiL lives near a vineyard and it produces good sparkling white. (https://www.three-choirs-vineyards.co.uk/) I am not a big fan of white but that is nice stuff. We also used to enjoy the whites in Luxembourg when there and the sparkling whites from the Moselle banks where very good.

Most French supermarkets have a regional produce isle and most stock local wines. Virtually all of them are very nice and I have never had one I did not like and only ever recall one bottle I bought that was corked. One of the best I had was a white (ordered by mistake) in a restaurant on the drive home. To my annoyance I cannot remember where and I certainly cannot remember the name of the wine. It would have been a Loire. It was a yellow colour and the best white I have ever tasted. Period.

As well as the lovely French reds I was a big fan of the reds when we lived in Milan. The same thing applies - the best stuff came from the grower or from little outlets at the roadside. We did our trimix in lake Garda and there are some stonking reds grown round there. You have to physically go there and buy them as they are not sold internationally. And to be 100% fair there is a good bit of friendly ribbing between French and Italian wine growers, not to be taken seriously of course.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Naked Wines have an 'Angels' scheme where you pay in around 20 per month and they use this to crowd-fund small vineyards. We've had some excellent wines from them. You can even get to vote for wjhich vineyard you would like them to invest their money in.

I had one very nice New Zealand wine from them and I posted a review and got a very nice e-mail back from the winemaker.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://news.psu.edu/story/654519/20...s-implications

Really good news. Chocolate is good for you.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post
    https://news.psu.edu/story/654519/20...s-implications

Really good news. Chocolate is good for you.
    Very good news for me - I have non-alcoholic liver disease. I’m off to get a dose right now I think.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Scientists have discovered a way to breed politicians.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberth...n-part-monkey/