Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 558 of 623 FirstFirst ... 58458508548556557558559560568608 ... LastLast
Results 5,571 to 5,580 of 6225
    I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    There would only ever be one winner - the bull. Amazing the damage livestock & wildlife can do to a car.
    Example:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...istance%20away.

He must have been going a fair speed to not be able to stop and manage to do this amount of damage.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post

He must have been going a fair speed to not be able to stop and manage to do this amount of damage.
    Licking salt off of the road, regular with sheep on the Horseshoe pass locally; always used to put a kink in "qualifying times" of an evening.

I know one person who hit a cow, and wrote both the car and cow off, and two who have hit loose Horses; again terminal to car and beast.

One (Depthjunkie of old) had a photograph of the written off Saab in the showroom, as an example of the vehicle safety.

My Father nearly got taken out on the Verranda by a seagull in his youth. The impact broke the 3/16" bolts that held his fairing on.

Loose cows, I go to the farmer; loose sheep I`ve herded back into a field before now.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Many years ago, when I was at Uni, one of the guys in the diving club had an interesting experience. A new by-pass had been built which cut a farm in half so a bridge had been built over the road so that the farmer could move his livestock from one bit of the farm to another. Our club member was driving underneath the bridge when a herd of cows was being moved across when one of the cows backed up to the edge of the bridge and let fly. He experienced what could only be called a brown-out as the shit hit his windscreen and roof. He said he was glad that he wasn't driving a convertible!

They had to modify the bridge to stop the animals getting so close to the edge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Many years ago, when I was at Uni, one of the guys in the diving club had an interesting experience. A new by-pass had been built which cut a farm in half so a bridge had been built over the road so that the farmer could move his livestock from one bit of the farm to another. Our club member was driving underneath the bridge when a herd of cows was being moved across when one of the cows backed up to the edge of the bridge and let fly. He experienced what could only be called a brown-out as the shit hit his windscreen and roof. He said he was glad that he wasn't driving a convertible!

They had to modify the bridge to stop the animals getting so close to the edge.
    Friend of mine used to install and service milking parlors, He quickly became attuned to the warning signs of bovine release and the minimum safe distance required!

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More than the 40mph speed limit, which is why I despair at the "we should reduce the speed limit" reaction to this type of story - if the driver was doing 60+ in a 40mph limit, what makes you think they'll slow down if you make it 30?
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My m8 hit a deer in lime park
    He was doing about 10mph
    Wrecked the car and could have killed him as in came it through the window.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 16-01-2021 at 12:07 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    More than the 40mph speed limit, which is why I despair at the "we should reduce the speed limit" reaction to this type of story - if the driver was doing 60+ in a 40mph limit, what makes you think they'll slow down if you make it 30?
    My observation was a personal thought. Not quite sure why you made this comment.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My observation was a personal thought. Not quite sure why you made this comment.
    But a public statement and reasonably challenged.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    But a public statement and reasonably challenged.
    But I did not call for a reduction in speed limit I know that speeding drivers in the New Forest are a serious issue. To kill four ponies in one crash and do that amount of damage to a Discovery is IMHO shocking. The indigenous New Forrest pony is fairly small probably shorter than the level of the bonnet of a Discovery There are larger NF ponies but they tend to be bred on studs not by the approved stallions running semi ferally. Realistically the only way of slowing drivers down is to use physical means ie a hump across the whole road as the wheelbase of a 4x4 is just wide enough not to be troubled by traffic pillows.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The most effective speed bumps I have come across were on the road to the NCP car park near what used to be the Excelsior Hotel just off the Heathrow access road from the M4. They were angled across the road rather than at right angles and if you went over them too fast they nearly shook your teeth out. Not an experience you would want to repeat in a hurry!