Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 618 of 622 FirstFirst ... 118518568608616617618619620 ... LastLast
Results 6,171 to 6,180 of 6215
  1. #6171
    Remember, remember Adrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    2,332
    Likes (Given)
    1250
    Likes (Received)
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Probably chanced it, and got caught out by the rise in the road; that would increase his gauge height depending upon the vehicle wheelbase.
    The fact that they managed to get the cab and refrigerator pack through undamaged, and lifted the brick work on the bridge suggest that to me anyway.
    It's interesting that they're more concerned about damage to the line rather than damage to the bridge. One side is OK, so running. Masonry with unknown infill are complex buggers. Skew makes it worse. There's lateral and vertical damage there. I wonder if they'll just fill it with mass concrete. Won't be the first.

    Fortunately this guy is local https://www.billharveyassociates.com/ If he's ever speaking in your neck of the woods, go. Eye opening and not a little concerning.
    Last edited by Adrian; 31-08-2021 at 05:59 PM.
    Mah Nà Mah Nà

  2. #6172
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Belper, Europe
    Posts
    3,346
    Likes (Given)
    2267
    Likes (Received)
    2056
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    I guess the company will be liable for the repairs to the bridge and of course removal of offending vehicle. Bit of an expensive short cut!!!!!
    If they are able to then Network Rail should be claiming for the cost of delay minutes as well as the repair costs. The delay minutes are the expensive part. Depending on the time of day, the route and the affected services etc the delay costs can start at just a few pounds per minute through to £200+ per minute. I would guess that the delay costs will be around £40-50 per minute. Before you get you calculators out there is something that you need to consider - a train delayed by 1 minute may cost £45 but the reality is that there will be many more than 1 train affected so every minute may mean, say, 25 delay minutes. The delays are attributed for many reasons but could include not being able to run a train on time because the train taking the driver to the train was delayed - there are many, many ways that the bill could rack up hundreds of thousands of pounds of penalties.

    I hope the driver’s company has good insurance……. I also hope that the passengers inconvenienced claim the money from the train operators rather than letting them trouser the delay money - some train operators make their business case for a franchise based on them getting delay payments from Network Rail.
    Last edited by Jay_Benson; 31-08-2021 at 06:48 PM.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

  3. #6173
    Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Diving
    Posts
    3,221
    Likes (Given)
    1064
    Likes (Received)
    1958
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    If they are able to then Network Rail should be claiming for the cost of delay minutes as well as the repair costs. The delay minutes are the expensive part. Depending on the time of day, the route and the affected services etc the delay costs can start at just a few pounds per minute through to £200+ per minute. I would guess that the delay costs will be around £40-50 per minute. Before you get you calculators out there is something that you need to consider - a train delayed by 1 minute may cost £45 but the reality is that there will be many more than 1 train affected so every minute may mean, say, 25 delay minutes. The delays are attributed for many reasons but could include not being able to run a train on time because the train taking the driver to the train was delayed - there are many, many ways that the bill could rack up hundreds of thousands of pounds of penalties.

    I hope the driver’s company has good insurance……. I also hope that the passengers inconvenienced claim the money from the train operators rather than letting them trouser the delay money - some train operators make their business case for a franchise based on them getting delay payments from Network Rail.
    Yep. The concurrent delays are what hurt, you get charged until everything is back to normal.
    I may or may not have a £2m delay case ongoing. (3 days of disruption on the GWR).

    B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

  4. #6174
    Octopus Ink Team gpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Newport S.Wales & Rhodes Greece
    Posts
    2,998
    Likes (Given)
    2421
    Likes (Received)
    1361
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

  5. #6175
    I still don't have a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In my own world
    Posts
    3,295
    Likes (Given)
    1232
    Likes (Received)
    1247
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Yep. The concurrent delays are what hurt, you get charged until everything is back to normal.
    I may or may not have a £2m delay case ongoing. (3 days of disruption on the GWR).

    B
    Ouch!!
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

    I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

  6. #6176
    Established TDF Member jamesp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wrexham
    Posts
    5,309
    Likes (Given)
    2746
    Likes (Received)
    1988
    Another.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58406885

    Similar happened in Wrexham a few years back, except it was a hydraulic grab on a scrap wagon, and they hit a footbridge at over 40mph.
    Made a hell of a dent in the bridge!

  7. #6177
    I still don't have a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In my own world
    Posts
    3,295
    Likes (Given)
    1232
    Likes (Received)
    1247
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Another.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58406885

    Similar happened in Wrexham a few years back, except it was a hydraulic grab on a scrap wagon, and they hit a footbridge at over 40mph.
    Made a hell of a dent in the bridge!
    That is going to take a bit of living down..............
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

    I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

  8. #6178
    Prior Member Tim Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Midlands UK
    Posts
    4,910
    Likes (Given)
    3465
    Likes (Received)
    3784
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Another.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58406885

    Similar happened in Wrexham a few years back, except it was a hydraulic grab on a scrap wagon, and they hit a footbridge at over 40mph.
    Made a hell of a dent in the bridge!
    Thanks for that I am going to N Wales on Friday by road my route will be OK but I have passed the info on to others in the group coming from Llanelli whom it may affect if not fully sorted (which I doubt).
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

  9. #6179
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Broadway Cotswolds
    Posts
    1,780
    Likes (Given)
    223
    Likes (Received)
    814
    Dead bloke fired out of a cannon at music festival.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-58409876

    Just what folk do in Merseyside for grins I guess, At least they had the good fortune to cremate him first.
    Shame for all those vegans breathing in that "just cooked" taste I guess.

    Breathng Air to BS12021 no less.
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 01-09-2021 at 08:36 PM.

  10. #6180
    Prior Member Tim Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Midlands UK
    Posts
    4,910
    Likes (Given)
    3465
    Likes (Received)
    3784
    How very medieval, but at least as you say a little more hygienic.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •