Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 581 of 622 FirstFirst ... 81481531571579580581582583591 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,810 of 6215
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Are they edible?
    At least once.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Whatever floats your boat, as they say.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is really a helium tanker.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    It's not just the availabilty of spares, it's the price of them. I have always tried to repair things rather than replace them - hence the age of most of my dive gear! Our shower started misbehaving recently and I could isolate it down to three components. The only way to find out which was by 'suck it and see' which would require buying all three parts. The cost of these parts, which made up less than a quarter of the shower unit was more than the cost of buying a new shower.

The brother-in-law of a former club member was a design engineer for a major white goods manufacturer. He said that they were told to work to a seven year operational life and that basically if you hit this lifespan, it is not worth repairing one component because others are likely to fail soon afterwards.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    It's not just the availabilty of spares, it's the price of them. I have always tried to repair things rather than replace them - hence the age of most of my dive gear! Our shower started misbehaving recently and I could isolate it down to three components. The only way to find out which was by 'suck it and see' which would require buying all three parts. The cost of these parts, which made up less than a quarter of the shower unit was more than the cost of buying a new shower.

The brother-in-law of a former club member was a design engineer for a major white goods manufacturer. He said that they were told to work to a seven year operational life and that basically if you hit this lifespan, it is not worth repairing one component because others are likely to fail soon afterwards.
    Hence stealing motorcycles is usually (aside from joy riding) to break for spares.
    I'm still collecting the varuous Lidl and Aldi boxes of 'mixed xxxxxx'. They cost a couple of pounds and I've done lots of repairs to stuff which have more than covered the costs.

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post

Yep when our last dishwasher failed I was quite confident it was the heating element. But the heating element was 2/3 the cost of the dishwasher. And if I was wrong that was wasted money. And the cost of getting someone to check, and then the likely heating element was more than the cost of a new one.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Hence stealing motorcycles is usually (aside from joy riding) to break for spares.
    I'm still collecting the varuous Lidl and Aldi boxes of 'mixed xxxxxx'. They cost a couple of pounds and I've done lots of repairs to stuff which have more than covered the costs.
    And my wife accuses me of hoarding things in the garage - I've got drawers full of odds and ends which might come in useful. 99% never will but that remaining 1% has saved me a fortune.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.