Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 710 of 730 FirstFirst ... 210610660700708709710711712720 ... LastLast
Results 7,091 to 7,100 of 7292
    Established TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    I spend most days with a snap-off knife in my trousers, kept in the calf pocket that would have originally been for a folding wooden ruler. Sometimes still there when I go to the supermarket, pub etc, has been there a few times when going to the court buildings and police station. Even had it in my pocket on a flight to Gatwick a couple of years ago.
    How does the law differ in the Channel Islands, as I know that private pistol shooting is still allowed?

The flight to Gatwick is a lovely demonstration of how much the security at airports is just "security theatre"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I’m guessing that my Fairbairn–Sykes would be a no- no.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    The flight to Gatwick is a lovely demonstration of how much the security at airports is just "security theatre"
    To be fair (I do try to be) airport security is really really important. Just imagine if people were allowed to bring a bottle of water onto an airplane. Just imagine the carnage if it exploded.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    To be fair (I do try to be) airport security is really really important. Just imagine if people were allowed to bring a bottle of water onto an airplane. Just imagine the carnage if it exploded.
    It's far worse than that.
    What could happen if they were allowed to bring on a bottle of water that was not purchased in the 'Airside' shops?

What really amused me was a flight to Iceland where security pulled my bag because I forgot to put a half used tube of toothpaste in the mandatory plastic bag.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I had my bag searched at Gatwick because the sniffer in X-ray machine picked up a smell it didn't like. Has happened to one of my wife's bags as well.

US security can be a bit of a joke. On a flight from LA to Hawaii, the lady in the next row was having trouble getting her case into the overhead locker. I offere to help and was shocked at the weight of it - it contained 6 bottles of wine that she had bought at duty free in Paris.

The most thorough security I have come across was in China. They check everything very carefully, checking the contents of each case even though it has been through x-ray. However, they were incredibly polite and took great care to re-pack everything exactly where it was. So unlike the US security who effectly just ransack the contents and then tell you to p*** off.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It is what it is. I can't get excited about airport security, it's part of the price of travel. Security is staffed by people paid peanuts to deal with members of the public who turn into utter morons the moment they set foot in an airport. It's going to be a shit experience. Switch off, nod, STFU and try to get through as quickly as possible. It's time consuming but can't say I've ever really had any hassle. Just from watching others it seems a lot of people make life hard for themselves. A bit of preparation, a bit of common sense. The only real time I've ever had more than just an inconvenience was travelling to Turkey at the height of the Syrian war when big men in drab suits were grilling solo travellers at the gate.

The only other time was entirely self-inflicted. The best way to do a long journey is heavily medicated so I took a couple of tramadol just before a flight from Hong Kong back to here. It kicked in a bit harder than I expected and I ended up locking myself in the bog for half an hour, convinced the Chinese secret service were watching me and then desperately trying to look normal as I went through security.
    Last edited by notdeadyet; 01-07-2022 at 09:06 AM.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    It is what it is. I can't get excited about airport security, it's part of the price of travel. Security is staffed by people paid peanuts to deal with members of the public who turn into utter morons the moment they set foot in an airport. It's going to be a shit experience. Switch off, nod, STFU and try to get through as quickly as possible. It's time consuming but can't say I've ever really had any hassle. Just from watching others it seems a lot of people make life hard for themselves. A bit of preparation, a bit of common sense.
    Completely agree. It's all down to preparation, common sense and not drawing attention to oneself. A bit of patience and a good book work wonders. :-)

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidge View Post
    Completely agree. It's all down to preparation, common sense and not drawing attention to oneself. A bit of patience and a good book work wonders. :-)
    I like to watch the muppets that don't think an electric toothbrush, a pair of straighteners and a hair drier count as electrical devices as they get their bags tipped out. Or playing spot the gammon who is going to try to argue his way through security. I love how each one thinks he's going to be the first one to manage it.
    Last edited by notdeadyet; 01-07-2022 at 11:30 AM.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.