Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 595 of 601 FirstFirst ... 95495545585593594595596597 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,950 of 6002
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Some of the anti vax shite that I have heard recently(in person), from people with IQs allegedly above room temperature, has been shall we say, "a little challenging".
    The problem is people can believe all sorts of shit even if they are intelligent in other respects. Belief and cognitive skills are not really related which is why idiots like me shouting twat at people tend to get nowhere

It is frustrating though....
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think there are two sorts of people, those who believe in (as Douglas Adams put it) the essential relatedness of all things. That is that man's efforts to understand and produce a framework on which our world stands all have to link up and a failure to link bits of knowledge produces that great term I only came across a couple of years ago, Cognitive Dissonance, that is it is deeply offensive to them. The other sort seem perfectly happy to have, often a deep understanding of areas of knowledge but don't care if they link up to other bits. It's like doing a jigsaw (human knowledge that is) and being content to collect and put together all the bits of trees and all the bits of walls but not bothering to link them together. It's not intelligence its something else, a need to want to see however blurry, the big picture.
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 28-04-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A poster a colleague at work had on his office wall

'Some people have minds like concrete - all mixed up and permanently set'

Unfortunately applies to quite a lot of people.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    I think there are two sorts of people, those who believe in (as Douglas Adams put it) the essential relatedness of all things. That is that man's efforts to understand and produce a framework on which our world stands all have to link up and a failure to link bits of knowledge produces that great term I only came across a couple of years ago, Cognitive Dissonance, that is it is deeply offensive to them. The other sort seem perfectly happy to have, often a deep understanding of areas of knowledge but don't care if they link up to other bits. It's like doing a jigsaw (human knowledge that is) and being content to collect and put together all the bits of trees and all the bits of walls but not bothering to link them together. It's not intelligence its something else, a need to want to see however blurry, the big picture.
    Yeah, sort of. I think you are correct that many people appear content not to look at the whole thing, but my view is they simply don't want to because it is too scary, not because they are unable to. One of the hardest things IMHO is the ability to understand that other people can be (and are) comprehensively different to yourself in outlook and aspiration and that our collective shortcoming is using our own viewpoint as a benchmark.

The vaccination loonies almost certainly are trying to block out the reality of the disease and downplay their fear. If the pandemic is [insert conspiracy of choice] you don't need the remedial measures and so the remedial measures are because of [insert conspiracy of choice].
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56938657

Still only halfway up the list. To give a sense of proportion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...toll#Stampedes

Interesting that a high proportion are religious festivals. Even more if you count football.
    Tim Digger

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post

Still only halfway up the list. To give a sense of proportion.

Interesting that a high proportion are religious festivals. Even more if you count football.
    To quote Bill Shankley - "Football is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that."
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/natural...r-crab-7901524
    Kicking off somewhat on the EDP's FB page, but you can't link to just one item in their timeline.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/natural...r-crab-7901524
    Kicking off somewhat on the EDP's FB page, but you can't link to just one item in their timeline.
    It did rather didn't it.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why the fuss from the fishermen? It’s not as if they can sell them in the EU anymore since they voted to leave.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is an area where beliefs and rights are all. It has been the target of vested interests, irrespective of obvious flaws in data, for decades. There is a belief in fishermen , whether they are braving the seas or sitting on a canal bank as to their right to catch fish! Irrespective of whether the stocks can bear that loss.
    My grandfather ran a fish and chip shop, during war years the queues were towards a hundred strong, but I remember as a nipper the fish boxes about two and a half feet long were full end to end with a single cod, he got 4 portions out of a fish. Now looking at other peoples cod and chips (I wont buy cod much as I love it) a portion is a whole fish! QED fishermen are pulling out young cod, they may or may not have been fortunate enough to continue their species.
    It has to stop and anything that f**ks up commercial fishing is good as far as I'm concerned.
    Now on a larger scale, the tendency towards vegetarianism is not actually a good thing, as many people regard fish as vegetables! Hence the mind set I don't eat nice furry animals but increase my demand for seafood? The only logical response is veganism, but I personally like meat and fish but have been trying to reduce all non vegan input.
    It is a dilemma and while I would agree with some views expressed by Chrish that we can feed all the human population with an adequate intake, I would ask should we? And if not how do we reduce the human population, the four horsemen seem the only answer for the rest of the biosphere!

I just hope no one shows lentils are intelligent!
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 08-05-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    Tim Digger