Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 756 of 782 FirstFirst ... 256656706746754755756757758766 ... LastLast
Results 7,551 to 7,560 of 7814
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    I was just looking at Wildlife t-shirt carrying the slogan 'what happens next is up to us', and thought that can apply to many things.
    Us equals me and you, not the other chap.
    I'm still of a mind that there are no accidents, just incidents you didn't prepare for. SMIDSYs, for example, are not as inevitable as some people seem to think, if you approach the situation assuming that the daft beggar definitely hasn't seen you, even if you think they have.
    When driving the car, I tend to work on the assumption that the other driver is a useless idiot until they prove otherwise. For example, I don't turn right across a lane until the other driver has started their turn or they have slowed to the extent that it is the only conceivable option - it doesn't matter if they are indicating or I have looked them in the eyes. The only proof of intent is their actual action. Treat them like assholes and you will only be pleasantly surprised when they show they can actually drive - the bad drivers just confirm your normal assumption.

When on the bike (road or MTB - no motorbike), this becomes especially true irrespective of whatever clothing I am wearing (hi vis etc).

IIRC the military did research about the whole SMIDSY issue as it relates to pilots and it is a definite thing. They actually train pilots to change the way they look as opposed to scanning (which is what most of us do) https://www.cyclingnorthwales.uk/cam...nt-for-safety/

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post

IIRC the military did research about the whole SMIDSY issue as it relates to pilots and it is a definite thing. They actually train pilots to change the way they look as opposed to scanning (which is what most of us do) https://www.cyclingnorthwales.uk/cam...nt-for-safety/
    Not just the military. They also teach that in microlight training. Don’t know if I’ve managed to do that on the road?
    Last edited by MarkA; 25-11-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Not just the military. They also teach that in microlight training. Don’t know if I’ve managed to do that on the road?
    As yet, I've never had a microlight pull out of a side road in front of me, so maybe the training works.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    As yet, I've never had a microlight pull out of a side road in front of me, so maybe the training works.
    Maybe you didn't see it.
    Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A great pity my OH has visited it and says it was a very impressive and educational exhibit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63772864

Henry Wellcome created The Wellcome Trust which does a massive amount for health research all over the world https://wellcome.org/
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Interesting that a number of the incidents involve cyclists riding across that pedestrian crossing. I've had several near misses with cyclists suddenly swinging off the pavement on to a crossing in front of me.I had an argument with one who had a real go at me and wouldn't accept that pedestrian crossings were meant for pedestrians, not cyclists.
    ...as they should not be cycling on the pavement in the first place? (and, yes, we have this too)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Ade View Post
    ...as they should not be cycling on the pavement in the first place? (and, yes, we have this too)
    It is a fixed penalty offence that most police forces refuse to implement as it is a stupid law. https://www.first4lawyers.com/news-a...are-the-rules/

The issues are complex but clearly if one cannot cycle on the pavement it is also (in spirit if not in law) wrong for the proliferation of so called "mobility" scooters to have access to a section of the road that is designed and designated for people on foot. Such contraptions are much larger and much more dangerous than a pedal cycle. They are, to all intents and purposes, an electric quad bike. Such vehicles exist (https://www.quad-warehouse.com/reneg...kids-quad-bike) and are pretty potent - should kids (who often cycle on the path) be allowed to ride (at up to 25mph) on such a vehicle?

Having lived in London and worked in the centre I can easily see why many people are pissed off with push bikes. The courier riders are nuts and generally fail to observe any kind of courtesy or safety protocols. If that is one's only experience you could easily be anti cyclist. Equally only a complete arse would demand that a small child should ride in the traffic because s/he is not allowed on the path. Of course a lot of people are a complete arse.

Good and bad on both sides. I have just dropped my bike off at the shop for a service. Yes - I did for a short distance before you ask
    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
    With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    Nice to see the "no religion" figure going up to match the fall in Christianity. I think I read that the 2011 peak was down to eastern European migration so the danger is that the fall in Christianity is just Brexit and people returning home. And the Daily Mail types getting goggly-eyed about Islam going up. But that's a heart-warming chunk of society ticking the no religion box. Progress in the right direction.

My local church is now self-sustaining as a cafe & post office, and occasional cinema, music venue and community centre. Services are minimal, I think the one vicar is shared between 3 other churches. I'd imagine it will only be a few years before it's a purely secular facility (assuming the CoE don't strop off in a huff and just close it).
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.