Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nautilus Lifeline and MMSI

I've just got a Nautilus Lifeline. It says that the red distress button will not work until I have entered my MMSI number. I have followed the link to the ofcom website, but am not really any closer to getting an MMSI allocated.

My understanding is that an MMSI is normally issued for a boat, do I need to find a friendly skipper and use their MMSI, which will at least activate the unit - but what if I then need to use it when I'm on a different boat/diving from shore? Will this not cause confusion and possible delay my rescue?

Anyhow, everyone who has bought one must have this problem (I'm surprised it doesn't come with instructions as to how to sort this out), so hopefully at least one other person out there has got one and worked it out...if that is you, then please can you tell me what I need to do!

Thanks,
    Tony.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    go the ofcom website and register for an MMSI in your own name for a portable DSC radio. you do not need a vessel name.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Register with OFCOM, stick your MMSI number in. Oh and don't set the region to GB set it to International.
    Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    go the ofcom website and register for an MMSI in your own name for a portable DSC radio. you do not need a vessel name.
    Have you done this? I've got as far as the page for "Ship Portable Radio licence application" but on the "add radio equipment" VHF/DSC portable line, there is a blank box to enter the MMSI number. Presumably I have to fill in some other page to get an MMSI number, but it's not immediately obvious. Not to me anyhow. Can you point me in the right direction?

Ta

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did it a couple of years back. do a search on here there's a couple of threads about applying for a T number.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yep, I searched on here and read all the MMSI threads, and did a wider google search, before posting, but couldn't find anything concrete, only vague statements about applying to Ofcom for the MMSI. Maybe I scanned over the bit I need.

Anyone else done it more recently?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The OFCOM site has to be one of the unfriendliest ones out there. It's even worse if you have to call them.
    Tea Boy

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bounce. I've not made any progress here. Am I the first person to buy one of these in the UK? Surely there must be someone out there who has been through this pain already who can save me from going through the same...I think Timw has nailed the Ofcom website.

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I just filled in the form on the offcom site and got a MMSI for a portable radio (didn't even need the vhf licence details from the course I did to use it legitimately). Then used the lifeline app to set the device up.

Woz - why set to International and not GB?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverMike View Post
    I just filled in the form on the offcom site and got a MMSI for a portable radio (didn't even need the vhf licence details from the course I did to use it legitimately). Then used the lifeline app to set the device up.

Woz - why set to International and not GB?
    Cos it didn't work at all (VHF send/receive) when set to GB.
    Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast