Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazel W
    New TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Lots of misinformation on the web (some of it on sites that should know better) with regards to the names of the Loyal Class boats but rest assured (we have her log) that she was launched in 1974 as RMAS Loyal factor, became HMS Vigilant in 1975 when she was used as a patrol boat with RM boarding parties in and around Carlingford Lough Northern Ireland. She was then returned to civilian service with Serco Denholm in 1986 (then just "Denholm") in Western Scotland as Meavy.
    She was recalled in 1992 to the RMAS as Sultan Venturer (attached to HMS Sultan at Gosport the Royal Naval School of Marine Engineering (RNSME)) as a training vessel before being finally sold out of service in 2001

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thirteen ships of the Royal Navy have borne the name HMS Vigilant:
    HMS Vigilant (1755) was a schooner, which served on the Canadian lakes. She was captured by the French in 1756.
    HMS Vigilant (1774) was a 64 gun third rate ship of the line, built in 1774. She was converted to a prison ship in 1799, and sank in 1806. She was subsequently raised several months later, and broken up in 1814.
    HMS Vigilant (1777) was an armed ship purchased in 1777, formerly the Empress of Russia. She was burnt as unfit in 1780.
    HMS Vigilant (1803) was a schooner, purchased in 1803, and sold in 1808.
    HMS Vigilant (1806) was previously the French schooner Imperial, captured by HMS Cygnet in 1806, and later that year, renamed HMS Subtle. She was wrecked off Bermuda in 1807.
    HMS Vigilant (1821) was a cutter built in 1821 and sold in 1832.
    HMS Vigilant (1846) was a wood screw frigate, ordered in 1846, but cancelled in 1849.
    HMS Vigilant (1856) was a wood screw gunvessel, built in 1856 and sold in 1869.
    HMS Vigilant (1871) was a wood paddle dispatch boat, built in 1871, and sold in 1886 to serve as a dispatch boat in Hong Kong.
    HMS Vigilant (1900) was a C-class destroyer, built speculatively by the yards of John Brown & Company, launched in 1900 and bought that year by the navy. She was sold in 1920 for breaking up.
    HMS Vigilant (R93) was a V-class destroyer that saw service during World War II. She was later converted into a Type 15 fast anti-submarine frigate.
    HMS Vigilant (1975) was a patrol boat launched in March 1975, and renamed Meavy in July 1986.
    HMS Vigilant (S30) is a Vanguard-class submarine, commissioned in November 1996 and currently in service.

PS.
    Interestingly when we were recently pulling out all the accommodation fittings all the wooden panels had "HMS Vigilant " and things like "Port aft top bunk " etc written in ink on the back, except one ...which had a crossed out "HMS Alert" (Loyal Governer)

PPS
    Also interestingly the ex chief engineer of Alert (ex Loyal Governer) lives in Stromness and is being a little help with her
    Last edited by Hazel W; 06-01-2013, 11:18 AM.
    Dive Scapa Flow and Shetland 59-60 degrees North
    Taking Diving to a Higher Latitude 07795966903
    www.mv-valkyrie.co.uk

Comment

• Hazel W
      New TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Rich
      I'm no expert, but I suspect she wasn't the VIGILANT...
      Depends on when your talking about
      Before your time evidently

Hazel
      Dive Scapa Flow and Shetland 59-60 degrees North
      Taking Diving to a Higher Latitude 07795966903
      www.mv-valkyrie.co.uk

Comment

• Helen F H
        Cause of diets.
        • Dec 2012

There you go, evidence of her previous life:

There is also another load of confusion due to her number changing which throws a lot of people off the scent and probably resulted in a lot of the misinformation out there
        Crew aboard the MV Valkyrie in Scapa Flow & Shetland
        Taking diving to a higher latitude
        Dive Scapa Flow
        Dive Shetland

Comment

• Rich
          Sailorbuoy...
          • Dec 2012

Valkyrie & Valhalla

So when Vigilant's mess deck was refurbed perhaps the panels made their way onboard?

I spent a pleasant week on a Fleet Tender as a cadet in 1983...

Really looking forward to diving off her.

Rich W

Comment

• Gasmuncher
            John Touhig
            • Dec 2012

Any chance of a little tour when we come up next year?

Originally posted by Hazel W
            Lots of misinformation on the web (some of it on sites that should know better) with regards to the names of the Loyal Class boats but rest assured (we have her log) that she was launched in 1974 as RMAS Loyal factor, became HMS Vigilant in 1975 when she was used as a patrol boat with RM boarding parties in and around Carlingford Lough Northern Ireland. She was then returned to civilian service with Serco Denholm in 1986 (then just "Denholm") in Western Scotland as Meavy.
            She was recalled in 1992 to the RMAS as Sultan Venturer (attached to HMS Sultan at Gosport the Royal Naval School of Marine Engineering (RNSME)) as a training vessel before being finally sold out of service in 2001

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thirteen ships of the Royal Navy have borne the name HMS Vigilant:
            HMS Vigilant (1755) was a schooner, which served on the Canadian lakes. She was captured by the French in 1756.
            HMS Vigilant (1774) was a 64 gun third rate ship of the line, built in 1774. She was converted to a prison ship in 1799, and sank in 1806. She was subsequently raised several months later, and broken up in 1814.
            HMS Vigilant (1777) was an armed ship purchased in 1777, formerly the Empress of Russia. She was burnt as unfit in 1780.
            HMS Vigilant (1803) was a schooner, purchased in 1803, and sold in 1808.
            HMS Vigilant (1806) was previously the French schooner Imperial, captured by HMS Cygnet in 1806, and later that year, renamed HMS Subtle. She was wrecked off Bermuda in 1807.
            HMS Vigilant (1821) was a cutter built in 1821 and sold in 1832.
            HMS Vigilant (1846) was a wood screw frigate, ordered in 1846, but cancelled in 1849.
            HMS Vigilant (1856) was a wood screw gunvessel, built in 1856 and sold in 1869.
            HMS Vigilant (1871) was a wood paddle dispatch boat, built in 1871, and sold in 1886 to serve as a dispatch boat in Hong Kong.
            HMS Vigilant (1900) was a C-class destroyer, built speculatively by the yards of John Brown & Company, launched in 1900 and bought that year by the navy. She was sold in 1920 for breaking up.
            HMS Vigilant (R93) was a V-class destroyer that saw service during World War II. She was later converted into a Type 15 fast anti-submarine frigate.
            HMS Vigilant (1975) was a patrol boat launched in March 1975, and renamed Meavy in July 1986.
            HMS Vigilant (S30) is a Vanguard-class submarine, commissioned in November 1996 and currently in service.

PS.
            Interestingly when we were recently pulling out all the accommodation fittings all the wooden panels had "HMS Vigilant " and things like "Port aft top bunk " etc written in ink on the back, except one ...which had a crossed out "HMS Alert" (Loyal Governer)

PPS
            Also interestingly the ex chief engineer of Alert (ex Loyal Governer) lives in Stromness and is being a little help with her

Comment

• Helen F H
              Cause of diets.
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Gasmuncher
              Any chance of a little tour when we come up next year?
              Just ask when you get up and she will gladly take you for a look around!
              Crew aboard the MV Valkyrie in Scapa Flow & Shetland
              Taking diving to a higher latitude
              Dive Scapa Flow
              Dive Shetland

Comment

• Gasmuncher
                John Touhig
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Helen F H
                Just ask when you get up and she will gladly take you for a look around!
                Thank you.

Comment

• aquamarine-charters
                  New TDF Member
                  • Jan 2013

Loyal watcher is for sale.

Comment

• dwhitlow
                    Coastal Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by aquamarine-charters
                    Loyal watcher is for sale.
                    I really enjoyed my successful trips on Watcher and hope it gets bought for diving!

Comment

• trebor
                      TDF Member
                      • Feb 2013

Cant say I enjoyed my trip on the Loyal Watcher. Never again

Rob

Comment

• dwhitlow
                        Coastal Member
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by trebor
                        Cant say I enjoyed my trip on the Loyal Watcher. Never again
                        I enjoyed my previous trips and it will be a loss if it moves away from diving.

Comment

• Scuttler
                          I've got a semi by the sea
                          • Dec 2012

Keep us updated on Valhalla....we'd be interested in chartering her and I have already pencilled some dates in the diary
                          Weymouth & Portland Sub Aqua Club (BSAC 0853)

Fish are food not friends

Comment

• Letz
                            TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Scuttler
                            Keep us updated on Valhalla....we'd be interested in chartering her and I have already pencilled some dates in the diary
                            I have always loved my times on Valkyrie ( and Stormdrift ) and am very excited to hear about Valhalla
                            Here's hoping I get an opportunity to dive off her aswell

Comment

• Tas
                              Hi everyone!
                              • Dec 2012

Looking forward to diving with you in August
                              The poster formerly known as tstrachan on some other dive forum.... the 'T' is for Tara, not Tom

Comment

• ratcliffe
                                Custard Member
                                • Dec 2012

Its a boat. Its got a name. Its now owned by a top group of people and will be used for some wonderful trips.

Nuff said

Comment

Working...