Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitnab Nhoj
    Hard Astern
    • Dec 2012

The air in a jacket-style BC or a wing-style BC goes to the same place when the correctly weighted diver is horizontal ie. the highest point behind the shoulders. The flotation low down in a jacket-style BC only comes into effect when the diver is horizontal with it fully-inflated at the surface. Sounds like the OP needs to look at the position of his ballast rather than the BC.
    Last edited by Nitnab Nhoj; 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM.
    It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

Comment

• Mike Ward
      What could possibly go wrong?
      • Jan 2013

FWIW, if you're also diving in a shorty the bare legs will be less buoyant than legs clad in neoprene, the reverse of floaty feet in a drysuit.

Comment

• sheesh
        Rob Hill
        • Dec 2012

If you can get ankle weights is there anyone who does ankle floats?

Comment

• Mike Ward
          What could possibly go wrong?
          • Jan 2013

Some of that thick foam pipe lagging?

Comment

• o2dependant
            M@
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Mike Ward
            FWIW, if you're also diving in a shorty the bare legs will be less buoyant than legs clad in neoprene, the reverse of floaty feet in a drysuit.
            Interesting. This was actually in a 3mm shortie( and a first and only). Usually I'm in a full suit. Was weighted properly I checked in and out

Comment

• Janos
              "Three Sheds"
              • Dec 2012

Try moving a few kg up to the camband. You can get pockets which thread on to the camband which are perfect for this, and make swapping the cylinder over much easier.

My own revelation was on a course a few years back. I put my 15l cylinder in for a fill, but someone in another group picked it up. Fortunately one of the instructors on the event had a spare cylinder which I borrowed, although it was only a 10 litre cylider.

By some pure fluke, this put the weight right in the middle of my back, and I was able to float, godlike, in horizontal trim. I put my 15l on the next day (it turned up over night) and then I was fighting the kit for the rest of the dive. I then started moving the weight around inch by inch until I was trimmed neutrally.

Fast forward a few years and I've a few more dives under my belt and now the weight distribution is less critical. I can trim most sets of kit out by moving feet arms and legs. So - I was spend a bit of time faffing with weights and improving your trim, but use the weights as a gross adjustment and fine tune with your body.

For BC vs wing, I don't think it matters that much. You're only going to have a couple of litre of air (so 2kg) in it and you need to put that into the context of whatever you have on your weightbelt. Go for whatever you like the look of and is comfy. If you can try it out a few times beforehand then so much the better.

Janos
              You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
              Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
              My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

Comment

• ootini
                Complete member
                • Dec 2012

If you're ever around north Wales you're welcome to have a go on my rig.
                The Curry Bible

@daverobinson80

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                  Established WTF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ootini
                  If you're ever around north Wales you're welcome to have a go on my rig.
                  You are starting to sound like Jimmy Savile.

There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
                  Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• ootini
                    Complete member
                    • Dec 2012

Jingle jangle !
                    The Curry Bible

@daverobinson80

Comment

• holly
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

i dropped the tank down a couple inches lower when i was struggling to get horizontal and it made loads of difference, also spread the lead about so that i had more in my trim pockets at the back and less at the sides of the BCD seemed to work well. Have you tried diving with a drysuit yet? That might lift your legs up a bit but its generally a weighting problem more than BCD vs Wing . I had floaty feet tho so you may need to move your tank up. Also check you arnt overweighted
                      Last edited by holly; 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM.
                      work/play/work/play/work/play

Comment

• o2dependant
                        M@
                        • Dec 2012

I'll remeber the offer. Thanks..

Comment

• ootini
                          Complete member
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by o2dependant
                          I'll remeber the offer. Thanks..
                          First thing you'll notice is the fcuking weight of it all when you try and stand up. Still makes me cry like a bitch.
                          The Curry Bible

@daverobinson80

Comment

• Hot Totty
                            Red Hot Totty ;)
                            • Dec 2012

Trims trim, achievable in either BCD or wing - it's just easier in a wing
                            www.wapsac.co.uk
                            Apparently becoming a grandad

Comment

• Nitnab Nhoj
                              Hard Astern
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Hot Totty
                              Trims trim, achievable in either BCD or wing - it's just easier in a wing
                              I can honestly say that I have used virtually every buoyancy control device available between 1985 and late 2012 and can confirm that what you say is misleading!
                              It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

Comment

• Hot Totty
                                Red Hot Totty ;)
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Nitnab Nhoj
                                I can honestly say that I have used virtually every buoyancy control device available between 1985 and late 2012 and can confirm that what you say is misleading!
                                In what way?
                                www.wapsac.co.uk
                                Apparently becoming a grandad

Comment

Working...