Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buoyancy vs trim vs BCD vs Wing

I知 still relatively new to diving. And am relying on rental equipment for the moment. So each time I dive or should I say each set of diving that I do usually requires me to use different equipment.

I have benefitted from it. Had I been in the UK when certified I would have likely bought all my gear before the first class, and by now looking to replace some of it.

I have used a few masks that I really liked and decided on certain items that I felt work well for me. I have had the opportunity to try out a back plate and wing that I felt will be my preferred choice for my setup. And have decided on my fins, Dive computer, torch, SMB style, bought my booties leaving the only thing I really need to work out is what suit and regulator kit( all the regs I have used have been as good as one another)

I have found that my buoyancy during the dive is fine. I can hold a line and get around objects get vertical to look under coral tables etc and feel really comfortable. Some comments made have led me to believe that I知 doing ok for my level of experience. I think its down to my high level of activity and my conscious effort to improve my skills that has benefitted me most.

I have been reading about Trim and my last set of dives I decided to see where I was. So whilst I was waiting for the others to join me and my buddy on the bottom (one was a little light on lead) I got horizontal and held it for a moment. I noticed my legs slowly sinking down and I started to turn belly up. So I shifted my weight belt a bit and got to the point where I was still dropping my feet but no longer turning over.

I guessed I would move a few lbs up onto the tank to try and balance myself out for the next dive. Sticking a weight onto the back of the tank made me vulnerable to turning belly up again and I had to move all my remaining weights front side to counteract it. My feet were still dipping.

I知 now thinking that due to my trim issues I must be constantly counteracting my negative feet in order to maintain my horizontal position in the water and look ok doing it. So this must be affecting my buoyancy.
    Is my Buoyancy control there for artificial? I知 thinking I知 probably negatively buoyant and using my legs to push up to maintain neutral and level my trim at the same time.
    Once I get my own kit I plan to spend some time in a pool somewhere with a camera to see how I am

Any tips on trim and whether I would be best suited to a wing or BCD as my first BC purchase would be much appreciated? I don稚 plan on getting tech but will develop my training and certifications over the coming years.

Still making God laugh... Stevie H's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why couldn't you have started this thread yesterday???

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Buoyancy vs trim vs BCD vs Wing

I also have feet that sink all the time and cannot hold the "horizontal, legs slightly bent" position whilst remaining still. If I stop finning, the legs drop.

I've moved some weights to the trim pocket of my Oceanic Biolite but this atill did not solve the problem.

I'm guessing it will come from experience. I don't think your buoyancy is "false". Just like me you have heavy legs. In my OW course there was a student with very floaty legs who required a large amount of ankle weights in order not to get upside down involuntarily.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Buoyancy vs trim vs BCD vs Wing

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie H View Post
    Why couldn't you have started this thread yesterday???
    I'm guessing OP wasn't trying to start a ruck ot otherwise endless and pointless discussion about horizontal trim, but was just looking for advice on how to achieve the horizontal trim he wants to have.

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A wing for sure, plenty of people like me with BCDs in the shed.

If you can, book a day with Mark Powell or Garf to sort out your trim, shouldn't be a problem for them.

Won't Mention Miflex. Graham Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    A wing for sure, plenty of people like me with BCDs in the shed.

If you can, book a day with Mark Powell or Garf to sort out your trim, shouldn't be a problem for them.

Spot on.

A wing will "Suspend" you in the water while a BCD will "Support" you in the water (think where the buoyancy is in a wing in relation to your body, and a BCD, which often has lots a buoyancy around the front of the jacket, which can tend to pivot your legs downwards as the jacket lifts). A wing will also give you more options over where you want the gas to be in the bladder, rather than where it has to be in a BCD.

I think a great deal of you "problem" (I don't see it as a problem, but a learning curve still) might be your perception of "Horizontal". Have you referenced yourself against anything you know to be flat and horizontal in the water? Even staying a couple of inches off the bottom to get a "Feel" for what is flat?

While I know many people who have attended workshops with Mark and Garf may have sworn that they were "Feet Light" and needed ankle weight, the vast majority come away without them. I think the same may apply to you in reverse....

Best of luck with it.

G
    If Eastbourne Had helium.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buoyancy vs trim vs BCD vs Wing

If I had my time again I would go straight for a wing. I, like many, grew up diving a buddy BCD and discovered a wing recently. It makes a big positive improvement over the jacket.
    I still have my buddy and will continue to use it until I get a single tank wing (my research is leading to me towards Halcyon eclipse. )

Won't Mention Miflex. Graham Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicStomp View Post
    I still have my buddy and will continue to use it until I get a single tank wing (my research is leading to me towards Halcyon eclipse. )
    If the H's are a bit pricey, try Dare2Dive gear - almost identical, fantastic quality, and much cheaper. DTD - Dare to dive

G
    If Eastbourne Had helium.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    thanks - I've got to get my twin setup squared away first....i've just been on a course where I dived a Halycon Evolve system and I am a convert....I have a shiny(ish) pair of twin 12 fabers to marry to a new wing....which means using the buddy for a while longer on my single 15...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just looked at DTD - some excellent prices there..thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Smith View Post
    If the H's are a bit pricey, try Dare2Dive gear - almost identical, fantastic quality, and much cheaper. DTD - Dare to dive

G

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast